ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by YeahYeahYeah View Post
    I fully understand that mums reasons but you couldn't keep changing it!

We didn't change our DDs. DP was a flat out no but agreed to consider it. I tried ALL avenues to no avail.

I'm so disappointed. Put me in the 'baby name regret' pile.

We switched to calling her Millie though & that's been a nice change. Initially baby & dog were a bit confused by the whole thing & sometimes dog responds which is amusing. Other people are calling her 'Meals' which I really don't like but another lesson learnt in that you can't control nicknames.
    I disagree. I think you can control nicknames. If you don't like it say so! Tell them her name is not "Meals" and you would prefer her to be called "Millie". Keep repeating until they respect your wishes.

I have an Edward. He is Edward. He is not Ed, Eddie, Ted, Teddy, Ned or even Ward! He is introduced as Edward and people are corrected if they shorten it. He doesn't respond to any of the above combinations, wouldn't have any idea you were talking to him. He does correct people himself now if he does realised they are talking to him. He is almost 6.

If you want your child to be called something I think you have to start right from the beginning how you mean to go on. It might mean being tough but the alternative is that your child will get a nickname you dislike.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    You can't control it forever though. I have a nephew whose name was 'Samuel', his mother insisted that was his name and nothing else would do. Fast forward to age 7 and he is now 'Sammy'.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by amyd View Post
    You can't control it forever though. I have a nephew whose name was 'Samuel', his mother insisted that was his name and nothing else would do. Fast forward to age 7 and he is now 'Sammy'.
    I may eat my words but I really think you can if you want a name enough. We test our Edward. We call him by all the nickname variations and his response is always the same "My name is Edward"!

I know people with names like Katherine, Samantha, Michael etc who have always been those names. It is possible if it is reinforced enough. Positive reinforcement is a tool in your weaponry!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I totally get it. I really, really wanted to change my middle child's name at 5 months. It was just so popular, it seemed almost cliche and I'm not sure what I was thinking when I chose it! I even spoke to the department re changing her name, researched costs etc. Like yours, my DH was flat out against it. Now she has a cute nickname that differentiates her from the 10 others with the same name we meet at any child gathering, and it's really grown to "be hers" now, at age 3.