+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 55 1231151 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

Default Being Australian.

I'm considering going for my citizenship this year (if I ever get the time to do it).

What does it mean to you to be Australian?
    How do you identify as Australian?
    Are you an immigrant? Have you assimilated into Australian culture fully, partially, or not at all?

With Australia Day approaching, does the day mean anything to you?
    Or has it lost it's shine?

Did you celebrate it once but now can't enjoy it in the same way?
    Would you like it changed or renamed or keep it as it is?

What do you consider Australian or Un-Australian?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Un-Australian:
    - pushing in line
    - tooting ones horn (excessively)
    - people not having equal opportunity to succeed in life

That's all I have for now...

3. The Following User Says Thank You to VicPark For This Useful Post:

Phony  (14-01-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    I'm not an immigrant but my husband is and so is my mum. My mum came to Australia on a boat as a refugee after living in a refugee camp for 5 years.

I don't really know what I think of assimilation. I think people can live together without the expectation that they have to lose their identity. I live in a very multicultural area. The suburb next to me is one of the most diverse in the country and people live together here no trouble at all. My kids have friends from all over the world and their lives are better for it. There are 42 different nationalities at my children's school.

I have neighbours from England, Lebanon, Greece, Macedonia, New Zealand, Ireland, China and it's fantastic.

I think being Australian means accepting people for who they are, giving people a fair go and embracing other cultures. We are a multicultural country and it's time people accept that.

5. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to BigRedV For This Useful Post:

Freyamum  (14-01-2017),Mama Mirabelle  (14-01-2017),Mason98  (15-01-2017),Minniemin  (20-01-2017),mrsboyts  (15-01-2017),MrsSS  (18-01-2017),Phony  (14-01-2017),SuperGranny  (16-01-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRedV View Post
    My mum came to Australia on a boat as a refugee after living in a refugee camp for 5 years.
    Five years! Horrible. Was she a child or an adult at the time.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Phony View Post
    I'm considering going for my citizenship this year (if I ever get the time to do it).

What does it mean to you to be Australian?
    How do you identify as Australian?
    Are you an immigrant? Have you assimilated into Australian culture fully, partially, or not at all?

With Australia Day approaching, does the day mean anything to you?
    Or has it lost it's shine?

Did you celebrate it once but now can't enjoy it in the same way?
    Would you like it changed or renamed or keep it as it is?

What do you consider Australian or Un-Australian?
    I am the daughter of a Polish immigrant. My father came out to Australia just after WW2 along with his Mother, Step-Father and Brother. I remember when I was younger (maybe 12-14) my Dad applied for Australian citizenship. When I asked him what it was, and why he was doing it, he just said that Australia offered his family a chance at building a happy life, and he was an Australian now.

I identify myself as Australian as I was born here, but my Polish heritage is very important to me.

To me, being Australian means giving people a fair go. In general I think Aussies are relaxed and open and like to see the lighter side of life. It is all the 'stereotypical things' you hear about - bbqs, beaches, thong blow-outs, and larrikin-ism. I love our country and I do believe we are very lucky to be here.

Australia Day to me is a day of demonstrating our mate-ship and having a good time. A day to celebrate how lucky we are to be here. To celebrate our nation as it is today. It certainly hasn't lost it's shine to me I love the day, I love our flag, and I am proud of our country. I would not like to see the day re-named nor the flag changed. Maybe that's an unpopular view but that's how I feel.
    Last edited by Blossom74; 15-01-2017 at 14:17.

8. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Blossom74 For This Useful Post:

AngelicHobgoblin  (14-01-2017),CazHazKidz  (16-01-2017),misho  (16-01-2017),Phony  (14-01-2017),SuperGranny  (16-01-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Five years! Horrible. Was she a child or an adult at the time.
    She was a baby. The war broke out, they had to leave immediately and she was only a couple of months old. Her mum and dad walked to Germany with my mum and they also had 3 other children. One was left behind as he was with grandparents and they were told to evacuate. My grandfather went back to get his son but was told nobody survived. They stayed in a refugee camp for 5 years and then came to Australia. When my mum was 12, they found out that her brother was alive and he still lives there (Lithuania) today.

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BigRedV For This Useful Post:

almai  (16-01-2017),AngelicHobgoblin  (14-01-2017),Phony  (14-01-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRedV View Post
    She was a baby. The war broke out, they had to leave immediately and she was only a couple of months old. Her mum and dad walked to Germany with my mum and they also had 3 other children. One was left behind as he was with grandparents and they were told to evacuate. My grandfather went back to get his son but was told nobody survived. They stayed in a refugee camp for 5 years and then came to Australia. When my mum was 12, they found out that her brother was alive and he still lives there (Lithuania) today.

This is very similar to my Father's story. His family left behind a daughter, and after spending time in the German holding camps they escaped and came to Australia. Then they set up camp with many other refugees before they were able to find work and start their lives here. The things they saw...

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Blossom74 For This Useful Post:

Phony  (14-01-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    @BigRedV, those years spent not knowing what happened to their child must have been a living hell.

Heartbreaking stories.
    I'm relieved to hear they had a happy ending.

Quote Originally Posted by Blossom74 View Post
    To me, being Australian means giving people a fair go. In general I think Aussies are relaxed and open and like to see the lighter side of life. It is all the 'stereotypical things' you hear about - bbqs, beaches, thong blow-outs, and larrikin-ism. I love our country and I do believe we are very lucky to be here.

Australia Day to me is a day of demonstrating our mate-ship and having a good time. A day to celebrate how lucky we are to be here. It certainly hasn't lost it's shine to me I love the day, I love our flag, and I am proud of our country. I would not like to see the day re-named nor the flag changed. Maybe that's an unpopular view but that's how I feel.
    I agree.
    I think every country should have a day to celebrate it's culture.
    As the years pass by I can see a turn against this though.
    I can see both sides of the argument and maybe the suggestions of changing the date without losing any of the traditions might be the best compromise?
    If that was put forward would it be a huge deal to you?

Thanks
    Reviews
    I agree.
    I think every country should have a day to celebrate it's culture.
    As the years pass by I can see a turn against this though.
    I can see both sides of the argument and maybe the suggestions of changing the date without losing any of the traditions might be the best compromise?
    If that was put forward would it be a huge deal to you?

You know, it kind of would. I'm a traditionalist. And as divisive as it may be, it's kind of like saying to me "How about we make Dec 24th Christmas day from now on...would it be the same to you?" In my honest opinion, no it wouldn't. The sentiment may well be the same but I'd still know in my heart it wasn't the 'real' Christmas, if that makes sense? I completely understand and respect other's right to an alternative opinion though

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Blossom74 For This Useful Post:

Phony  (14-01-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I think I'd be OK with the date changing if the sentiment and celebrations remained the same.

I've come from celebrating Christmas in the depths of winter to celebrating in the sizzling heat.
    That has changed everything about the day for me.
    From food to activities.
    I can still enjoy it but it's not real Christmas to me.
    If the date changed to July 25th I'd be cool with that.

Same if St Patrick's Day back at home changed to another date.
    I don't think anyone would change how the celebrate the day at all.

Anyway my point being, to me the date is insignificant, the traditions and coming together to celebrate is more important, but I understand everyone is different.

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Phony For This Useful Post:

Blossom74  (14-01-2017),LaDiDah  (14-01-2017)