+ Reply to Thread
Page 29 of 55 FirstFirst ... 19272829303139 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Being Australian.

Quote Originally Posted by HollyGolightly81 View Post
    But the thing is, just because they feel that way doesn't mean it is true and doesn't mean it is right and that we should all just sit back and walk on egg shells, stop progressing forward in our views because they wrongly believe they have less opportunity now.

I don't want to go backwards in immigration and acceptance. I don't want to go backwards with indigenous rights (in America and Australia), I don't want to go backwards with women's rights or civil rights, and that is what is slowly starting to happen with these nationalist groups taking over. The hypocrisy of these people saying they are tired of 'not being allowed an opinion' while stifling other's opinions/views/rights is laughable.
    You are right in saying we shouldnt sit back and accept It, but it's very dangerous to simply tell someone that they aren't entitled to feel a particular way because the more you tell them that, sometimes the more vindicated they feel about it. That's one of the things I have taken away from the trump situation...... that the method some people try to fight the hatred can make it worse unintentionally.

You can't fight anger with anger, and all we can do is find a new method if the last one wasn't working.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Lanabananah For This Useful Post:

Phony (18-01-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Phony View Post
    I totally agree @HollyGolightly81 and I'm not defending white men as such, (though I will defend men in general because I'm raising two and I don't like what people will accuse them of just because they're male but that's another thread) I'm just trying to echo what I can see happening, which is the pendulum swinging in the opposite direction against whites.

I think, more so than just racism, we have a human problem at the minute.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lanabananah View Post
    You are right in saying we shouldnt sit back and accept It, but it's very dangerous to simply tell someone that they aren't entitled to feel a particular way because the more you tell them that, sometimes the more vindicated they feel about it. That's one of the things I have taken away from the trump situation...... that the method some people try to fight the hatred can make it worse unintentionally.

You can't fight anger with anger, and all we can do is find a new method if the last one wasn't working.
    But the pendulum isn't swinging against whites. Just because we are more accepting of others now and ensuring certain civil rights doesn't mean whites have less. Whites are still the least discriminated against and still offered the most opportunity.

Nobody is saying they can't have an opinion, but they are angry now that others have an opinion. That they can no longer say what they want without somebody else telling them what they think of it. Bottom line, they're being babies. You don't fight anger with anger or hate with hate but you also don't just let certain people say what they want and allow them to behave like d1ckgeads just because they feel they should be privileged enough to do so, that they trump everyone else.

I am raising two white boys as well and hope to ensure they don't feel entitled to behave a certain way just because they were born white and male.

4. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to HollyGolightly81 For This Useful Post:

atomicmama (18-01-2017),babyno1onboard (18-01-2017),Gentoo (18-01-2017),JustJaq (18-01-2017),Lanabananah (18-01-2017),Mama Mirabelle (18-01-2017),Moxy (19-01-2017),Renn (18-01-2017),smallpotatoes (18-01-2017),TheGooch (18-01-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

But white people are being judged.

Didn't you hear of the disabled white boy held hostage and tortured for days by four black teens?
    They live-******ed it to FB.

Not a mention of it on Bubhub but I bet if it was a disabled black boy held by four white "thugs" the thread would be still going.
    So don't tell me nobody says a word when whites do bad things, yet no one seemed interested in this enough to bring it up, the most vile of things to do to a disabled person.

Whites are even turning on their own, giving permission to others to have a go.
    It won't end well.
    Do you know about the times white teenagers have done similar? A couple years ago a group of white teenagers beat a black man and dragged him behind their car, killing him, and nobody on bubhub spoke about it. It probably didn't even make the news in Australia. I could find several similar examples. The fact that the story of the black teens beating the boy made world wide news shows that the media treats crimes perpetrated by black people completely differently.

6. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to HollyGolightly81 For This Useful Post:

atomicmama (18-01-2017),Gentoo (18-01-2017),gingermillie (18-01-2017),Mama Mirabelle (18-01-2017),TheGooch (18-01-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews

That makes me happy and I've signed the campaign
    https://www.theguardian.com/australi...e_iOSApp_Other

As an aside - letting ignorance fuel fear of Muslim population is exactly what ISIS and the like want to happen.
    So if you truly want to fight the extremists and terrorists, embrace your neighbour be it atheist, Jew, Christian, Muslim or other. I truly believe that love will conquer them and there's nothing they can do against a united nation.

Care for all your mates!
    Last edited by ExcuseMyFrench; 18-01-2017 at 20:42.

8. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to ExcuseMyFrench For This Useful Post:

babyno1onboard (18-01-2017),Frankenmum (18-01-2017),Gentoo (19-01-2017),HollyGolightly81 (18-01-2017),Lanabananah (18-01-2017),Mama Mirabelle (18-01-2017),Phony (18-01-2017),TheGooch (18-01-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I saw a post on FB about this picture.

The 'supportive' posts consisted of 'where is the diversity?'.

Yet every time Caucasian men, women and children are in advertising noone else asks where the diversity is.

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to twinklify For This Useful Post:

Bluebirdgirl (18-01-2017),gingermillie (18-01-2017),Mama Mirabelle (18-01-2017),TheGooch (18-01-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by HollyGolightly81 View Post
    Do you know about the times white teenagers have done similar? A couple years ago a group of white teenagers beat a black man and dragged him behind their car, killing him, and nobody on bubhub spoke about it. It probably didn't even make the news in Australia. I could find several similar examples. The fact that the story of the black teens beating the boy made world wide news shows that the media treats crimes perpetrated by black people completely differently.
    No I never heard of that.
    This recent story was broadcasted worldwide because they livestre@med it themselves and of course Trump's name was involved.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by twinklify View Post

Yet every time Caucasian men, women and children are in advertising noone else asks where the diversity is.
    Ah that's a bit unfair, I've read loads of supportive messages.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Ah that's a bit unfair, I've read loads of supportive messages.
    Ummm.. its true on the post I saw.

Thanks
    Reviews
    No I never heard of that.
    This recent story was broadcasted worldwide because they livestre@med it themselves and of course Trump's name was involved.
    I know, I've seen the news stories.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by twinklify View Post

This. Just jumping in randomly here, but this annoys me. I saw the sign in question, not really phased by it either way. I think it was fine and nothing to start drama over.
    But here in my regional town we have big billboards advertising housing developments/estates to buy in. Every one I've seen is white mum and dad and a boy and girl child. Grinds my gears. That's not Australia. It's not even this town as we have a lot of different cultures here, especially in the health profession.
    Get into the 21st century people

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Bluebirdgirl For This Useful Post:

TheGooch (19-01-2017)