+ Reply to Thread
Page 32 of 55 FirstFirst ... 22303132333442 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts

Default Being Australian.

Here you go. In 1988 there were more than 40,000 people protesting on Australia Day.

http://collections.museumvictoria.com.au/articles/2835
    Last edited by BigRedV; 19-01-2017 at 08:55.

harvs is offline Winner 2014 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Winner 2016 - Member you'd most like to meet
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

Default Being Australian.

Quote Originally Posted by Phony View Post
    Wow!

So your flag means nothing to you.
    She didn't say that! You know she didn't say that.

I've been following this thread from the beginning and honestly my head is swimming. I can't keep up with the points you're trying to make.

I think this whole thing about the ad is ludicrous. Why would RACV want to be associated with intentionally antagonising a large group of people?

Why shouldn't two little girls in Muslim dress appear on an ad in Australia - because there are extremist Muslims, and attacks in *other* countries? That's honestly all I can make sense of from your comments.

Isn't normalising all cultures within Australia part of the 'nudge' you were talking about to encourage conversation and open minds?

Ever heard the song I Am Australian? 'I am, you are, we are Australian'. That song gets pulled out every year around Australia Day and I think that's what the advertisers were trying to tap into. Muslim people have been here since the 1800s. The first Muslim mosque in Australia was built in 1886. How are they not part of our country?

I am a pacifist and I deplore all violence, no matter what the motivation. Just because I no longer celebrate Australia Day doesn't mean I want to see it descend into chaos. It doesn't mean Australia isn't important to me. It doesn't mean the ANZAC sacrifice is meaningless.

Phony, most of the time I can see absolutely where you're coming from even in the times that I don't agree with you, and I respect the way you offer your opinions. It's so important to have these conversations. But I can't help but feel like you're poking the bear a bit in this one, to be honest.
    Last edited by harvs; 19-01-2017 at 09:07.

3. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to harvs For This Useful Post:

atomicmama (19-01-2017),Californication (19-01-2017),Curby (19-01-2017),gingermillie (19-01-2017),HollyGolightly81 (19-01-2017),JustJaq (19-01-2017),Mama Mirabelle (19-01-2017),TheGooch (19-01-2017),twinklify (19-01-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    And that's a valid point but you take it up with the abusers, be it government or whomever.
    You don't go take it out on the general public.
    Most people on the street aren't mistreating anyone, why should they have their flag burned?
    The general public also behave appallingly.

Quote Originally Posted by BigRedV View Post
    Which news did you watch? You put an article up about the anarchist greens telling people to burn flags. Were there people from the greens standing up and telling people to burn flags in the news you saw?

ETA - I wouldn't even know where to begin to type in groups for protest.

Genuine question- how long have you lived in Australia? Protests have been happening every Australia Day that I can remember. The only time I remember participating in anything for Australia day as a kid was in 1988 when they had the tall ships come in. There were huge protests then. It's nothing new.
    I think its because The Greens did not condemn it. Although I have no idea as I was not aware of this situation at all.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    As for protesting - everyone has a right to protest. BUT if your protest is racist or discriminatory than it is against the law.

The far right protests are racist and discriminatory. Which makes their behavior wrong. And in some instances can be against the law.

The far left also take it a bit far IMO when they turn to violence but protesting FOR people's rights do not break any laws (unless of course there is violence or discriminatory behaviour).

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to twinklify For This Useful Post:

HollyGolightly81 (19-01-2017),Mama Mirabelle (19-01-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Wow!

So your flag means nothing to you.
    Don't have time to address everything - but what i will say is that i support and defend constitutional rights, like freedom of political communication - which yes, does include flag burning. It's not for me personally, but, like that quote, I'll defend people's rights to say it. You'd like to see the Constitution changed, and rights reduced?

ETA thanks @harvs.
    Last edited by JustJaq; 19-01-2017 at 09:42.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JustJaq For This Useful Post:

HollyGolightly81 (19-01-2017),TheGooch (19-01-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    [/FONT][/COLOR]I'm even more convinced now those two little girls were used to bait the pubic.
    Now look, calls to burn the Aussie flag and put a stop to all celebrations?
    What?

The two have nothing to do with each other. The picture and article you posted relates to an Aboriginal group protesting Australia Day/Invasion Day. And while I don't necessarily agree with their methods of protest I fully support their right to protest.

I have no idea what that has to do with a rolling digital billboard that includes a picture of two Muslim children amongst other images?

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Mama Mirabelle For This Useful Post:

gingermillie (19-01-2017),JustJaq (19-01-2017),Renn (19-01-2017),TheGooch (19-01-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by twinklify View Post

I think its because The Greens did not condemn it. Although I have no idea as I was not aware of this situation at all.
    Yeh that's why I was asking. There's a big difference in not condemning flag burning and the headline in the newspaper stating the greens are calling for people to burn flags.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by harvs View Post
    She didn't say that! You know she didn't say that.

Phony, most of the time I can see absolutely where you're coming from even in the times that I don't agree with you, and I respect the way you offer your opinions. It's so important to have these conversations. But I can't help but feel like you're poking the bear a bit in this one, to be honest.
    She more or less did but I didn't realise the flag means nothing to a lot of you.

Not trying to poke the bear, there's enough conflict in this country, which is the point I've been making.
    Too much conflict.

Thanks
    Reviews
    The general public are people like me and you, families just going about their business. I don't think children need to see angry mobs on the streets.

Thanks
    Reviews
    As for protesting - everyone has a right to protest. BUT if your protest is racist or discriminatory than it is against the law.

The far right protests are racist and discriminatory. Which makes their behavior wrong. And in some instances can be against the law.

The far left also take it a bit far IMO when they turn to violence but protesting FOR people's rights do not break any laws (unless of course there is violence or discriminatory behaviour).
    I agree, but when they're calling for massive disruptions that should be shut down immediately because imo that gives the green light to violence.