Closed Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    I live in an area with low vaccine rates too (far northern nsw) and we really had to think about this before moving here. The things that made it happen for us were family support (both parents and in laws live here), this is where we found jobs, and the theory that we were done with having children. Near to where we live, they actually refer to the "whooping cough season" and it's appalling to hear the kids in the cooler months. We have kept our children out of daycare and when they started attending preschool, found a place with higher vaccination rates. Most of our family is pro-vax, although there is a part of hubby's family that is anti-vax and we just make sure we don't see them very much, especially during winter. With this new baby, I'm thankful it's a summer baby for a start, and we're keeping the unvaxxed family away until the baptism when he's four months old. We won't be going far until he's had his first lot of shots too, and the family that do believe in vaccines have all been happy to get boosters.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Wickedly Happy For This Useful Post:

Frankenmum  (13-01-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Thank you for your input @Wickedly Happy! Very interesting to hear from someone who's done it. Gosh "whooping cough season" sounds scary!! Those poor kids.

We don't have any family up here, so where we live up here doesn't make a difference in that respect. DH's new job is only 20 mins away from that area, or 15 mins away from where we are now. So its not much difference for that either.

I've been doing more thinking about it today and thinking maybe it's best to revisit the idea in a couple of years when the kids are older. DS1 doesn't start prep until 2018. And maybe the "no jab, no play" will have improved vax rates in a few years.
    Last edited by Frankenmum; 13-01-2017 at 18:51.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Frankenmum For This Useful Post:

Wickedly Happy  (13-01-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by PipersMummy View Post
    It would never even occur to me to check

I don't know how I would feel with a new born but with my 6 and 3yo I'd move there.
    I've never checked anywhere I've lived before, it never occurred to me either. But this area is popular with people who live an alternative/natural lifestyle. So that's what made me think about it and look it up.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Frankenmum For This Useful Post:

PipersMummy  (14-01-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Because you can still catch things like measles, chicken pox and the like even if vaxxed (though with milder symptoms) I wouldn't move somewhere where my children would be exposed to a higher likelihood of catching it from unvaxxed kids. Even if they got a mild case of chicken pox etc. knowing I could have done something to try to help prevent this happening would send me into massive mummy guilt overdrive

8. The Following User Says Thank You to me+he&she=three For This Useful Post:

Frankenmum  (13-01-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Wickedly Happy View Post
    I live in an area with low vaccine rates too (far northern nsw) and we really had to think about this before moving here. The things that made it happen for us were family support (both parents and in laws live here), this is where we found jobs, and the theory that we were done with having children. Near to where we live, they actually refer to the "whooping cough season" and it's appalling to hear the kids in the cooler months. We have kept our children out of daycare and when they started attending preschool, found a place with higher vaccination rates. Most of our family is pro-vax, although there is a part of hubby's family that is anti-vax and we just make sure we don't see them very much, especially during winter. With this new baby, I'm thankful it's a summer baby for a start, and we're keeping the unvaxxed family away until the baptism when he's four months old. We won't be going far until he's had his first lot of shots too, and the family that do believe in vaccines have all been happy to get boosters.
    I too live in northern nsw and it's amazing how many aren't vaxxers.
    In 2013 the rate here was 70% non vacd. That's an incredible statistic

10. The Following User Says Thank You to granny1 For This Useful Post:

Frankenmum  (13-01-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    I couldn't go purely from the I-would-have-to-deal-with-the-adults-that-didn't-vax-and-I-couldn't-hold-my-tongue aspect.

I couldn't see myself getting along in such a community.
    This. I can get along with people that have differing opinions and life style choices. But the vaccine debate is a no brainer. 99% of the research proves the relative value (and I say relative bc I know not every single injection 'works') and safety of modern vaccines. This isn't breast vs formula or pram vs baby wearing. Not only is the science conclusive, but those that don't vax aren't just placing their own kids at risk but newborns, the elderly and immuno-compromised.

I can somewhat respect the idea of wanting to delay for certain ones. But to not vax for WC bc you wear a tin foil hat. Nope, sorry. I couldn't form close bonds with those people, and there aren't many things I would consider bad enough to say that.
    Last edited by delirium; 13-01-2017 at 21:28.

12. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to delirium For This Useful Post:

atomicmama  (13-01-2017),babyno1onboard  (13-01-2017),Frankenmum  (13-01-2017),Gentoo  (13-01-2017),Hopeful37  (13-01-2017),LaDiDah  (13-01-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    The Sunnie Coast had the lowest rate of vaccinations in Australia last time I checked. Sigh... Is the suburb you're looking at any better than the one you're currently living in?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Louise41 View Post
    I too live in northern nsw and it's amazing how many aren't vaxxers.
    In 2013 the rate here was 70% non vacd. That's an incredible statistic
    It's just scary, isn't it. And they're all so convinced they're right too! I find it hard to hold my tongue, but I have lots of statistical and factual info at the ready at my work.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Wickedly Happy View Post
    It's just scary, isn't it. And they're all so convinced they're right too! I find it hard to hold my tongue, but I have lots of statistical and factual info at the ready at my work.
    Yep drives me nuts. I work in an industry where I deal with diverse clients and the number of kids who aren't vaccd does my head in

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by babyno1onboard View Post
    The Sunnie Coast had the lowest rate of vaccinations in Australia last time I checked. Sigh... Is the suburb you're looking at any better than the one you're currently living in?
    We're near Caloundra at the moment. We were looking at Maleny. So from what I can find online Maleny is much worse for vax rates - 64% as opposed to the SC average of 86%. Apparently Noosa and the hinterland are the worst areas for it. I couldn't find postcode specific info for where I am now.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Frankenmum For This Useful Post:

babyno1onboard  (14-01-2017)