+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 55 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    My whole family on both mum and dads side have been in Australia for generations so I cant really speak to the immigration aspect. I dont really know what 'being australian' to me is. Especially these days when politics have gotten so divisive and so far away from things I value (affordable child care, affordable health care, effective education systems etc) it's hard to say 'These are the things that make us, us."

There are personality traits which I certainly believe are traditionally seen as Australian, being a larrikan, a sense or irreverence etc but I hate to say that's what being an Australian is because lots of people including my husband are so far from that traditional 'Aussie' persona.

I'm a firm believer that we should change the date of Australia Day but I would fight tooth and nail to stop the flag being changed.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to zelda For This Useful Post:

Phony  (15-01-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    To me I'm not sure if the date matters. Easter weekend changes every year and we still celebrate it with a family BBQ every Easter Sunday... I think as long as it was always a day off work in summer (must be in Summer! It's no good without swimming and flies!), we'd still celebrate it the same way.

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to JR03 For This Useful Post:

almai  (16-01-2017),Phony  (15-01-2017),smallpotatoes  (15-01-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zelda View Post
    My whole family on both mum and dads side have been in Australia for generations so I cant really speak to the immigration aspect. I dont really know what 'being australian' to me is. Especially these days when politics have gotten so divisive and so far away from things I value (affordable child care, affordable health care, effective education systems etc) it's hard to say 'These are the things that make us, us."

There are personality traits which I certainly believe are traditionally seen as Australian, being a larrikan, a sense or irreverence etc but I hate to say that's what being an Australian is because lots of people including my husband are so far from that traditional 'Aussie' persona.

I'm a firm believer that we should change the date of Australia Day but I would fight tooth and nail to stop the flag being changed.
    @zelda - i would love our flag to be changed! Can I ask Why are you so against it?

Thanks
    Reviews
    I dont have a lot of personal attachment to the flag myself but it has a lot of meaning to many of our veterans. I think whilst certain conflicts are still a part of living memory, what the flag means to our older generations needs to be respected. Changing the flag would devastate my FIL and I would never want to be a part of causing him that much pain.

In a generation or two, maybe look at it again as Australia defines itself as a nation apart from the UK but for now, it has too deep a personal meaning for too many people who have already sacrificed enough.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to zelda For This Useful Post:

Hopeful37  (15-01-2017),Phony  (15-01-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I love being Australian! Celebrating my gratitude to live in such a beautiful country is important to me. We are very relaxed, love meeting and accepting new people, mingling over a bbq and a beer, beach cricket, afl... The list goes on.

We are first generation Australians, both my parents originally came from Englad, one loves it here one doesn't.

I Am very pro an Australia Day date change though. To many Australians the date marks a very dark time in our history. Murder, broken families and the demise of culture. It's really sad and for this reason Australia Day as it stands doesn't mean much to me.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Jarylee For This Useful Post:

Phony  (15-01-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

Default Being Australian.

Quote Originally Posted by zelda View Post
    I dont have a lot of personal attachment to the flag myself but it has a lot of meaning to many of our veterans. I think whilst certain conflicts are still a part of living memory, what the flag means to our older generations needs to be respected. Changing the flag would devastate my FIL and I would never want to be a part of causing him that much pain.

In a generation or two, maybe look at it again as Australia defines itself as a nation apart from the UK but for now, it has too deep a personal meaning for too many people who have already sacrificed enough.

Interesting, my dad was in Vietnam, he didn't fight for a flag, he fought for Australia, he fought to keep democracy, to let people decide for themselves, he thinks we also need a new flag to let go of the past and unite a bigger and better australia

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Elijahs Mum For This Useful Post:

Mama Mirabelle  (16-01-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I was born here; both my parents overseas.

To me, being Australian means we're incredibly fortunate compared to many people around the world. We live in a country that is safe, stable and wealthy.

As for Australia Day - I don't celebrate it. I disagree with the date. No matter what the history, I don't think that a date which many Indigenous people see as a day of mourning can ever be a day for united celebrations.

13. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Renn For This Useful Post:

Bluebirdgirl  (14-01-2017),Californication  (15-01-2017),Mama Mirabelle  (16-01-2017),Minniemin  (20-01-2017),Phony  (15-01-2017),Power child  (16-01-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Elijahs Mum View Post
    Interesting, my dad was in Vietnam, he didn't fight for a flag, he fought for Australia, he fought to keep democracy, to let people decide for themselves, he thinks we also need a new flag to let go of the past and unite a bigger and better australia
    I dont disagree with your dad. My FIL fought for the same things but for him that's represented by the flag. Right or wrong, it would hurt him (and many others) terribly to see the flag changed.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to zelda For This Useful Post:

VicPark  (15-01-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    What does it mean to you to be Australian? Belonging to one of the best counties in the world.
    How do you identify as Australian? Not sure how, I just do.
    Are you an immigrant? Have you assimilated into Australian culture fully, partially, or not at all? I was born here to immigrant parents, they moved a few months before I was born.

With Australia Day approaching, does the day mean anything to you? It used to. I used to associate it with celebrating what a wonderful country we have.
    Or has it lost it's shine? Unfortunately it has. It's been increasingly used by racists as a day to spread their hatred. On another note, I'm more aware now of what that day means to aboriginal people and it makes me not want to celebrate Australia Day.

Did you celebrate it once but now can't enjoy it in the same way? Yup!
    Would you like it changed or renamed or keep it as it is? I would like it renamed to indigenous Australians day or something as used as a day to celebrate our indigenous culture and promote / learn about indigenous history and culture. We should still have an Australia Day but move it to another month.

What do you consider Australian or Un-Australian?
    Australian - helping people, giving people a fair go, always being there for your mates, caring about others.
    Un-Australian - the opposite of above.

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to babyno1onboard For This Useful Post:

Phony  (15-01-2017),Sweetbabydreams  (17-01-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Thanks everyone

I have been much more aware of the flip side to the celebrations and how indigenous Australains don't see it as a celebration at all.
    I wasn't aware of that when I first got here at all.
    I only became aware of it in the last 3-4yrs because people have been more vocal about it, especially on social media which is probably where I heard it first.

Are there any plans to change the date or name of Australia Day or is it just being suggested at the the minute?

I couldn't see any other name more fitting if we want it to be inclusive, I think if the new name singles out any one group then we'll have the same issues down the track, obviously.

And I agree with not changing the flag (if it's to be changed) for a while.