+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 18
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    11,866
    Thanks
    7,727
    Thanked
    6,638
    Reviews
    13
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 29/5/15Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week100 Posts in a week

    Default Pumping

    So I'm returning to work soon and would like to hear experiences from others who have returned to work and continued breastfeeding and pumping.

    What was your pumping routine like? How much milk did you provide childcare? Did you keep up your supply? Did Bub feed even more at home/overnight?

    So not ready for this. Sling me some support ladies xx

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    1,153
    Thanks
    526
    Thanked
    596
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I was very nervous about returning to work with DD. she was 7 months old. At first I expressed at 10am & 2pm for 10 min on work days which kept up my supply. She was still feeding first thing in the morning, before bed and sometimes once at night on work days and demand fed when with me. I worked 2 days a week.
    I diligently sent 3 x 150ml bottles of EBM to daycare every work day, but DD hated bottles. She would drink maybe 50ml twice a day at daycare for the first few months then refused completely! We decided that as she was drinking water and eating solids fairly well we wouldn't persist with bottles. She really took to a cup with a straw, which I introduced around 6m. I found she would often have a feed overnight when she'd been away from me all day.

  3. The Following User Says Thank You to rosey82 For This Useful Post:

    Mamasupial  (09-01-2017)

  4. #3
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    605
    Thanks
    24
    Thanked
    144
    Reviews
    3
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I returned to work part time after having both of my kids when they were 4-5 months old (2-3 days a week). I only ever had one break per day to pump but I was lucky to have a great supply so usually got around 250ml. DS would have formula so that took some pressure off as I would do mixed bottles (he didn't like straight formula), but I'd also try to pump first thing in the morning if he had slept more overnight and at the end of the day too so he didn't get flooded with milk. DD however will not touch formula and she also usually hates bottles (that's a whole other story!).
    I freeze milk in 30ml sticks to minimise wastage. Because DD often refuses bottles I only make up 90ml ones but I leave an extra stash in the freezer at her centre in case they need it. Usually though she just makes up for it with a massive feed at the end of the day, and tends to feed more often over the next 24hours.
    Best tip is to make sure you have a good pump - I've had two spectra pumps (I had an s2 but for DD I picked up the portable s9 as I was sick of lugging the s2 to work) and compared to a models I tried they are amazing.

  5. The Following User Says Thank You to misstrouble For This Useful Post:

    Mamasupial  (09-01-2017)

  6. #4
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    1,153
    Thanks
    526
    Thanked
    596
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    ^^ yes I also have a spectra pump - best ever.

  7. #5
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    2,112
    Thanks
    901
    Thanked
    1,076
    Reviews
    2
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    When DS1 went into care and I went to work although it was only a couple of days a week i pumped twice a day at his normal feed times. 12pm and 4pm. Had to use my lunch break and tea break to do it though. I used to get 250mls at each pump.

    Had an avenue back then and I splashed out a month ago and bought the spectra S2 best $240 I've ever spent. Wish I'd known about the brand earlier. I'll bf and pump as long as I can this time round with DS2. I'm already stock piling on rotation in my freezer.

    As for what I packed at daycare. What ever I pumped one day I sent the next and so forth. If he didn't drink the entire bottle it didn't bother me. When I stopped feeding at 8months due to me excessive weight loss I had enough milk in my freezer to keep going for 4 months

  8. The Following User Says Thank You to babybeeno1 For This Useful Post:

    Mamasupial  (09-01-2017)

  9. #6
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Posts
    5,326
    Thanks
    1,016
    Thanked
    3,455
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    DS was just over 10 months whe n I went back to work. I fed on drop off and pick up. I pumped twice a day for a few months then dropped to 1. I eventually dropped pumping and fed on drop off and pick up and on demand on the days we were at home.

  10. The Following User Says Thank You to twinklify For This Useful Post:

    Mamasupial  (09-01-2017)

  11. #7
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    3,517
    Thanks
    4,606
    Thanked
    1,225
    Reviews
    14
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    My kids were both a bit older so I'm not sure if this will be helpful I pumped in the lead up to build up my milk storage so I wouldnt feel pressured. I then gave daycare 2 feeds. Unfortunately DS wouldnt take much. DD was at home with DH between 11 - 14 months and he has some success with a sippy cup.

    Id pump once at work.

    My supply would dip during the days I worked. I worked Tues Wed and Thurs and then on friday I could tell it was lower and then it sort of built back up and I could tell it was better by Monday

    Both of mine wanted to feed as soon as they saw me, even though we had cut out that early evening feed

  12. #8
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    11,866
    Thanks
    7,727
    Thanked
    6,638
    Reviews
    13
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 29/5/15Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by rosey82 View Post
    I was very nervous about returning to work with DD. she was 7 months old. At first I expressed at 10am & 2pm for 10 min on work days which kept up my supply. She was still feeding first thing in the morning, before bed and sometimes once at night on work days and demand fed when with me. I worked 2 days a week.
    I diligently sent 3 x 150ml bottles of EBM to daycare every work day, but DD hated bottles. She would drink maybe 50ml twice a day at daycare for the first few months then refused completely! We decided that as she was drinking water and eating solids fairly well we wouldn't persist with bottles. She really took to a cup with a straw, which I introduced around 6m. I found she would often have a feed overnight when she'd been away from me all day.
    Yea I do t think my Bub will have much since she doesn't take a bottle and we are trying a cup and syringe.
    Quote Originally Posted by misstrouble View Post
    I returned to work part time after having both of my kids when they were 4-5 months old (2-3 days a week). I only ever had one break per day to pump but I was lucky to have a great supply so usually got around 250ml. DS would have formula so that took some pressure off as I would do mixed bottles (he didn't like straight formula), but I'd also try to pump first thing in the morning if he had slept more overnight and at the end of the day too so he didn't get flooded with milk. DD however will not touch formula and she also usually hates bottles (that's a whole other story!).
    I freeze milk in 30ml sticks to minimise wastage. Because DD often refuses bottles I only make up 90ml ones but I leave an extra stash in the freezer at her centre in case they need it. Usually though she just makes up for it with a massive feed at the end of the day, and tends to feed more often over the next 24hours.
    Best tip is to make sure you have a good pump - I've had two spectra pumps (I had an s2 but for DD I picked up the portable s9 as I was sick of lugging the s2 to work) and compared to a models I tried they are amazing.
    Where do you get the 30ml sticks?

    I have a spectra luckily. I really did my research this time.
    Quote Originally Posted by babybeeno1 View Post
    When DS1 went into care and I went to work although it was only a couple of days a week i pumped twice a day at his normal feed times. 12pm and 4pm. Had to use my lunch break and tea break to do it though. I used to get 250mls at each pump.

    Had an avenue back then and I splashed out a month ago and bought the spectra S2 best $240 I've ever spent. Wish I'd known about the brand earlier. I'll bf and pump as long as I can this time round with DS2. I'm already stock piling on rotation in my freezer.

    As for what I packed at daycare. What ever I pumped one day I sent the next and so forth. If he didn't drink the entire bottle it didn't bother me. When I stopped feeding at 8months due to me excessive weight loss I had enough milk in my freezer to keep going for 4 months
    I get a lunch break and a 10min break in the afternoon.
    Quote Originally Posted by twinklify View Post
    DS was just over 10 months whe n I went back to work. I fed on drop off and pick up. I pumped twice a day for a few months then dropped to 1. I eventually dropped pumping and fed on drop off and pick up and on demand on the days we were at home.
    Did your supply drop when you dropped the pumping?

    Bub will be 5 months when I go back.

  13. #9
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    2,112
    Thanks
    901
    Thanked
    1,076
    Reviews
    2
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

    Default Pumping

    Could you take 10mins off your lunch and put it on your tea break to give you more time ?

    Don't let it stress you to much which is easier said then done as I know you had troubles with LB feeding

  14. #10
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    11,866
    Thanks
    7,727
    Thanked
    6,638
    Reviews
    13
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 29/5/15Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by babybeeno1 View Post
    Could you take 10mins off your lunch and put it on your tea break to give you more time ?

    Don't let it stress you to much which is easier said then done as I know you had troubles with LB feeding
    Can't... As that will impact everyone else's breaks and finish times. I tried asking my boss how to go about it and asked what the other expresser does and got told that she doesn't anymore. I'm hoping it was her choice and not lack of support at work..

    The only place to express is the owners office.


 

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 8
    Last Post: 07-04-2016, 15:25
  2. Breast pumping in third trimester
    By MrsMummaButterfly in forum Third Trimester Chat
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 24-03-2016, 19:17
  3. Tips for double pumping please...
    By wobbleyhorse in forum Breastfeeding Support
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 20-02-2016, 17:20

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
FEATURED SUPPORTER
Melbourne Natural Medicine ClinicLeading natural health practitioners in fertility, preconception, pregnancy, and children's health. We take an ...
REVIEWS
"Made bed time less anxious"
by Meld85
My Little Heart Whisbear - the Humming Bear reviews ›
"Wonderful natural Aussie made product!"
by Mrstwr
Baby U Goat Milk Moisturiser reviews ›
"Replaced good quality with cheap tight nappies"
by Kris
Coles Comfy Bots Nappies reviews ›