+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/4/15100 Posts in a week

Default Adults being diagnosed with childhood issues

I'm not sure I titled this properly but in wondering if anyone on here has or has known any adults to be diagnosed with things such as ADHD, sensory processing disorders, ASD etc?

I ask as I swear I have sensory issues when it comes to touch and sound and I'm wondering if any of the conventional therapies for children can be used on adults or is it too late? Also who diagnosed it? Is it possible to diagnose these things in adults?

I know they had things like child and youth health type appointments when I was a young child (in the 80s) but clearly there's a lot more information and knowledge at parents fingertips now than there was then, so I'd imagine a lot of things would have just been sensitivities parents would have assumed were personality traits and perhaps not something that can be changed with OT etc.

Thanks for any advice / stories.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    I have read stories about adults being diagnosed later in life (so it is possible) however I have no personal experience. Your GP should be able to help out. Might have to pay for a private psych etc though...

Good luck

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I know of a few adults who have been diagnosed with Aspergers - that's normally diagnosed in childhood and therapies put in place then. I don't know much about the process they went through, but I can ask at least one of them if you would like me to?

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have been asked by my mental health nurse to go for assessment for spd and Aspergers but declined (knowing now wouldn't help much). She said to just see a GP, get a psychologist referral and go from there.

Anything I do have, if I do, would have gone undiagnosed because my parents don't believe in "make believe illnesses".

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    I have read stories about adults being diagnosed later in life (so it is possible) however I have no personal experience. Your GP should be able to help out. Might have to pay for a private psych etc though...

Good luck
    A GP can give you 10 Medicare covered psychology appts with an approved psych. You don't pay a cent . You can go back after the 10 sessions and get another 10 as long as your psych has written a letter stating you need more

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I was diagnosed with Aspergers when I was 19, and DH was diagnosed with Aspergers when he was about 37. I can't for the life of me though remember the process we went through.

Thanks
    Reviews

I have an inkling that I'm maybe on the autism and/or ADHD spectrum. There is not much I can do about it now though, I learned to manage it a long time ago.

I still struggle with small talk though, I hate it with every fibre of my being.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

In regards to sound, have you heard of this https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Misophonia ? I swear I have it, certain sounds, especially certain repetitive sounds literally drive me mental, since I was a kid I've had a problem with certain sounds. I will leave a room until they are finished or put ear plugs in sometimes just to stop myself from feeling like I'm going crazy.

My sister was diagnosed high functioning autistic growing up but as a child they knew something was wrong so she was always in and out of therapies and special ed classes, they just didn't decide what until she was in her 20s which is sad because she missed out on so much intervention that would have changed her life.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by HollyGolightly81 View Post
    In regards to sound, have you heard of this https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Misophonia ? I swear I have it, certain sounds, especially certain repetitive sounds literally drive me mental, since I was a kid I've had a problem with certain sounds. I will leave a room until they are finished or put ear plugs in sometimes just to stop myself from feeling like I'm going crazy.
    This is me too! Mine started when I was a teenager and 20 years later I still don't know how to deal with it aside from ear plugs or getting away from the noise (the ones that send me into a spin are eating/sucking/slurping noises, throat clearing, heavy breathing, a mouse being bashed around on the desk, loud music)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/4/15100 Posts in a week
    Thanks everyone for the advice. Surely an OT would be more of a help in situations of sensitivities to the senses over a psychologist no? Correct me if I'm wrong.

I have heard of Misophonia, I did a google a couple of years ago as it just didn't feel right that I got so tense and upset and needing to stop the noise RIGHT NOW every time.

I'm also slurping or saliva noises when people eat (crunching doesn't bother me though), and yes heavy breathing too. DH doesn't snore but he's a heavy breather and I have to use white noise and headphones every single night to block it out, even though the noise itself isn't that loud.