+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mod-Nomsie View Post
    None of my fam will eat my lasagne. I love lasagne but never get it rich like a restaurant; prob because I don't cook with red wine. It's a waste to buy a hole bottle and use 1/2 a cup or so for cooking. And I know I could freeze it, but no room in the freezer.
    I also suck at stir fry- veges are always raw. Um... what else? Pork crackle! I have had one staggering success and the rest just suck and I have tried everything... I'm beginning to wonder if I should fork out for a more expensive piece of pork from the butcher rather than the cuts from woolies...
    For those who want gravy but don't have pan juices, I over the Maggi traditional gravy. It's not a power, it's a thick liquid you add 2/3 a cup of boiling water to and stir. It's that simple, and it's so delicious. There are other "flavours" as well as traditional.
    Attachment 87934
    You can buy small bottles of wine. I am doing this as I currently don't drink.
    Attached Images

2. The Following User Says Thank You to twinklify For This Useful Post:

Mod-Nomsie  (16-01-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheGooch View Post
    If the fat is right, lots of inappropriate touching with salt and oil and the crackle will be right!

I make cheats lasagna now - because I watched it on master chef and wondered why I had been punishing myself making cheese sauce - which apparently isn't authentic anyway!
    Inappropriate touching . I don't do anything to my pork roasts anymore. Crackle was always a bit hit and miss in the oven, but since we got the Webber, I cook it in there and just put it in. No oil, no salt, no messing around and the crackle is ALWAYS perfect.

Bechamel isn't authentic???? But it's the best part! I do mine lasagne in the thermomix. I don't like thermo bolognaise over pasta, (it's a bit gritty or something) but in a lasagne with loads of bechamel, it's awesome.

TheGooch is offline Winner 2014 - Newbie of the Year
    Winner 2016 BubHubs DIVA Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Mod-Nomsie View Post
    So it's Woolies- not me? Praise the lord! I was seriously beginning to doubt my cooking skills. I wondered how hard crackle should be to make- I mean oil, salt and a good high heat and bobs your uncle! I've left the pork in the fridge uncovered to dry out, I've deepens the cuts in the skin, I've left the meat to come to room temp before roasting... I was losing my fricken mind!
    And be Jamel is not authentic in lasagne?! Whhhhaaaaaaat?!?!
    Quote Originally Posted by Californication View Post
    Inappropriate touching . I don't do anything to my pork roasts anymore. Crackle was always a bit hit and miss in the oven, but since we got the Webber, I cook it in there and just put it in. No oil, no salt, no messing around and the crackle is ALWAYS perfect.

Bechamel isn't authentic???? But it's the best part! I do mine lasagne in the thermomix. I don't like thermo bolognaise over pasta, (it's a bit gritty or something) but in a lasagne with loads of bechamel, it's awesome.
    Only according to Masterchef! I have no other sources to back up this claim! But since it's easier, I'm prepared to go with it!
    Mozzarella is so creamy and delicious so I was easy to win over!
    @Mod-Nomsie it's definitely Woolworths and not you. You're doing everything right!
    @Californication definitely inappropriate touching. DH saw me doing it on Xmas morning and asked when I was planning on touching HIM like that

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TheGooch For This Useful Post:

Californication  (16-01-2017),Mod-Nomsie  (16-01-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Re: pork crackle. Mine was always hit and miss before, but I've since discovered a foolproof way to get perfect crackling every time.

First, make deep scores in the rind (Woolies ones already have this done, and if you get the pork from the butcher you can ask them to do this bit for you).

Then pour boiling water over the rind and pat dry with paper towel.

Sprinkle generously with salt, making sure the salt enters the scored parts. Cover loosely with alfoil and put in the fridge for at least two hours.

When you take it out of the fridge, pour boiling water over it again and pat dry, then commence the inappropriate touching with oil and salt.

Heat your oven as high as it goes. Put the pork on a wire rack in a roasting pan, and then cook uncovered for approx 30 minutes. Reduce temperature to 180 degrees and cook at this temperature until the meat is cooked through.

Amazing crackle, every time!

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Shoopuf For This Useful Post:

Mod-Nomsie  (16-01-2017),smallpotatoes  (16-01-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Folllwing for later

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by TheGooch View Post
    @Californication definitely inappropriate touching. DH saw me doing it on Xmas morning and asked when I was planning on touching HIM like that
    He wants to be slapped around with oil and salt?? Kinky

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Californication For This Useful Post:

Mod-Nomsie  (16-01-2017),TheGooch  (16-01-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Trick for Gravox, is mix it into a paste with COLD water first, so it is a little runny, then when ready add boiling water to it, to make it to the right consistency.

Fried eggs - oil the pan and the rings, and get the pan hot before adding in eggs to fry. I also only cook til all the white is cooked. So when I serve it up, I flip it on it's lid, and then immediately serve, just to make sure top is cooked.

Poached eggs - oil pan and rings, then add cold water. Then put water to boil. Once boiled, add eggs, then turn them right down to slowly cook. When white cooked, then they should be nice and runny. Took us a few attempts to work out this works best for us.

Brownies - from memory cook on a lower oven heat, not 180. So check the oven heat when you cook them on the recipe

Also remember if your oven is fan forced, minus 20'C from the recipe. So if the oven is supposed to be 180. Then put the oven on 160 with fan.

Pork can sometimes be hit and miss, But if a miss, I usually just take the rind off whole, and chuck it under the grill to crisp up LOL. But I have found, like someone else said, when you put the pork in the oven, have it on a really high oven for about 1 hour to crisp up the crackle, then turn down for the remainder cooking time to cook the meat.

Muffins, you have to be careful not to overmix, because there is generally no fat content in muffins (true mix), they will be very dry (fat content wise). So just mix til all the ingredients come together, no more than that. I mostly fail at them too haha. So just make cupcakes instead

Potato bake - generally have to cook without covering for about the last half hour to make sure the liquid cooks off. However if time is not of the essence, I have put mine in the microwave to cook the liquid off before, as the oven takes a little while

I hope those pointers help some