ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I think I would tell him, let him experience 'death' now with someone that he's not very close with so he has a basic understanding of death for when he does loose someone close... let him ask questions & learn from it while you are able to explain to him it to him without being too emotional... it will be much harder on all of you when it's someone very close so treat it as a learning experience as it is unfortunately part of life. Good luck & condolences to you X

2. The Following User Says Thank You to AmyEL For This Useful Post:

Elijahs Mum  (11-01-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I would tell him.

Recently our kids g-g-uncle died. They never saw him but we used to visit his property and look after it for him. One day when we were headed up the kids commenting about Uncle X being in the hospital (that's easier to understand than nursing home) and all we did was say 'he's not in the hospital any more, Uncle X died'. When they asked we just explained that he was old and his body was worn out and stopped working. They were fine.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to amyd For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I would tell him because if he sees the man's wife next time and innocently asks about where her husband is, it will no doubt be an awkward moment and he won't understand why. Plus it will prepare him for when someone close to him passes in the future. It is sad but it's a part of life. I'm sure your local library will have some appropriate picture books about death that will help you explain it to him, that may make things easier. Good luck xxxx

6. The Following User Says Thank You to AceOfBase For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger
    Quote Originally Posted by AmyEL View Post
    I think I would tell him, let him experience 'death' now with someone that he's not very close with so he has a basic understanding of death for when he does loose someone close... let him ask questions & learn from it while you are able to explain to him it to him without being too emotional... it will be much harder on all of you when it's someone very close so treat it as a learning experience as it is unfortunately part of life. Good luck & condolences to you X
    Actually I think this is a really good point.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I would. We recently told my DD who is 3 that my step mum's father had died and that she was sad. We see my step mum every month or so, but she has never met her father.

I think it is important kids learn about death. My parents sheltered me from death throughout my childhood (eg. never even allowed a fish in case they died, not allowed to watch anything with death in it etc) so it was beyond devastating when my Nan died at 10, because I had never death with death at all before.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to hollypolly For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    I definitely would...use it as a teaching/learning experience. I have talked with my children about death and dying since very early toddlerhood - ie at 18mo we saw a dead bird and I explained that it had died, and what had happened (was hit by a car - was a road safety lesson too 😉). It's very important to me that my kids have a healthy understanding of death and dying...it's the cycle of life and can't be escaped.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Kaybaby For This Useful Post:

Elijahs Mum  (12-01-2017)