+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default The End of the Circus?

The Ringling Brothers and Barnum & Bailey circuses are closing down after almost 150 years. They've blamed the closure on declining ticket sales due to removing large animals from their acts, saying that people concerned for the animal's welfare don't want them performing, but that people then don't come to the circus as the animals were the main attraction. https://www.google.com.au/url?sa=t&s...Spfzh8aK87MLmw

What are your thoughts on animals being used for entertainment? Does it depend on the setting? Do you feel different about animals in theme parks (eg. Dreamworld/Seaworld)? What about zoos? Do those thoughts extend to animals used in film & tv? Animal tourism? Where is your personal "line in the sand"? Does it change your view if it's to benefit preservation of species, or is there still a better way to do it?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I'm not a fan of animals being used in entertainment in terms of being trained to perform 'tricks'. I cringe when I think these beautiful creatures may be punished if they don't perform as required. Plus they are so far removed from their natural habitat and can't move around freely (I imagine they'd be caged when they're not training or performing).

As for zoos and the like, I don't frown on them to the same degree as the animals tend to be treated with more dignity and kindness. My DH used to volunteer at Taronga and the keepers really are dedicated to caring for the animals. Some of the species are rare and require protection, so they're not solely housed for display.

The line in the sand for me is when it is obvious the animal is being kept in an environment which is not suitable/comfortable for them, or when it appears their care needs are not being met.

As for theme parks, I feel ill that huge marine creatures like the Orca are kept in small pools and trained to entertain. Research shows how damaging this is to the animal, yet it continues.

3. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Mod-Degrassi For This Useful Post:

Frankenmum  (16-01-2017),gingermillie  (16-01-2017),Jast  (17-01-2017),Mod-Zeddie  (17-01-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

Thank the lord! I've been protesting circuses since I was 14! I don't go to or will take DS to zoos, circuses, sea world ect I can't look at a wild animal out of its own environment and be happy about it
    That ad for the Canberra zoo where you sleep in a room next to a caged tiger made me what to throw up

5. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Elijahs Mum For This Useful Post:

BornToBe  (17-01-2017),Frankenmum  (16-01-2017),Jast  (17-01-2017),Tinkers  (16-01-2017),yadot  (16-01-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I'm not keen on the circus because they don't serve the animals in a way that zoos or wildlife parks do. A circus is just performing animals, whereas I do think zoos and wildlife parks play an important role in education and conservation. For me, the line in the sand is animals such as the orcas at SeaWorld - those whales suffer in an enclosed environment, so should not be kept as such. However, SeaWorld do rehabilitate and release many animals back into the wild, so I don't think they're all bad.
    There are many animals that benefit from captivity (I think we would have more extinct species if it weren't for zoos and parks). Orcas aren't one of those animals.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to TaylorMade For This Useful Post:

Frankenmum  (16-01-2017)

Mod-Nomsie is offline Administrator
    Winner 2009/10/11/12/13 - Most helpful Moderator
    Winner 2011 - Naughtiest/Cheekiest Mod
    Winner - Quickest 'Thanker' on the Hub
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 15/1/15
    Quote Originally Posted by Elijahs Mum View Post
    Thank the lord! I've been protesting circuses since I was 14! I don't go to or will take DS to zoos, circuses, sea world ect I can't look at a wild animal out of its own environment and be happy about it
    That ad for the Canberra zoo where you sleep in a room next to a caged tiger made me what to throw up
    I'm just interested- zoos and wildlife parks these days are very much into animal conservation. I was at the Melb Zoo in August last year and the amount of money, time and effort they are putting into awareness and conservation is quite considerable. They're not so much about putting on a show for people, these days it's more about raising awareness. (Can't say much for Canberra zoo though.., that's weird)
    Is it a blanket "no" on anything that involves having an animal out of its natural habitat? (I'm trying to ask respectfully because I am aware of your beliefs re animals etc.. I'm word clumsy today!)

Thanks
    Reviews

I think what annoys me the most about zoos is yes they might play a "small" part in conservation, but it should be of animals in its own country, not lions and tigers and elephants etc that don't belong here - that money should be spent on assisting their native countries with conservation ( like they do in South Africa and China)
    Years ago Taronga ( which is the government) paid millions and millions of dollars to import baby thai elephants ( who were from a conservation program, perfectly happy and safe in their own country ) here for their exhibits but refused to take the retired Australian circus elephants , why because old elephants aren't cute , that's not conservation that's consumerism , I would be mortified to see kangaroos in a foreign zoo

I haven't been but I think Steve irwins zoo is a bit better as at least it takes rescued and unwanted animals ( like ex circus animals)?
    Last edited by Elijahs Mum; 16-01-2017 at 11:34.

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Elijahs Mum For This Useful Post:

Frankenmum  (16-01-2017),Mod-Nomsie  (16-01-2017),Tinkers  (16-01-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I am a massive supporter of animals, I'm vegetarian etc. I personally think (well maintained) zoos are an important service for animals and I support them. They promote conservation, they have breeding programs, they raise funds to maintain natural habitats in the wild, they educate people, and create empathy by showing people those animals. The animals in zoos have access to a good diet and veterinary care and nowadays they try to give them a habitat close in type to the wild. They run rescue programs for injured wildlife and many have a wildlife hospital attached. I don't think circuses always can offer the same thing so I generally wouldn't support animals especially large animals taking part in a circus.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to bezzy For This Useful Post:

Frankenmum  (16-01-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Elijahs Mum View Post
    I think what annoys me the most about zoos is yes they might play a "small" part in conservation, but it should be of animals in its own country, not lions and tigers and elephants etc that don't belong here - that money should be spent on assisting their native countries with conservation ( like they do in South Africa and China)
    Years ago Taronga ( which is the government) paid millions and millions of dollars to import baby thai elephants ( who were from a conservation program, perfectly happy and safe in their own country ) here for their exhibits but refused to take the retired Australian circus elephants , why because old elephants aren't cute , that's not conservation that's consumerism , I would be mortified to see kangaroos in a foreign zoo

I haven't been but I think Steve irwins zoo is a bit better as at least it takes rescued and unwanted animals ( like ex circus animals)?
    Those 3 elephants at Australia zoo were the only elephants at the zoo, perhaps it was too hard/dangerous to integrate 3 mature elephants into an existing herd? I'm not sure just a guess.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Mod-Nomsie View Post
    I'm just interested- zoos and wildlife parks these days are very much into animal conservation. I was at the Melb Zoo in August last year and the amount of money, time and effort they are putting into awareness and conservation is quite considerable. They're not so much about putting on a show for people, these days it's more about raising awareness. (Can't say much for Canberra zoo though.., that's weird)
    Is it a blanket "no" on anything that involves having an animal out of its natural habitat? (I'm trying to ask respectfully because I am aware of your beliefs re animals etc.. I'm word clumsy today!)
    I think it's more animals from other countries that annoys me, the time and money put into the elephants and big cats here could have been donated to their own countries to help them in their own habitats, those animals need to be roaming, they need to walk hundreds of kilometres a day, not stuck in a few hundred metres of enclosures being looked at , it just makes me sad or worse the poor polar bears at SeaWorld, in QLD, that's just cruel

15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Elijahs Mum For This Useful Post:

Frankenmum  (16-01-2017),Mod-Nomsie  (16-01-2017),Tinkers  (16-01-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Never been a fan of circuses for this reason. Even if the animals arent treated poorly (which i find hard to believe ) i could not think of a more unnatural environment for an animal to live in. Performing tricks, tied up behind caravans, constant travelling by road, beaten/hit whilst being trained......good riddance.
    As for zoos...not a huge fan. Alot of animals die that the public is not made aware of. The enclosures are nowhere near big enough.....a huge animal like an elephant should be able to roam for kilometres....not be enclosed in a small fenced area in the middle of suburbia. Its just wrong. An then there are situations eg Harambe the gorilla shot dead in his enclosure due to human error. Animals considered dangerous do not belong in zoos and that was a perfect example.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Tinkers For This Useful Post:

Frankenmum  (16-01-2017)