+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Changing insurance

I'm with RACV for home, contents and car insurances.

I've just received 2017s renewal notices and it seems a bit pricey!!

Can anyone recommend a cheap insurance provider?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Our car is with Woolworths.
    No other provider could come close, especially taking in to account things like windscreen cover and roadside assistance.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    My only advice is to read all the fine print.

For home and contents check what they consider 'contents' (I know someone who had a fire and their insurance company deemed the flooring to be contents). See what cover they provide in floods/storms if you live in a flood prone area.

Also check what is important for car insurance. Check reviews on claim processes etc.

As for me, we have Shannons due to our 2nd car (DH is a car enthusiast (lol) and his last car was uninsurable with every other company and current car has limited driving insurance as we don't drive it much).

Thanks
    Reviews
    Have a look at your last renewal. Check what exactly has increased in price as well.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Cheaper is not necessarily better with insurance.

I'd recommend ringing around some of the better known insurances companies (AAMI? GIO? Allianz? etc) and obtaining quotes. In fact, I do this every single year for both of our cars and our contents insurance.

It's quite easy to change companies, and sometimes you can save a bundle in the process.

But yes.. do read the fine print. Particularly for things like what flood cover will actually cover you for. Quite often they have so many clauses you're not actually covered for anything!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Currently our home, contents and cars are with Youi. Their prices are competitive and I've dealt with them for the claim process (car accident) and was very happy with how it was handled.

I rang for a quote with RACV for home/contents and was shocked how much more expensive. With Youi we pay $90 per month ($1080pa). RACV quoted me about $2500 per annum!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Budget Direct are really competitive for car insurance.

Their quote for contents insurance is much cheaper than my current insurer (NRMA) also, just need to get around to changing over.