+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Primary School advice in North Brisbane -

Hi Everyone. My DD starts prep in 2018 and we are looking to move from North Lakes to somewhere closer to the city due to the commute time with work.

We love Wavell Heights / Chermside however, we want to base our decision on where we want to send our kids to school for logistical reasons and also potentially catchment if we decide to send them to a SS. So... does anyone have any recommendations of great schools in this area, both state and private?

Also, any feedback on Wavell Heights SS and Prince of Peace in Everton Hills? Love what I have heard about Prince of Peace so far but it would be great to hear from some parents that have children at the school.

We're open to all North / North West suburb around that area.

Thanks in advance!
    Last edited by Working Mama Bear; 14-01-2017 at 07:13.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Advice on schools in the Northern Suburbs for 2018

We looked at Prince of Peace and it was excellent. In the end though we went with Newmarket SS, she starts this year so can't give you any class feedback as yet but we went with Newmarket because of the community feel & the school size (230 children). Also it is not a catchment managed school so we didn't have to live in the area. Newmarket also performs excellently against other schools (NAPLAN wise) and it is in the top 12% in the state. We also have friends who send their two children to Newmarket and who love it. My daughter has been attending the Newmarket Vacation Care for the past week before school starts and she loves it, they do so many great activities for the kids such as a trip to trip to the pool, a big park in Taigum, a petting zoo came to the school, this week they are going to the movies!

POP performs exceptionally as well, it has a nice vibe but I didn't get the right 'feeling' from the teachers and staff for MY daughter. The fees were also a drawback, as while tuition was reasonable, once we factored in the costs of after school care a few days week, uniforms, levys, fee increases which occur every year etc, we would have been looking at around $9000 per year/$63k+ over the course of her primary years. It is also slightly larger (570ish kids) and this year they were going to have 3-4 prep classes from memory to Newmarkets 2. The sizes were also larger too.

Another school to look at would be Queen of Apostles in Stafford. We would have loved to send our daughters there, but the split campuses meant our daughters (3 years apart) would have only been together in primary school for 1 year (year 3 & 6), and it was important for us for them to be together as much as possible. Couldn't fault it otherwise!

Another thing to consider is the vacation care/after school care fees if you need them. POP was more expensive for both, ($20 for ASC as opposed to $15 at Newmarket, and $47 for vacation care as opposed to $40 - not a lot daily but adds up over the year).

It really depends on what is important to you. Academically, all 3 schools I've mentioned do well. School size was important to us, we didn't want anything too big! If school size isn't a huge thing for you though, I've heard great things about Nundah SS, MacDowall SS, Wilston SS & Windsor SS. I haven't heard too much about Wavell Heights so hopefully someone can help you with that. Good luck! We went through this last year and researched and spent a lot of time weighing up pros and cons of each school, but ultimately it came down to the vibe of the school itself & value for money.
    Last edited by bwrlab; 14-01-2017 at 07:32.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to bwrlab For This Useful Post:

Working Mama Bear  (15-01-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Hi we have kids that go to POP, there are only 3 prep classes ever, this year they have around 18-20 per class, i know as ive seen the class lists. Plus one of my kids just finished prep last year. Fees come out to about $5500 after all the levies are included, they have a in house speech therapist and occupational therapist which is handy- my sons use them. It means i don't have to drive them to appts and the teachers are kept in the loop. Uniforms aren't any more expensive than other schools, plus there are heaps of 2nd hand uniforms for cheap. All excursions are included in the fees. Have a daughter going thru to year 3 and there are 19 in her class, again only 3 classes. Have been happy so far, very strong community feel.. Forgot to add, my daughter gets extra maths tuition during school hours at no extra cost. Fees increase $100 per year only.
    Last edited by GlitterFarts; 14-01-2017 at 12:04.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to GlitterFarts For This Useful Post:

Working Mama Bear  (15-01-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Advice on schools in the Northern Suburbs for 2018

Ah thanks for clarifying - this was important for us so we made sure to ask, she said she was expecting between 23-25
    Last edited by bwrlab; 14-01-2017 at 17:12.