+ Reply to Thread
Page 37 of 55 FirstFirst ... 27353637383947 ... LastLast
    TheGooch is offline Winner 2014 - Newbie of the Year
    Winner 2016 BubHubs DIVA Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by twinklify View Post

It's called being inclusive. Those people ARE Australian.
    Unlike the Op who hasn't had time...

Quote Originally Posted by Phony View Post
    I'm considering going for my citizenship this year (if I ever get the time to do it).
    I honestly can't work out what your argument is. You asked what being Australian means and it's been answered. Yet you seem to twist each person's words to show them up as not caring about Australia, the flag, the constitution, ANZAC Day, Australia Day. If you care so much, become a citizen and have all the privileges that gives you. Which is what MANY of the people you seem to want to exclude have done.

White people are not being discriminated against simply because others are included.
    IMG_1484786090.036141.jpg

I think @harvs is right - poking the bear

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to TheGooch For This Useful Post:

delirium (19-01-2017),gingermillie (19-01-2017),harvs (19-01-2017),HollyGolightly81 (19-01-2017),JustJaq (19-01-2017),Mama Mirabelle (19-01-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    If you care to you can read back and see I never said that.

You're still avoiding my question.
    You are being asked to share the privilege of this conversation not affecting how you are treated whatsoever.
    You are being asked to share the privilege of people not moving their kids away from you JIC you'll hurt them.
    You are being asked to share the privilege of not being terrified of if your children will be abused or mistreated due to their race or religion when they go out or go for a walk.
    You are being asked to share the privilege of not being scared to leave your house in case you are beaten and thrown off a train for your religion.
    You are being asked to share the privilege of not being followed by security due to the colour of your skin.
    You are being asked to share the privilege of not being judged based on the actions of other white people.

People will eventually stop asking nicely.

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Jennaisme For This Useful Post:

HollyGolightly81 (19-01-2017),Mama Mirabelle (19-01-2017),Moxy (19-01-2017),TheGooch (19-01-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'd still like you to clarify what "share" means.

We paid over 20K in visa fees to be here.
    I've given Australia 3 new citizens, my DH works his **** off to support us and we don't get any handouts.

What part of that should I share?
    What part of that was handed to me and what part do you feel is up for grabs??
    Been reading along and don't have time to get into the whole thread right now but I will touch on this, chances are that the fact you are white European means you got that visa in the first place. You would have had a much harder time trying to get one from many other countries. That's what I think she was trying to say when she was taking about privilege, not that you have to "share" what you've been given, but just recognise that what you've been given wouldn't have been to a lot of other people.

6. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Robyn400 For This Useful Post:

gingermillie (19-01-2017),harvs (19-01-2017),JustJaq (19-01-2017),Mama Mirabelle (19-01-2017),smallpotatoes (19-01-2017),twinklify (19-01-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Not directed at anyone just a general observation, how easy it is to talk about when it's not your OWN ancestors, culture and heritage that have been affected. I really can't imagine how it feels to have those things desecrated as the aboriginal people have.
    Which is why I won't celebrate Australia Day. Along with how commercial it's become, just another excuse for the shops to make money and people to go drinking.
    I never cared about it as a child or young person but now my own kids will know the whole truth of this country and others as well.
    I'm not proud to be Australian. Some days I'm not even proud to be a human being!
    I'm grateful for the comfortable life I can live here but I see that as just the luck of the draw for me to be born in a first world country.

Interesting debate btw

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Bluebirdgirl For This Useful Post:

JustJaq (19-01-2017),Mama Mirabelle (19-01-2017),Phony (19-01-2017),twinklify (19-01-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Jennaisme View Post
    You are being asked to share the privilege of this conversation not affecting how you are treated whatsoever.
    You are being asked to share the privilege of people not moving their kids away from you JIC you'll hurt them.
    You are being asked to share the privilege of not being terrified of if your children will be abused or mistreated due to their race or religion when they go out or go for a walk.
    You are being asked to share the privilege of not being scared to leave your house in case you are beaten and thrown off a train for your religion.
    You are being asked to share the privilege of not being followed by security due to the colour of your skin.
    You are being asked to share the privilege of not being judged based on the actions of other white people.

People will eventually stop asking nicely.
    "People will eventually stop asking nicely"

Seriously.
    You're threatening white Australians?

Let me tell you, I'm not out there doing any of those things so do I deserve the fury or my kids to be attacked?
    I take it the "stop asking nicely" is to be interpreted as violence, so any random white person will do?
    How do you justify fighting violence and racism....WITH VIOLENCE AND RACISM?

You gave out about double standards yet you seem to have plenty of your own, never mind the undercurrent of hate I'm picking up.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by TheGooch View Post
    Unlike the Op who hasn't had time...

I honestly can't work out what your argument is. You asked what being Australian means and it's been answered. Yet you seem to twist each person's words to show them up as not caring about Australia, the flag, the constitution, ANZAC Day, Australia Day. If you care so much, become a citizen and have all the privileges that gives you. Which is what MANY of the people you seem to want to exclude have done.

White people are not being discriminated against simply because others are included.
    Attachment 88095

I think @harvs is right - poking the bear

FACE PALMS!

Seriously?

I have never brought up discrimination against white people, you have MISTAKEN my defence of white people against RACIST comments which I honestly can't believe is being tolerated in here.
    You can't "work out" my argument because you don't wan to listen.

There's another conversation to be had but you're all ignoring it.
    And Pauline's One Nation is on the rise because you choose to rinse and repeat "bigot' 'racist' 'white privilege'
    You seem incapable of a conversation without name calling, oh unless it's to pat each other on the back..

It's pretty pathetic but on some level you must enjoy it because it's continuing to get you all no where.
    Like someone else said earlier, the same conversation every yr.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Phony For This Useful Post:

Sweetbabydreams (19-01-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    "People will eventually stop asking nicely"

Seriously.
    You're threatening white Australians?

Let me tell you, I'm not out there doing any of those things so do I deserve the fury or my kids to be attacked?
    I take it the "stop asking nicely" is to be interpreted as violence, so any random white person will do?
    How do you justify fighting violence and racism....WITH VIOLENCE AND RACISM?

You gave out about double standards yet you seem to have plenty of your own, never mind the undercurrent of hate I'm picking up.
    You are clutching at straws. There was no threat there.

But people backed in a corner with no escape run out of gentle nudging choices.
    @Phony - you actually have a choice of living here in you want. And noone batts an eyelid.

People do not have that choice because we have taken it away from them.

And if they do come here they spend their lives being treated as a 2nd class citizen.

So be thankful you have the opportunity as people do not due to their skin colour and religion.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to twinklify For This Useful Post:

Mama Mirabelle (19-01-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    That is because they are racists and bigots with white privilege.

It is fact. The the words are coming out of their mouths.

Thanks
    Reviews
    You are clutching at straws. There was no threat there.

But people backed in a corner with no escape run out of gentle nudging choices.
    @Phony - you actually have a choice of living here in you want. And noone batts an eyelid.

People do not have that choice because we have taken it away from them.

And if they do come here they spend their lives being treated as a 2nd class citizen.

So be thankful you have the opportunity as people do not due to their skin colour and religion.
    Well let us round up all white Australians and make them leave then.
    Is that a solution?
    Too far?
    Or maybe we will we just continue to consume ourselves from the inside out.
    Because that's all name calling achieves.

What's really happening to bring about change and peace between everyone?

I have the sneaking suspicion not a lot, and even less faith that that's actually what people want.

And there was a threat there.

Thanks
    Reviews
    That is because they are racists and bigots with white privilege.

It is fact. The the words are coming out of their mouths.
    Who exactly?