+ Reply to Thread
Page 45 of 55 FirstFirst ... 354344454647 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger
    Quote Originally Posted by Lanabananah View Post
    And that sometimes when people are defending a person or groups rights to inclusion, they can go to far.
    I fundamentally disagree with this statement. The right to inclusion (I.e. not to be discriminated against/ excluded) is a basic human right. In my opinion there is no such thing as going to far in order to defend human rights.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Mama Mirabelle For This Useful Post:

TheGooch  (19-01-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Neither I nor phony have been disagreeing that someone has done what you have just outlined.

Nor have we said the girls are "extremist".

It's very disappointing what has happened and the hate that has been spouted.
    Doesn't Phony believe they used the picture of the girls in the ad to create a stir and conflict and that it is reverse racism that they chose that photo? That's what I feel I've pieced together from her comments.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to HollyGolightly81 For This Useful Post:

atomicmama  (20-01-2017),Mama Mirabelle  (20-01-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

Default Being Australian.

Annnnnnddddd...I'm caught up!

As I said before, Phony, I get the point you are trying to make, that other people (white/white men) are starting to feel alienated or trod upon as minorities (including women and LGBT) gain more rights, respect and opportunity. But the thing is, just because they feel that way doesn't mean they are justified and does not mean we should pander to them. Yes, they were loud enough to get Trump elected but that does not mean we now rollover to them and go 'oh sh1t, we've ****ed them off, we've learned our lesson' and let them try to push things back to when they felt more powerful. Because that is what they are trying to do. They are trying to take away hard fought for civil rights (the right to choose, gay marriage, freedom of speech and press, the right to peacefully assemble and the right any minority has to feel safe and that they deserve the same opportunities). People ARE being racist and bigoted. Taking offense to a photo of two little girls of a separate religion IS being bigoted. That's not name calling, that's stating a fact. How should we be responding to them? Should I really worry more about the person with the bigoted belief than the people their beliefs are impacting? Some people (I think safe to assume white Australians) kicked up a big enough fuss to have this photo taken down. Why should we worry about their feelings more than the feelings of the community they've pretty much shat on by deciding they were offended by a picture of their religion? That's not reverse discrimination. Whites are not being discriminated against just because two Muslim girls were included in an ad.

6. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to HollyGolightly81 For This Useful Post:

A-Squared  (20-01-2017),atomicmama  (20-01-2017),Freyamum  (20-01-2017),gingermillie  (20-01-2017),JustJaq  (20-01-2017),Mama Mirabelle  (20-01-2017),PomPoms  (20-01-2017),smallpotatoes  (20-01-2017),Stiflers Mom  (20-01-2017),TheGooch  (20-01-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

Default Being Australian.

I know this is about Australia, but I thought these pictures were fitting to part of the conversation. The artist that created Obama's 'HOPE' poster during his 2008 campaign created these posters to protest Trump's inauguration, they will be distributed for free in Washington and can be downloaded for free. Pretty awesome, and spot on that Americans are all walks of life.

IMG_1484853108.201436.jpgIMG_1484853118.965014.jpgIMG_1484853129.069937.jpg
    IMG_1484853370.058201.jpg

http://thebea.st/2jnHkcX
    Last edited by HollyGolightly81; 20-01-2017 at 06:16.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to HollyGolightly81 For This Useful Post:

atomicmama  (20-01-2017),Mama Mirabelle  (20-01-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by HollyGolightly81 View Post
    Doesn't Phony believe they used the picture of the girls in the ad to create a stir and conflict and that it is reverse racism that they chose that photo? That's what I feel I've pieced together from her comments.
    I agree with the first part, not quite with the second part of your assessesment.

I don't think the reverse racism formed part of her original argument, I feel that part happened once people started attacking her for something where they were missing the point of her original arguement, and it developed into a slightly different topic which then became linked.

I'm not saying she doesn't think that it's reverse racism, and I'm not saying I agree it's reverse racism, I'm saying that wasn't the point she was originally trying to make so I'm trying to seperate those 2 discussions.

But I'm not going to debate semantics, I've said my piece about what I feel on that and it seems like every particular point is people makes is going to keep getting twisted or turned into a discussion away from someone's or my original intention.

I agree with you on a lot of this topic, just not how each thing has to be linked as I believe that some points can be separated from others without having it hen turn into a "if you don't agree with this second point, then your first point is wrong".

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Lanabananah For This Useful Post:

Phony  (20-01-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by HollyGolightly81 View Post
    There was also comments of the ad being insulting to some Australians as it is depicting a Muslim country (but that was before it was noted that it was a series of images).

The reverse racism was started before that a little when the discussion was regarding Australia Day/Invasion Day and the First Fleet.

Which is why I posted an article re: reverse racism that I found interesting.

This is totally random too but seeming as there has been a Shannon Noll story recently does anyone have 'what about me' playing through they head whenever they read comments on FB etc about the billboard story?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Mama Mirabelle View Post
    I fundamentally disagree with this statement. The right to inclusion (I.e. not to be discriminated against/ excluded) is a basic human right. In my opinion there is no such thing as going to far in order to defend human rights.
    This terrifies my slightly becuase....

1. Surely there have to be a "too far" when fighting racism or defending another human right. (Keep in mind I am not talking about extremism)

Is rape okay? Assault? Murder? I find the vigilanteism rarely works.

And before anyone one goes off at me, yes I know that people who are "racist" may do all those things because they believe that someone else is less than them.

But I don't believe that makes generally it okay to do those things in retaliation.

I'm also. If saying that's what is happening in the forum, my point is extreme but I was making general statements about defending human rights in general , but you made a very broad statement.

2. I also believe for the most part, defending humans rights should be done with a view of making change. I don't think attacking people on an online forum when you don't quite understand the individual point they are trying to make is a solution.

On here I have seen plenty of comments where people acknowledge a statement and why someone may think that and then go on to explain why they believe it's not right or their view.That's the right way to do it. You can understand a statement or why it's said without agreeing with it.

I have also seen people taking one part of an argument, twisting it into another slightly different topic and then running with that and not trying to understand why a statement is made InThe first place. They put so much emphasis on where they want to take the discussion or where they think it's going) they get tunnel vision and the discussion rarely ends well or resolves anything. It just ends up with two frustrated parties because they both feel like the other side is being ignorant.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Lanabananah For This Useful Post:

Sweetbabydreams  (20-01-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by twinklify View Post
    There was also comments of the ad being insulting to some Australians as it is depicting a Muslim country (but that was before it was noted that it was a series of images).

The reverse racism was started before that a little when the discussion was regarding Australia Day/Invasion Day and the First Fleet.

Which is why I posted an article re: reverse racism that I found interesting.

This is totally random too but seeming as there has been a Shannon Noll story recently does anyone have 'what about me' playing through they head whenever they read comments on FB etc about the billboard story?
    Ok, maybe I misunderstood some of the earlier discussions.

And side note, i hear it too!

harvs is offline Winner 2014 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Winner 2016 - Member you'd most like to meet
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 2/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 19/3/15Busiest Member of the Week200 Posts in a week
    I agree with the first part, not quite with the second part of your assessesment.

I'm not saying she doesn't think that it's reverse racism, and I'm not saying I agree it's reverse racism, I'm saying that wasn't the point she was originally trying to make so I'm trying to seperate those 2 discussions.
    I get what you're saying, and I did directly ask the OP to clarify what she meant. But given that she also posed the question 'why use a minority' you can see how people have come to that conclusion, surely?

For what it's worth, in response to a couple of your other posts, I think the majority of us, OP included, have been highly respectful of each other. These are issues that many of us feel extremely strongly about and we have all spoken passionately, yes, but have been around the hub for long enough to engage in a discussion like this with trust.

The thread has meandered because that is the nature of these threads on BH as we all are up to different points of the thread/respond to different aspects and also, because OP has been extremely diligent in responding to individual posts. She is also more than capable of holding her own and speaking up if she feels attacked :-)

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to harvs For This Useful Post:

Mama Mirabelle  (20-01-2017),TheGooch  (20-01-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by harvs View Post
    I get what you're saying, and I did directly ask the OP to clarify what she meant. But given that she also posed the question 'why use a minority' you can see how people have come to that conclusion, surely?

For what it's worth, in response to a couple of your other posts, I think the majority of us, OP included, have been highly respectful of each other. These are issues that many of us feel extremely strongly about and we have all spoken passionately, yes, but have been around the hub for long enough to engage in a discussion like this with trust.

The thread has meandered because that is the nature of these threads on BH as we all are up to different points of the thread/respond to different aspects and also, because OP has been extremely diligent in responding to individual posts. She is also more than capable of holding her own and speaking up if she feels attacked :-)
    Yes I can definitely see why some people may make some assumptions, when you look at the discussion as a whole.

And yes I believe most of the people have been respectful, and I have enjoyed seeing both sides of the discussion, especially the part about the indigenous because I'm a kiwi so I don't know a lot about the history.

I guess a lot of my points have been more of general points about what I feel to be the best way to defend or deal with human rights, and have put an impression I believe this discussion has gone completely sideways which i agree would be an overstatement.

I've said my part about how I viewed this particular topic developing into other topics, so I think I will leave it to the people who have more understanding of the actual issues as they relate to Australia specifically