+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 55 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I'm supportive of a date change. Why keep a date that causes pain for so many? I feel like we can all celebrate being Australian without it being linked to the arrival of the First Fleet.

Last year I traced my heritage back. I have some great grandparents born in Germany and England. On my grandfather's side I'm the 5th generation to be born in Australia.

What it means for me to be Australian? It means 'fair go' for everyone. That everyone should have the opportunity to succeed in Australia no matter where they've come from.

I used to celebrate more but Australia Day isnt a really big day at our house anymore. Usually it involves vegemite on toast, lamingtons for morning tea and lamb for dinner (yes I'm susceptible to marketing).

It's lost its shine for me.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to smallpotatoes For This Useful Post:

Californication  (15-01-2017),LaDiDah  (15-01-2017),Phony  (15-01-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Those who want to keep the date, why do you think it is important?

As for 'tradition', January 26 has only been consistently celebrated as a public holiday since 1994.

Is a 20 year history of nice bbqs and backyard cricket more important than acknowledging 220 year history of indigenous dispossession and genocide? I say have the nice bbqs and backyard cricket another day.

4. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to JustJaq For This Useful Post:

babyno1onboard  (15-01-2017),Best Things  (15-01-2017),Californication  (15-01-2017),coco babies  (16-01-2017),Elijahs Mum  (15-01-2017),LaDiDah  (15-01-2017),Mama Mirabelle  (16-01-2017),onionskin  (17-01-2017),Phony  (15-01-2017),smallpotatoes  (15-01-2017),Tiny Dancer  (15-01-2017),zelda  (15-01-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    What does it mean to you to be Australian? It's the country of my birth, it's where I grew up and I think we are different to a lot of the world. Our life is more relaxed. I think we are easy going and our slang sets us apart! I have friends in the US and UK, and it's a very different life we have here. I've travelled a bit, but I can't imagine living anywhere else. Australia, as much as I hate the snakes and spiders, is home and always will be. It's a beautiful country, full of natural wonders and I love exploring it. I feel it really is the lucky country.

How do you identify as Australian? I'm a 5th generation Aussie on my maternal grandfathers side, and 3rd-4th generation (not sure which!) on my Dads side of the family too, so I feel I'm as Aussie as they come. I used to be very proud of my country, but not so much anymore. I don't like the racism and eff off we're full mentality that a lot of people have. That's not Australian to me. We are a multi cultural society. People need to be more accepting of that. Especially as unless you have an aboriginal heritage, we are all immigrants! We are so lucky to live in this beautiful country. No one is blowing up our houses or taking guns and killing kids at school, people at church etc. our biggest problem is drought, which while awful in its on way, I'd prefer to have than war. I don't think there are that many "ocker" Aussies anymore, we have outgrown that image I think. But I still love my thongs, pies, pav, bbq's and our relaxed way of life.

With Australia Day approaching, does the day mean anything to you?
    Or has it lost it's shine? Shine well and truly lost. It seems to be a day for the yobbo. Lots of boozing and bad behaviour. And all the litter after events is disgusting.

Did you celebrate it once but now can't enjoy it in the same way? Yes.

Would you like it changed or renamed or keep it as it is? Changed. I don't agree with the date now that I am older and have more understanding of it and how it affects our indigenous population. Rather than celebrating the day our forefathers murdered them, we could change it to the 7th Feb when it was formally proclaimed. I'm not sure if the aboriginal people would be more comfortable with that date as the way they were treated didn't miraculously change on that date, but it's better than celebrating invasion day.

What do you consider Australian or Un-Australian? Australian - standing by your mates, being welcoming and open. Unaustralian - yobbos and their BS behaviour and attitudes about "boat people". It makes me sad that there are so many that share that attitude and have no compassion.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Californication For This Useful Post:

Mama Mirabelle  (16-01-2017),Phony  (15-01-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by JustJaq View Post
    Those who want to keep the date, why do you think it is important?

As for 'tradition', January 26 has only been consistently celebrated as a public holiday since 1994.

Is a 20 year history of nice bbqs and backyard cricket more important than acknowledging 220 year history of indigenous dispossession and genocide? I say have the nice bbqs and backyard cricket another day.
    I'm in the no date-change camp. It's not the public holiday that matters to me.

The fact is, January 26th was the day the 11 first fleet ships arrived here and the day the Union Jack was raised at Sydney Cove. It's not just to celebrate all that being Australian means and is - it's a historical marker.

It's important to me because it marks the beginnings of the great nation we are lucky enough to live in. When I think of Australia Day I don't think of genocide. I think 'how lucky are we that we are here and have such opportunities available to us.'

Each to their own.

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Blossom74 For This Useful Post:

Phony  (15-01-2017),smallpotatoes  (15-01-2017),SuperGranny  (18-01-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Blossom74 View Post

The fact is, January 26th was the day the 11 first fleet ships arrived here and the day the Union Jack was raised at Sydney Cove. It's not just to celebrate all that being Australian means and is - it's a historical marker.

It's important to me because it marks the beginnings of the great nation we are lucky enough to live in. When I think of Australia Day I don't think of genocide. I think 'how lucky are we that we are here and have such opportunities available to us.'

Each to their own.
    Oops didnt mean to thank.

I was going to ask what do you think of using a different day as a historical marker, instead of the First Fleet landing, keeping in mind that while it doesnt mean genocide to you, to many it does?

I know Federation is 1 Jan but to me Federation makes just as much sense (if not more) as the first fleet landing.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to smallpotatoes For This Useful Post:

TheGooch  (15-01-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by smallpotatoes View Post
    Oops didnt mean to thank.

I was going to ask what do you think of using a different day as a historical marker, instead of the First Fleet landing, keeping in mind that while it doesnt mean genocide to you, to many it does?

I know Federation is 1 Jan but to me Federation makes just as much sense (if not more) as the first fleet landing.
    I guess it's just that there are two ways people look at this. At school, I was taught about Australia Day - about how the English came and settled here. It's only in recent years that people began to look at Australia Day as an 'Invasion' Day.

I did make a post earlier regarding date changes, and to me, no, I don't believe the date should be changed. It is what it is. It's THE DAY that our country was settled. If not for that day, our country wouldn't be what it is now.

I understand that not everyone agrees, that my view may not be the consensus, but none-the-less, that is my opinion.

Bad things happen all over the world. My Father should never have been walked through the gas chambers as a child to 'warn' him of what the Nazi's could do - but the fact is, he was. That bad things also happened on/after January 26th doesn't (to me) take away from the fact that this is still the date our country started on the path to becoming what it is today.

* My apologies to the original poster of this thread for derailing it....
    Last edited by Blossom74; 15-01-2017 at 14:11.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Blossom74 For This Useful Post:

Phony  (15-01-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    The problem with Jan 26th is that recognises ONLY when a white man stood on the soil. It ignores all the history that came after, both good and bad. I'd rather see a date like May 27th be our Australia day - the date when our country finally grew up and made sure everyone should be equal, not just Whitey McWhitefellow.

14. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to zelda For This Useful Post:

Cherry18Bloss  (25-01-2017),Phony  (15-01-2017),Power child  (16-01-2017),smallpotatoes  (15-01-2017),TheGooch  (15-01-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I'm in the "date change" camp.

I understand that not everyone sees it as celebrating a genocide. But IMO we should change the date by respect for the large portion of the population that does.

At work we have been taught that if someone in our team find a joke offensive then the joke is offensive even if most people in the team don't find it so.
    If you keep making it then it's becoming bullying.

Jan 26 is that to me. Bullying of a small portion of the Australian population.

16. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to ExcuseMyFrench For This Useful Post:

atomicmama  (15-01-2017),Green Cheese  (16-01-2017),HollyGolightly81  (18-01-2017),JustJaq  (15-01-2017),Mama Mirabelle  (16-01-2017),Phony  (15-01-2017),TheGooch  (15-01-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Wow.
    Great by whose standard? Certainly not those that were victims of genocide inflicted by the First Fleet. I'm sure if you asked, there would be an overwhelming majority that would rather those ships never arrived. Just because they had a different way of life before we Westernized them, it doesn't mean it wasn't great then, or wouldn't be now.

ETA that's in reply to Blossom74
    Last edited by atomicmama; 15-01-2017 at 14:44.

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to atomicmama For This Useful Post:

JustJaq  (15-01-2017),smallpotatoes  (15-01-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Blossom74 View Post

Each to their own.
    Sure, if it feels important to you, note the arrival of the First Fleet. But why should it be 'Australia' Day though? Australia is not just about the arrival of the (so called) First Fleet. The First Fleet weren't even the first European arrivals. Captain Cook didn't 'discover' Australia - it was here the whole time.

And Australia was hardly created the day the First Fleet arrived. If we're looking for something more about the historic creation of 'Australia' as a nation, something like Federation would be more fitting to commemorate. And even then - the first Act of the new Australian Parliament was the passing of racist legislation - the Immigration Restriction Act 1901, commonly referred to as the White Australia Policy. I've seen a suggestion that it might be better, given the multicultural nature of Australia, to celebrate the day the White Australia policy was abolished - something to think about.

Is is really the start of Aboriginal dispossession and the settlement wars what you want to celebrate? Just because the day doesn't mean genocide to you, doesn't mean it didn't happen. All the lamb and thongs in the world won't erase that. Why not pick another date that's more acceptable to everyone?

The things we celebrate came long after the First Fleet arrived, and in spite of the national shame we accumulated in the prosecution of those brutal race wars.

"If we want to see Australia as a colonial outpost for the British then maybe that day makes sense, but if we want to regard Australia as a ‘vibrant multicultural nation’, and if we want to regard Indigenous peoples as a core part of the modern Australian identity then it makes absolutely no sense whatsoever to have Australia Day on that date. "
    http://indigenousx.com.au/why-we-nee.../#.WHrsIlyH6wI

And it's not "only in recent years that people began to look at Australia Day as an 'Invasion' Day". A Day of Mourning was commemorated by Aboriginal Australians as far back as 26 January 1938. There have been Aboriginal protests against Australia Day for as long as I can remember. I was just a kid, but I remember the big Aboriginal protests against the bicentennial celebrations. What we learned at school about European settlement and Aboriginal dispossession was woefully inadequate.

As to 'bad things happen everywhere' - sure, they do. But not everyone parties about them.

20. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to JustJaq For This Useful Post:

atomicmama  (15-01-2017),babyno1onboard  (15-01-2017),Bluebirdgirl  (15-01-2017),coco babies  (16-01-2017),Elijahs Mum  (15-01-2017),HillDweller  (15-01-2017),Mama Mirabelle  (16-01-2017),smallpotatoes  (15-01-2017),Tainted  (15-01-2017),TheGooch  (15-01-2017)