+ Reply to Thread
Page 17 of 55 FirstFirst ... 7151617181927 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    This has been an enlightening read. I had no idea people thought Australia Day celebrations were dependent upon one's religious preference.
    Australia is a multicultural society and with that comes a plethora of religions. Each one has the right to be represented within the larger community, whether it be on a billboard, tv commercial or in a catalogue.
    I could understand the confusion if there were two Muslim ladies advertising Christmas but.. Australia Day??

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Koarlo For This Useful Post:

A-Squared (16-01-2017),Californication (16-01-2017),HollyGolightly81 (17-01-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    now to address the whole change the date crap.

WTF!!!! Are you joking???

Dude its this date and changing would be a joke.

Right or wrong this is the date most of us celebrate as australia day.

The beauty of this country if a few choose to call it invasion day then so be it. But does it really call for a ludicrous change the date debate.

We can choose to celebrate it or not depending on our choosing. Neither of us will end up in jail. Cause we have freedoms that other countries do not.

So just build a bridge and get over it.

The past is a past for a reason. We will never move forward if we continue to look backwards. Looking backwards only causes you to trip over.

Look at the germans they had hitler. Do you think every german wants to pay for what hitler did?? I do not think so. Should they? No. Same with the past English persons. We shouldnt have to pay forever for the sins of the past.

But i will always choose to participate in Australia day as a celebration. To change it would be wrong as far as Im concerned.

For the native persons of this country why be stuck in a tangled spiders web when by looking forward towards the future and the good that you could do in this country. Work along side and make a brighter future. Do not look at all white persons with the same brush. just as you don't want all of us whites to tar you with the same brush.

Insight is gained from the past but dwelling on it did no one any good.

mysticfalls.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to MysticFalls For This Useful Post:

MrsBMum2be (16-01-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by twinklify View Post
    Copied the article below:

Its main image is an Australian flag, and on the right hand side there are two smiling young women in hijabs.

Of course, as I have written previously, there are elements of the Muslim faith that are very concerning, and are in direct opposition to Australian laws and way of life.

This includes teenage forced marriage, restrictions on women’s movements and men taking multiple wives.

However, these aspects of Islam are not practised by main****** Muslims living peacefully in our Australian community, so should not be overstated.

I am also not much of a fan of the hijab, which seems to be a symbol of women’s oppression at the hands of men. In summer in particular, why should a woman’s body and hair be covered with material that is hot and cumbersome?

But I am not Muslim, and I do respect the right of religious freedom and religious dress followed by others.

Thats interesting cause no where in the koran does it say to cover up, it only mentions to cover up the head when worshiping. it does not say cover the entire body. This was perverted by men as a means of control. My friend if she does not cover up is beaten by her husband. So most women really do not have a choice. Even if they say it is there choice. Ask the same women to stop doing it and see how many have bruises from their family and spouse. These poor women are oppressed.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by twinklify View Post
    Experts across the board say social inclusion and strong communities are the best way to combat locally-grown terrorism.

Therefore, moves such as this can only help.
    I completely agree with this writer. Especially above ^^ Statistically terrorism is borne out of feeling excluded, judged, downtrodden. That's why those who recruit like to highlight the us vs them. I'm a bit older than most members, I'm heading towards 40 and I remember it used to be the Asians. The Asians were taking over the country, owning all the business taking all the jobs. People complained that they spoke Chinese or Vietnamese in public and how rude it was. They should speak English! they need to assimilate or go home! Now it's the muslims.

And of course there are A-hole Muslims. Those that beat their wives and force their beliefs on others. But it's the same with Christians, Caucasians, heterosexuals and short people.
    Last edited by delirium; 16-01-2017 at 22:18.

7. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to delirium For This Useful Post:

A-Squared (16-01-2017),atomicmama (16-01-2017),ExcuseMyFrench (17-01-2017),Mama Mirabelle (16-01-2017),TheGooch (16-01-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    @MysticFalls, have you read the rest of the thread?

Don't get caught up in your catchphrase "We will never move forward if we continue to look backwards. Looking backwards only causes you to trip over. "

Here's one for you - Those who forget the past are doomed to repeat it.

You have to acknowledge and learn from the past to make a better future.

9. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to JustJaq For This Useful Post:

Californication (16-01-2017),ExcuseMyFrench (17-01-2017),gingermillie (16-01-2017),HollyGolightly81 (17-01-2017),Renn (16-01-2017),smallpotatoes (17-01-2017),TheGooch (16-01-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MysticFalls View Post
    Thats interesting cause no where in the koran does it say to cover up, it only mentions to cover up the head when worshiping. it does not say cover the entire body. This was perverted by men as a means of control. My friend if she does not cover up is beaten by her husband. So most women really do not have a choice. Even if they say it is there choice. Ask the same women to stop doing it and see how many have bruises from their family and spouse. These poor women are oppressed.
    That is such a generalisation , the wearing of a scarf or head cover is cultural, actually started by the Jewish faith and taken on by some Christians and Muslims and depending on your country will depend on what dress tradition you usually follow , I have many Muslim clients who do not wear any head coverings

As for insinuating all Muslim women are beaten and oppressed I'm pretty sure Aussies and Christians ( and every other race) are not saints on the domestic violence front so that's a huge generalisation

11. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Elijahs Mum For This Useful Post:

atomicmama (16-01-2017),BigRedV (16-01-2017),gingermillie (16-01-2017),JustJaq (16-01-2017),Lincolns mummy (16-01-2017),Mama Mirabelle (16-01-2017),Renn (16-01-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    What a load of rot. My children's school has at least 60% Muslim students and not all the mums cover up. I've got Muslim friends who are sisters. Two wear the hijab and the other doesn't. My hairdresser is Muslim and she doesn't wear the scarf.

13. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to BigRedV For This Useful Post:

A-Squared (16-01-2017),JustJaq (16-01-2017),Mama Mirabelle (16-01-2017),TheGooch (16-01-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    As a feminist this breaks my heart and is one of the issues I have with the headdress. Not it's use but being forced to wear it. But let's be fair. 1 in 2 or 3 women (depending on the study) has suffered DV from a previous or current partner. Caucasians make up a majority of that. My closest friend lived in fear from her husband who was physically, emotionally and financially abusive. They are white, Atheist average Joes with a dozen generations in Aust.

DV touches every demographic that exists.

15. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to delirium For This Useful Post:

A-Squared (16-01-2017),babyno1onboard (16-01-2017),JustJaq (16-01-2017),Renn (16-01-2017),TheGooch (16-01-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Elijahs Mum View Post
    That is such a generalisation , the wearing of a scarf or head cover is cultural, actually started by the Jewish faith and taken on by some Christians and Muslims and depending on your country will depend on what dress tradition you usually follow , I have many Muslim clients who do not wear any head coverings

As for insinuating all Muslim women are beaten and oppressed I'm pretty sure Aussies and Christians ( and every other race) are not saints on the domestic violence front so that's a huge generalisation
    Nuns wear head coverings.

Priests and monks wear robes.

They all believe you need to dress modestly/cover up.

Yet somehow it is different than someone wearing a hijab?

17. The Following User Says Thank You to twinklify For This Useful Post:

A-Squared (16-01-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by delirium View Post
    And of course there are A-hole Muslims. Those that beat their wives and force their beliefs on others. But it's the same with Christians, Caucasians, heterosexuals and short people.
    Bahaahaha and short people!