+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 59 FirstFirst ... 345671555 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    And so it begins
    IMG_1484931700.470767.jpg

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Jan 20th Inauguration Day.

I'm watching live while expressing and feeding. "There is no room in American for hate or prejudice." Umm .... oh dear!

I think this will deteriorate into a shambles, and I'm bamboozled by the responses of people interviewed who vote for him (eg, "I think he'll do great this for us, like building that wall."), but only time will tell I guess. I feel like I'm watching a soap opera that's like a badly funded, poorly cast version of The West Wing.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Wickedly Happy For This Useful Post:

A-Squared  (21-01-2017),atomicmama  (21-01-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    It's finished and no huge headlines yet. This article is interesting. Not many people attended compared to obama's inaugurations.

http://www.vox.com/policy-and-politi...ation-vs-obama

5. The Following User Says Thank You to HollyGolightly81 For This Useful Post:

tory1970  (21-01-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I was awake from 3-5am and managed to watch the whole event.
    Will read and catch up later, need coffee.

IMG_7834.JPG

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Phony For This Useful Post:

HollyGolightly81  (21-01-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by HollyGolightly81 View Post
    People are protesting because Trump lost the popular vote by 3 million. Because the electoral college is archaic. Because it is being proven that Trump's campaign and people he has selected for his cabinet have been communicating with Russia. Because our intelligence agencies (more than one) have proven that Russia interfered with our election in terms of the hacks and fake news. Because the republican congress and trump want to defund planned parenthood, take away a woman's right to choose, get rid of gay marriage, repeal the Affordable Care Act (Obamacare), to privatize our public education system, and the list goes on. Because Trump is probably on track to be our most corrupt president in history and the public want Congress to investigate him, to be held accountable, they spent effing ages on Hillary's emails, why on earth are they not looking into him. I'm glad people are protesting. I wish I was there to participate, what has happened this election is disgraceful and unsettling.

As far as do I think something is going to happen? No, not really. I'm sure there will be some sort of trouble but nothing big or like what you are imagining and I think most of the protests will happen without any issues.

It's not treason to protest the inauguration, nor should it be. Many of these protests have permits, the city and the inauguration are prepared for them. The right to protest is in our constitution, people are allowed to try and be heard. Hopefully the republican government will actually listen.
    I understand every reason they're protesting (disagree on Wikileaks info, none of that was fake news) but once violence is brought into it you've lost your right to be heard.
    I have a lot of patience and will hear anyone's views but turning up to "protest" in masks, hoods, smashing up shops, pulling up litter bins to throw, threatening cops to the point where they need to use tear gas, that's not a protest at all.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

Default Jan 20th Inauguration Day.

Quote Originally Posted by Phony View Post
    I understand every reason they're protesting (disagree on Wikileaks info, none of that was fake news) but once violence is brought into it you've lost your right to be heard.
    I have a lot of patience and will hear anyone's views but turning up to "protest" in masks, hoods, smashing up shops, pulling up litter bins to throw, threatening cops to the point where they need to use tear gas, that's not a protest at all.
    I quoted you because you and Alicia implied people should just 'get over it' and accept he's our new president.

There was fake news Phony, lots of it, trying to ignore it doesn't make it go away. I never claimed Wikileaks was part of it?... Although I have my own thoughts on that.

Only a very small number of protestors have broken windows and pepper spray was used from what I've read so far. You're jumping the gun that there is anarchy when really there is not.

ETA: I just saw the article of the protest last night at the Deploraball.
    Last edited by HollyGolightly81; 21-01-2017 at 08:01.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    And Bush quickly becomes everyone's favorite person
    http://ti.me/2jIt2WX

11. The Following User Says Thank You to HollyGolightly81 For This Useful Post:

Californication  (21-01-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Can't wait!!!

http://huff.to/2j3q4Lp

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BigRedV For This Useful Post:

Frankenmum  (21-01-2017),Phony  (21-01-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I might be a bit late to the party, but have people seen this article about the creation of fake news? Such a profitable business!

https://mobile.nytimes.com/2017/01/1...on-harris.html

Some people so willing to believe things that fit with their preconceived worldview and prejudices... Such a worry.

Sure, big news sites have their problems, and they can be duped too, but this is an example of where relying on smaller news sites can be a problem.

15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to JustJaq For This Useful Post:

Californication  (21-01-2017),HollyGolightly81  (21-01-2017),TheGooch  (21-01-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by HollyGolightly81 View Post
    And Bush quickly becomes everyone's favorite person
    http://ti.me/2jIt2WX
    And we're officially in twilight land...

I really hate when protestors I support turn violent. It just undermines the cause so much. That being said, it's actually not as bad as I was expecting. I think I read about 90 people had been arrested of the thousands in attendance?

I understand what some people are saying about it being time to accept Trump as president and I do (says the Australian) but accepting a president doesn't mean agreeing that he should be in the position. If I ever want to be able to look my daughter in the eye, then I believe I have to be vocal about my disgust at Trump and all he stands for.

I do believe he will eventually do something to get himself impeached. And it will go through. The Republicans wont support him when push comes to shove. I kind of hope he doesn't get impeached. As despicable man as I think he is, he will be fairly ineffectual as a leader pushing change. I am much more scared of Pence becoming president than I am of Trump and his blustering.

17. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to zelda For This Useful Post:

HollyGolightly81  (21-01-2017),Mama Mirabelle  (21-01-2017),Phony  (21-01-2017)