+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default I dont 'get' the Thermomix thing??? And we are getting ours this week...

So Hubby decided we should get at a thermomix because I am a terrible cook and DD has a billion food allergies.
    But i don't really get it? I read on a forum it takes 10 min too cook porridge. HOw does that save time when it's 90 sec in the microwave? I work PT and have 3 kids and I am very much throw it togeahtr as fast as you can and eat - I use a lot of packet mix stuff and I love our pressure cooker and I am happy with that. From what i understand the Thermomix lets you cook from scratch but at the end of the day it will take longer to cook. I am more intersted in time then anything else.
    Can someone plesae sell me on this thing? I have looked on forums but the more I read the less sold I am on it. I can see it will be great for my DD with her allergies but for me it's all about time - time, time , time!! I have none! Will this save me time??? I have no let on to DH - but I think my lack of enthusiam is kind of obvious. It arrived 2 weeks ago and I have only just arranged the rep to come next week...LOL.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to CleverClogs For This Useful Post:

Little Miss Sunshine  (15-01-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    I'd rather sacrifice a bit of time than use packets regularly. If on the odd occasion I use packet stuff, I can really taste the difference and it's horrible. The other day my husband and I were both off work and went for a long drive and has lunch etc. I decided to do a chicken tonight for dinner as it was quick and easy as we got back late and it was disgusting. Nobody liked it and we ended up having beans on toast.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to BigRedV For This Useful Post:

SAgirl  (16-01-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think that if you arent enthusiastic to use it, or dont make an effort to use it, I think it risks being an expensive bench warmer.

Yes some things do take longer than packet. But if you were make it on thr stove it would be just as long.

The thing where TMX saves me time is that I dont have to sit there stirring or have to watch it. I set and forget and go donother things..

Some people use it to make their main meals while others use it to more to make sauces, marinades and sides and stuff. It's about finding the right balance.

Do you eat risotto? Thats one of my favourite quick TMX dishes.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Oh you lucky sucker!
    I have the cheaper machine, the Bellini from Target.
    I would love an upgrade because I use it multiple times a day.

I'm not a big baker, breads or cakes and so I wondered if I would use it much but what has been the best discovery for me was finding the Skinnymixers Facebook group.
    OMG!
    Start there!
    Have a read through the recipes on the blog and pick one to try.
    You won't be sorry.
    Nik, the lady who creates these amazing recipes, has put quite a few new ones up for summer. Cheese log, potato dip, avocado dip...
    I made an olive cream cheese dip yesterday which was basically the avo dip but with olives.
    Unreal!
    She does so much more than dips though.
    I have been using her oat bar recipe for the kids lunches for ages now, and I throw nuts and seeds into them for my lunch. Delicious!

The biggest bonus using her recipes is that my fussy kids (no sauce, mam!) are now eating butter chicken, teriyaki burgers, chicken kievs, korma, red Thai curry.
    If I say it's from Nik's blog, the lady who created the butter chicken, they will agree to eat it. Score!
    Last night's dinner was Peri Peri chicken with creamy sweet potato mash, sweet corn and salad.
    Tomight is Zataar chicken with bejewelled rice and veg.
    All a doodle to make.

There is always someone in the group online to help if you hit a wall and need some advice.

Another great discovery this summer was Thermobexta
    I bought her salad book this yr.
    Holy Moly!
    We've been scoffing her hummus topped with her walnut dukkah all through the holidays.

ETA! I got carried away with the food part that I forgot to say that yes, the best bit is you can walk away, do your clean and clear up or deal with the children while the dinner is cooking away.
    I wouldn't be without it now.
    Last edited by Phony; 15-01-2017 at 07:41.

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Phony For This Useful Post:

hopefull29  (15-01-2017),Lolly99  (20-01-2017),Yogis Mumma  (15-01-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Definitely the set and forget is what will save you time. You do a few minutes prep, set the speed and time and walk away. The beep is very loud - I can hear it upstairs so you'll know when it's finished.

It sure how old your kids are but I can do most meals in the TMX one handed with DS3 in my hip - a blessing. DS2 also loves the TMX he's 4 and loves putting things in and setting the time and speed.

It's also really great for making playdough

Thanks
    Reviews
    The 90 second porridge is full of additives and preservatives, the 10 minute porridge you can make is preservative and additive free - so so much better for you and you children.

I have a Thermomix and I love it. I used to be like you and use packet mixes for everything but I made a conscious effort to use the Thermomix and make things from scratch. It has made such a difference to us, we eat so much healthier now and I actually enjoy cooking in my Thermie. There is no way that I could go back to packet mixes.

One of my fave things to make is butter, pure cream, 5 minutes and you have pure butter with no nasties - it is so so delicious. So much better than anything you can buy.

In relation to the time, it saves you time as you're not stuck stirring a pot but it stirs itself - does that make sense?

My Thermomix really motivated me to look into what we are eating and cut a lot of nasty additives etc out of our food. I hope yours can do the same - just give it a chance

AdornedWithCats is offline Winner 2013 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Winner 2014 - Best Username

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 12/6/15Funniest Caption400 Posts in a week300 posts in a week
    I don't get thermomix either. But I also don't use much packet stuff. I can easily make a non-packet porridge or risotto in the microwave. Sorry I'm no help!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Great for soups. Just force yourself to use it at least once a day. If after a few months you still don't like it give it to me.

I have the Bellini but my sister has the thermomix and I love it. Hers makes the best custard.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Wise Enough For This Useful Post:

Phony  (16-01-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    @Wise Enough.

I was wondering about the little perks of the Thermy compared the the Bellini.
    getting kinda tired of weighing everything separately, too.
    Id love to upgrade

Thanks
    Reviews
    I don't have a TMX but I do have a Tefal Cuisine Companion, which is really similar in functionality (I just chose it over the TMX because it has a bigger bowl and I like to cook in bulk ).

In terms of complete meals, I use it all the time for blended soups, which take me probably 4-5 minutes of prep (if you don't peel your veggies first then it will be even less than this!), then the CC does the rest.

I also use it for risotto regularly (takes maybe 1-2 minutes of prep, then the CC does the rest), and curries from the skinnymixers site (omg! These are amazing!!!! They are more time consuming but seriously worth it!!).

Other things I use it for (though less regularly) include:

Bread (so easy!)

Cake batter, cookie dough etc

Whipped cream

Custard

Scone and pancake batter

Ice cream and sorbet

Scrambled eggs

Gravies and sauces (hollandaise, bearnaise etc)

Yorkshire pudding batter (these come out soooooooo fluffy!)

Mashed potatoes (soooooooooooooo creamy! Like, I can't even explain how creamy these are. No added butter or milk, either. Just straight potato. Delicious!)

I find it super convenient. In saying that, however, if we didn't use it for at least 2 main meals per week, I probably wouldn't see the value. It's just so handy to be able to throw an assortment of veggies and some stock in there when it's approaching lunchtime and have a super healthy, yummy, homemade meal ready 30 minutes later. No effort required