+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Any teacher/librarians here?

Are there any teacher/librarians here on the hub who can describe their role for me...particularly in a primary school. Do you provide release time for teachers or do you work alongside them in planning/teaching? What are your main fault tasks in a school? I'm considering a role change but am not entirely sure whether this might be the way to go. Thanks!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm a teacher, not a teacher-librarian but I'll share my thoughts. Different schools may use their teacher librarians in different ways. Our teacher librarian is shared between the middle and junior schools. From what I can see, she takes classes for a period or less for book borrowing and book-based activities. For the older students, she creates research materials to support the assignments us teachers design.

There can be scope for creativity for teacher-librarians as the challenge is to foster a love of reading in kids

Hours are MUCH BETTER than a regular teacher as you probably wouldn't do much prep outside of school hours and no marking/report writing

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Yogis Mumma For This Useful Post:

NAT2561  (11-01-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks. Yes i imagined the conditions might be a bit less home prep than teaching and the role i'm looking at isn't taking classes, only supporting the teacher, so less responsibility in that way i guess.. Can in ask what you mean by "she creates research materials" for older students? Just trying to get my head around it. I have a lot of teaching experience but never in a school with a librarian!! All small schools...often without a library let alone a librarian...ha!

Thanks
    Reviews
    She creates 'research guides' - my understanding is that the school uses an online template for this whereby all of the good websites/video and tips for research are in one area for the students to access. I give my assignment sheet to the librarian a few weeks before my students get it and then she spends time find good resources and uploads them to a mini website as such for the students. It ends up being a starting point for them in their research. It'll also have links to how to reference and take notes etc. It's just a great supporting guide for students. We rarely go to the library to research now, most is done electronically (that's in my school anyway).

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Yogis Mumma For This Useful Post:

NAT2561  (12-01-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Ah....i understand. Thank you!!!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to NAT2561 For This Useful Post:

Yogis Mumma  (12-01-2017)