+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Toddler parenting books/ideas

Ok so after a not so great morning with my 18 month old involving me yelling way too much I'm after some recommendations for toddler parenting (or general parenting) books or philosophies I can look into?
    What I'm struggling with is my dd is very high energy and what I would call 'spirited'. When she's awake she's going and doesn't stop til she's asleep again. She's an only child and we won't be having any more. She goes to childcare 2 days a week when I work. She is generally adorable and sweet and very happy. But I have no idea what I'm doing (again!).
    She climbs everything and does.not.ever.listen to me or DH. She does throw screaming fits sometimes when she can't do what she wants. She HATES me doing the dishes and stands at my legs screaming the whole time (this has been going about 2 months now and it doesn't matter what time of day or what I do to try and distract her she just screams and won't stop).
    I don't know how to deal with the screaming and whingeing and tantrums and I don't know how to 'discipline' her or get her to listen to me. As an example this morning she climbed the chair in her bedroom about 10 times to get on top of her bookshelf. Every time I said 'no standing' but she just keeps doing it again and again til I lose my block and put her out of the room and she screams her head off I also tried putting her on the floor when she climbed but she just gets straight back up. Last night I closed her bedroom door so she couldn't get to the chair and she lost it.
    I'm just looking for something to read so I understand more about where she's coming from developmentally and how I can best help her. Preferably without yelling

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    One book a lot of parents swear by is 1-2-3 Magic.

I bought the book myself, but when it became clear my DS had more going on than just difficult toddler behaviour (ASD), I didn't end up taking that approach.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mod-Degrassi For This Useful Post:

gingermillie  (09-01-2017),mckel  (09-01-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Mod-Degrassi View Post
    One book a lot of parents swear by is 1-2-3 Magic.

I bought the book myself, but when it became clear my DS had more going on than just difficult toddler behaviour (ASD), I didn't end up taking that approach.
    I have heard of that one so I might look into buying it thanks!

harvs is offline Winner 2014 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Winner 2016 - Member you'd most like to meet
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 2/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 19/3/15Busiest Member of the Week200 Posts in a week
    Yep 1-2-3 Magic is so great, and it's simple to follow. It does mean your DH will need to be onboard for consistency. Also anything by Nigel Latta is wonderful.

Keep your chin up lovely x

6. The Following User Says Thank You to harvs For This Useful Post:

gingermillie  (09-01-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    My DS2 is a spirited child and I still struggle with him at 4 - he's just so full on.

At 18 months your ability to discipline is really limited (IMO) to redirection, distraction and persistence.

I would suggested reading

Raising your spirited child by Mary Sheedy Kurcinka

It saved me, not kidding. It helped me understand him better and that helped me be patient - well most of the time, I still struggle.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to binnielici For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Your post could almost be a copy of one I wrote a few years ago... lol

My girl (now almost 7) was exactly the same as this. I reckon I read every book under the sun and I still have no idea what I am doing however it has got better with experience.

I think the two books that helped the most were "raising your spirited child" by Mary Sheedy Kurcinka and "Peaceful Parent, Happy Kids" by Laura Markham.
    Both had some good strategies and actual scenarios that made it easier to work out how to put them into play.

I also ended up getting help from a local parenting group who sent a volunteer parent out to help me brainstorm ideas etc.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to erinn For This Useful Post:

binnielici  (09-01-2017),gingermillie  (09-01-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by harvs View Post
    Yep 1-2-3 Magic is so great, and it's simple to follow. It does mean your DH will need to be onboard for consistency. Also anything by Nigel Latta is wonderful.

Keep your chin up lovely x
    Thanks harvs I hadn't heard of Nigel Latta I'll add that to the list. I'm the kind of person who needs to read a lot when I have a problem and figure out where I sit on the spectrum. I find it really useful just to read different ideas and mull things over.

harvs is offline Winner 2014 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Winner 2016 - Member you'd most like to meet
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 2/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 19/3/15Busiest Member of the Week200 Posts in a week
    Hey I reread your OP more closely, and just wanted to add it's also a good idea to teach her how to do things like climb off chairs/beds etc safely. You can assume she's not going to stop completely 😳, so at least that can relieve some anxiety.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to harvs For This Useful Post:

AdornedWithCats is online now Winner 2013 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Winner 2014 - Best Username

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 12/6/15Funniest Caption400 Posts in a week300 posts in a week
    I read a Pinky McKay book - Toddler Tactics - when ds was that age. And ToddlerCalm by Sarah Ochwell-Smith.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to AdornedWithCats For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Ooooh thanks for all the suggestions everyone!
    I found a note on my phone I wrote ages ago with some book suggestions I picked up from another BH thread, I must have known this was coming for me
    Now I have too many on my list to buy so I'll see if I can get some at the local library and go slowly if anyone has more feedback on any of these that'd be great!
    1. 1-2-3 Magic
    2. The whole brained child by Daniel Siegel
    3. Parenting from the inside out by Daniel Siegel
    4. Parental Guidance Recommended (used to be Children Are People Too) by Louise Porter
    5. Raising your spirited child by Mary Sheedy Kurcinka
    6. Unconditional Parenting by Alfie Kohn
    7. Elevating child care - a guide to respectful parenting by Janet Lansbury
    8. Happiest toddler on the block by Harvey Karp
    9. Politically incorrect parenting by Nigel Latta
    10. Peaceful parent happy kids by Laura Markham
    And two courses I have found:
    1. Parenting by connection (a friend highly recommended this to me)
    2. Talk less, listen more (an online course I think based on 1-2-3 magic?).