+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Early waking

Hey ladies,
    This is probably a ridiculous thing to be asking about (I'm sure it could be worse lol)
    DS is waking up every day between 5am and 6am.. regardless of what time he is in bed the night before. He's usually in bed between 7:30 and 8:30 at night (8:30 is only on days when df is on day shifts (doesn't get to see him if he isn't awake a little at night)

He is still having a day sleep and I don't really think he's ready to drop it. His day sleep is usually around 12:30 and can be up any where between 2:30 and 4. I'm wondering if he's sleeping too much during the day?

He's barely coping during the day from being tired. If we go out anywhere he is grumpy and falling asleep in the car. He's very much like me when I don't have enough sleep. I'm such a cranky cow lol.
    DS is the type of kid who is full on and doesn't stop. He's exhausted all the time from lack of sleep but is still go go go.

Does anyone have any ideas on how to help him sleep more and better? I probably wouldn't be so frustrated if he seemed well rested but he's so tired he's hard to deal with.

Thanks ladies x

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hasselhoff View Post
    Hey ladies,
    This is probably a ridiculous thing to be asking about (I'm sure it could be worse lol)
    DS is waking up every day between 5am and 6am.. regardless of what time he is in bed the night before. He's usually in bed between 7:30 and 8:30 at night (8:30 is only on days when df is on day shifts (doesn't get to see him if he isn't awake a little at night)

He is still having a day sleep and I don't really think he's ready to drop it. His day sleep is usually around 12:30 and can be up any where between 2:30 and 4. I'm wondering if he's sleeping too much during the day?

He's barely coping during the day from being tired. If we go out anywhere he is grumpy and falling asleep in the car. He's very much like me when I don't have enough sleep. I'm such a cranky cow lol.
    DS is the type of kid who is full on and doesn't stop. He's exhausted all the time from lack of sleep but is still go go go.

Does anyone have any ideas on how to help him sleep more and better? I probably wouldn't be so frustrated if he seemed well rested but he's so tired he's hard to deal with.

Thanks ladies x
    Hmm... my DS is similar as he also does not sleep heaps at night but he isn't overly tired all day. He naps at childcare and sometimes at home.

Have you tried no day sleep and getting him to bed at 6.30? Or maybe restrict his sleep to an hour and then try getting him down before 7? It works sometimes for DS.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    My son is 9 and is only just starting to sleep in up until 7am usually when I get home from work in the mornings. It's not every day. He goes to bed at 8pm usually on a school day but with it being holidays, he will go anytime up until 9pm and falls asleep usually within 2mins of going to bed.

I tried everything but in the end I figured it was his body clock and it would change when it was ready.

Kiddo has always been up early from when he was a toddler. It sucks having to start your day so early(not so much these days coz I sleep in if I don't have anything planned).

Thanks
    Reviews
    How dark is his room in the morning? My dd is sensitive to light and sound in the morning as that's when her sleep is lightest. We have blockout blinds and curtains in her room and play white noise and she sleeps til 7:30-8. But I also think kids (like adults) have a natural wake up time so it might be hard to change
    My dd is 18 months and her day nap is 12:15 and I wake her at 3pm no matter what. She then goes to bed at 7pm.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Myztiks#1Fan View Post
    My son is 9 and is only just starting to sleep in up until 7am usually when I get home from work in the mornings. It's not every day. He goes to bed at 8pm usually on a school day but with it being holidays, he will go anytime up until 9pm and falls asleep usually within 2mins of going to bed.

I tried everything but in the end I figured it was his body clock and it would change when it was ready.

Kiddo has always been up early from when he was a toddler. It sucks having to start your day so early(not so much these days coz I sleep in if I don't have anything planned).
    I hope DD (6) ends up sleeping in someday like this.

She is up around 5am everyday. Even with no school- late bedtimes.

She has slept in to 7am a couple of times in the last year, I'm sure it was when she was having a growth spurt.

She has always been on the go constantly, rarely seems tired and didn't sleep much as a baby/ toddler.

Hope it improves for you op! Sorry, no great advice but you're not alone.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    I don't think sleeping past 5/6am is a ridiculous or totally uncontainable goal in older babies/kids.

How old is your DS?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by twinklify View Post
    Hmm... my DS is similar as he also does not sleep heaps at night but he isn't overly tired all day. He naps at childcare and sometimes at home.

Have you tried no day sleep and getting him to bed at 6.30? Or maybe restrict his sleep to an hour and then try getting him down before 7? It works sometimes for DS.
    DS is usually ready for his day time nap. He won't nap at childcare. Well for about 20 minutes but even that doesn't stop his early wake up. Even though I am hopeful every time.

I haven't planned to try no day sleep. There have been times he hasn't had one or he has only had 30 minutes on the car and it still leads to the same wake up. Maybe I'm just gonna be unlucky lol

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Myztiks#1Fan View Post

I'm starting to think it might just be his body clock now. Unfortunately lol
    I am not a good morning person so this is torture lol
    He used to sleep in until 7-730 sometimes 8 and it started getting earlier and earlier.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hasselhoff View Post
    DS is usually ready for his day time nap. He won't nap at childcare. Well for about 20 minutes but even that doesn't stop his early wake up. Even though I am hopeful every time.

I haven't planned to try no day sleep. There have been times he hasn't had one or he has only had 30 minutes on the car and it still leads to the same wake up. Maybe I'm just gonna be unlucky lol
    My DS wakes up at 6.30 by the latest. A handful of times 7. But mostly between 5-6. Does not matter when he gets to bed - which is why I *try* to get him into bed earlier.

Eta. DS used to wake at 4. I am grateful it is now after 5!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by gingermillie View Post
    How dark is his room in the morning? My dd is sensitive to light and sound in the morning as that's when her sleep is lightest. We have blockout blinds and curtains in her room and play white noise and she sleeps til 7:30-8. But I also think kids (like adults) have a natural wake up time so it might be hard to change
    My dd is 18 months and her day nap is 12:15 and I wake her at 3pm no matter what. She then goes to bed at 7pm.
    It was quite light and I thought maybe that was adding to it but I pinned a black sheet over the window and it is quite dark now (he has a ceiling fan on sometimes because he's quite a hot sleeper)
    I'm starting to think it may be a natural wake time how. Which sucks lol.

Maybe I need to cut his day sleep no matter what and see how he goes. Hmm.