ADVERTISEMENT

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 55 FirstFirst ... 234561454 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by atomicmama View Post
    Wow.
    Great by whose standard? Certainly not those that were victims of genocide inflicted by the First Fleet. I'm sure if you asked, there would be an overwhelming majority that would rather those ships never arrived. Just because they had a different way of life before we Westernized them, it doesn't mean it wasn't great then, or wouldn't be now.

I do believe our country is great! Yes! Passionately!

As for whether our country would be the same as it is now had we not been settled, well ... who would know? At the end of the day, I simply choose to focus on something different to what the majority on this thread seem to focus on. I celebrate the day we were settled. I celebrate the beginnings of our country as we know it. I'm not celebrating genocide and all the other things that occurred concurrently with that!

All I know for sure is that Australia is a great country now. Australia is well known for giving people a fair go. The 'land of opportunity.' I honestly wouldn't want to live anywhere else.

I don't believe I'm alone in my views. I may not be in the majority (well, at least not here on Bub Hub) but not everyone is confident enough being honest about a topic such as this on a public forum. Especially when frankly it is all too easy to be shot down in flames for having an alternative opinion.

Anyway .... I've no intention of getting into a debate with anyone or belittling anyone else's views, so I'll take my leave from this conversation. As I've said before, I accept that everyone has differing opinions on this subject and I respect their right to that. Please respect mine.
    Last edited by Blossom74; 15-01-2017 at 15:01.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Blossom74 For This Useful Post:

MysticFalls  (16-01-2017),Phony  (15-01-2017),SuperGranny  (18-01-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Your comments were incredibly insensitive and completely dismissive of the full version of history and the adversities Aboriginal people still face today.

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to atomicmama For This Useful Post:

babyno1onboard  (15-01-2017),Mama Mirabelle  (16-01-2017),smallpotatoes  (15-01-2017),TheGooch  (15-01-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Blossom74 View Post
    My apologies to the original poster of this thread for derailing it....
    No need to apologise, I'm enjoying the discussion. It's good to hear all sides

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by zelda View Post
    The problem with Jan 26th is that recognises ONLY when a white man stood on the soil. It ignores all the history that came after, both good and bad. I'd rather see a date like May 27th be our Australia day - the date when our country finally grew up and made sure everyone should be equal, not just Whitey McWhitefellow.
    Agree with the sentiment but dislike the whitey part.

It's not OK to be racist against anyone and there has been an awful turn against white people lately, we (general) need to watch our language I think or we're fueling the divide even more.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Wow.
    Great by whose standard? Certainly not those that were victims of genocide inflicted by the First Fleet.
    Forget the (very sucky) past for a minute, you think Australia is great now?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I feel very fortunate to live in Australia. Half of my family are immigrants, who came here in the hope of a happy, safe and fulfilling life. I know they are incredibly thankful for that and have done very well for themselves.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tinkers For This Useful Post:

MysticFalls  (16-01-2017),Phony  (15-01-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    Forget the (very sucky) past for a minute, you think Australia is great now?
    For me, sure. But it's not that way for everyone (as I already said).

Also, forgetting the past "for a minute" would defeat the purpose of my comment. We, as a country, can't even accept that the date of celebration is an absolute kick in the face to those that lost their way of life on that day.

11. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to atomicmama For This Useful Post:

babyno1onboard  (15-01-2017),LaDiDah  (23-01-2017),smallpotatoes  (15-01-2017),TheGooch  (15-01-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week

Default Being Australian.

For me, sure. But it's not that way for everyone (as I already said).

Also, forgetting the past "for a minute" would defeat the purpose of my comment. We, as a country, can't even accept that the date of celebration is an absolute kick in the face to those that lost their way of life on that day.
    I'm not sure about that. I think a large chunk of Australians know it's a **** of a date symbolizing a ****ty past. They just happen to think Australia in it's present form is pretty great and It's pot luck whether we have a particular leader with the balls to spearhead a conversation/change.
    Last edited by VicPark; 15-01-2017 at 19:46.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    Both sides of my family have been in Australia since early/mid 1800's. My maternal grandmother's side were convicts. We come from England/Ireland & Wales. We are what could be considered the quintessential 'Aussie'. I'm proud of being Australian generally. We have a ways to go on a number of issues, marriage equality is a big one but I think overall it's a great country.

But I'm not a fan of celebrating Aust Day. While neither DH or I have any indigenous blood, I just can't celebrate a day they were invaded. It's a day that proves how egocentric the West was and still is. The whole notion of Terra Nullius shows that.

And then there is the fact it has become an excuse for all the bogans and trailer trash to be racist under the guise of patriotism, hooning around and getting wasted.

14. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to delirium For This Useful Post:

babyno1onboard  (15-01-2017),Frankenmum  (15-01-2017),LaDiDah  (23-01-2017),Phony  (15-01-2017),smallpotatoes  (15-01-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I am not sure how I feel. I have never felt Australian.

I am 1st gen Australian as all my family came from Poland. I grew up feeling more 'Polish'.

Right now I don't like the portrayal of a 'typical' Australian as I feel I do not relate to it.

I am saddened and disgusted most days by what people say and believe when it comes to things like refugees, marriage equality, Indigenous Australians and the minority groups.

I know there is generally lots of fabulous lovely people but for now it is being drowned out byloop hate and intolerance.

As for Aus Day - I have never really 'celebrated'. I really cannot understand how we can ignore or 'forget' or minimize what happened when the First Fleet landed.

We have a whole group of people mourning that day and it feels like we are just continuing to disrespect them.

16. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to twinklify For This Useful Post:

atomicmama  (15-01-2017),babyno1onboard  (16-01-2017),Californication  (15-01-2017),Phony  (15-01-2017)