+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by babyno1onboard View Post
    This is crap. Before we get overly concerted about how it affects us, I think we should look at how a 5% increase on the rates we are currently paying will affect us. Childcare rates may hit $200 a day at the most expensive places in Sydney but if you're not using one of those centres you won't be paying $200 a day.

But yes, the increases are crap and the childcare rebate reforms should be brought in sooner rather than later.
    That's true. But prices are often in line with wages. Syd people pay more for CC but statistically they earn more than rural families. Just as rural CC are cheaper but people's incomes are also much less. The average wage in my area for over 30's is only 47k! So regional/country people are going to be hurting just as much.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by delirium View Post
    That's true. But prices are often in line with wages. Syd people pay more for CC but statistically they earn more than rural families. Just as rural CC are cheaper but people's incomes are also much less. The average wage in my area for over 30's is only 47k! So regional/country people are going to be hurting just as much.
    Yes. But they also get through the $7500 rebate much quicker. And then have to pay full fee. I also don't want to pull DS out of his childcare as he has ao many friends there. But it costs more than the local one which has hours that do not suit us.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to twinklify For This Useful Post:

delirium  (10-01-2017),VicPark  (10-01-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Childcare set to rise a substantial amount?

Quote Originally Posted by delirium View Post
    Yes. But also the lower income earners who use cheaper daycare centres are less likely to reach their CCR cap with the increases as well. And most would be entitled to CCB.

I'm not trying to say it doesn't suck (particularly for those who live in areas with high cost centres) but when I looked at those figures and applied them to my specific situation the impact was minimal because the child care centre I use has much lower fees than those in the article. I just don't want people to get worried about their own situations based on the media headline without reading the fine print

Eg my centre charges $90 per day, a 5% increase is $4.50 and I get 50% CCR so it will be a $2.25 increase per day. If someone also received CCB, the increase would be something like $1.50 per day.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to babyno1onboard For This Useful Post:

JustJaq  (10-01-2017),nicole83  (10-01-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yeah, while it does suck, you need to read beyond the headline. It is projected to be a gradual increase. In fact, i think my cc has already been going up 5% per year. I think CPI might be about 3% per year? So while it might be the final straw for some families, probably most will be able to accomodate a gradual increase, if it happens in the way projected. I think it's more a case of being alert, not alarmed ☺

7. The Following User Says Thank You to JustJaq For This Useful Post:

smallpotatoes  (10-01-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by twinklify View Post
    Yes. But they also get through the $7500 rebate much quicker. And then have to pay full fee. I also don't want to pull DS out of his childcare as he has ao many friends there. But it costs more than the local one which has hours that do not suit us.
    Quote Originally Posted by babyno1onboard View Post
    Yes. But also the lower income earners who use cheaper daycare centres are less likely to reach their CCR cap with the increases as well. And most would be entitled to CCB.
    Fair point

Thanks
    Reviews
    An $80 centre is not going to become a $200 centre anytime soon - but a $160 centre might.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to JustJaq For This Useful Post:

VicPark  (10-01-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Childcare set to rise a substantial amount?

Horrendous. This is why when I return to work in 6 months I am seriously considering a Sunday shift - no childcare fees and double time. But we will be sacrificing family time to do that.
    I earn a decent wage but when I did the sums on what's left after paying for 2 kids in daycare it ain't much! It's a vicious cycle for mums: forced into staying home for a number of years due to the cost of childcare, then struggle to return to the workforce due to such a big break from paid employment.
    I understand it's a gradual increase, but the government just seems to be going around in circles with the rebate system.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to rosey82 For This Useful Post:

mckel  (10-01-2017)

harvs is offline Winner 2014 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Winner 2016 - Member you'd most like to meet
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 2/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 19/3/15Busiest Member of the Week200 Posts in a week
    This is devastating to single parents.