+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Toilet training plans - check me on my strategy

Hi guys/ladies.
    Just to start this I am writing this as a single dad I don't think that should make a difference but maybe help understand my perspective.

My son is 17 months, and I know it's early but I want to start slowly and early with him, add to that he also can tell me basic things he needs in Auslan/sign language (I'm deaf).

Every morning when we get up it's straight to the bathroom, to take his over night nappy off and use the toilet myself, as I do this I have just started putting him on a potty in front of me, to keep him there I put a talking book in front of him, and that seems to work also most mornings it makes him produce a good result.

Right now he's obviously still in nappies most of the time, but for a couple of hours during the day I put him in some undies when he is least likely to have an accident, he seems to like that because when I put a nappy back on him later he protests a bit.
    He's learning to tell when he needs to go to the toilet and some times can make the sign for toilet, if I am quick I can get him to the potty before anything happens, when he does that I praise him up play with him and make a big deal about it, it's only one time in five but it's a start right?
    Sometimes he can't tell me until after it's happened and when that happens I still play with him some but I don't make such a big deal of it as when he can tell me before.

Every day at midday and then again at 6pm I get him on his potty again and make out like I am doing the same normally now nothing happens at 6 but sometimes at 12.
    I don't try at night because he doesn't have much energy left by 8ish at night usually when I put him to bed for the night, mostly he sleeps right through the night most nights so I don't try again but by the morning not long after I go to get him he makes the sign for toilet again.

I've been doing this for about 6 weeks and right now I don't know much to change. Can I do anything better I'm open to anything.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 29/5/15Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week100 Posts in a week
    I'd just keep communicating. I'm constantly talking about what we do when we feel like we need to wee/poo etc. 70% of the time she does a poo on the potty but no wees yet. I started around 21 months and it's 6 months later and we still aren't toilet trained. Maybe have the potty in access all the time so he can go to it to show you he needs it.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Mamasupial For This Useful Post:

Mason98  (12-01-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Just keep going and keeping things informal and fun at this age. Bub is quite young still and when bub is fully ready (2.5-3? - can communicate easily/pull own pants down etc) it will be a pretty easy process as you've done the ground work/familiarization training.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to VicPark For This Useful Post:

Mason98  (12-01-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Sounds like you're doing great, keep it fun and just follow his lead. Nowadays that age is considered 'early' but when I was a baby it was very normal to start putting bub on a potty once they could walk. Baby sign is used as lot by people pottying younger toddlers and also great for communication full stop. I started DD on the potty at 10m during the day and she would use her own hand signal to indicate the need to wee even without me teaching her. She was out of day nappies at 21m. She also had a pattern to her toilet habits that made it easier (10 minutes after a big drink etc) so I would give opportunities at those times. Like your DS she would get undies time each day and eventually I would let her choose if she wanted a nappy or undies each morning/if we were leaving the house.

DS was a whole other kettle of fish, hence why my advice is to follow their lead. Starting him so early would have required "forcing" him to sit/go, but for DD's personality it was always fun and her choice. It sounds like your DS is more like this, so if it's a positive experience then stick with it.

(Also, don't worry about nights too much as there's entirely different mechanisms required - hormones to tell the body to keep condensing the urine etc - so night training can happen much, much later).

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Stretched For This Useful Post:

Mason98  (12-01-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for the replies!
    I'm not trying to force him, though maybe with how I started could be considered force by using something to lure him, but he's receptive and it's just part of his day now, I know he's young too that's why I say start slowly and can take as long as he needs.
    I'm not so worried at night I know that's going to take lots longer.

Thanks for the great advice I appreciate it!!!!

SuperGranny is offline Worlds best grandma! Winner 2012 - Most Helpful Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    hi mason. you are doing a great job. The average toddler is daytime toilet trained by about 2yrs, night time training can take until three, or longer. I did much the same with my children, just a regular pattern of going to the toilet and washing hands before we eat. No pressure no punishments, just this is what we do. It all came together eventually. marie.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to SuperGranny For This Useful Post:

Mason98  (12-01-2017)