ADVERTISEMENT

+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default First Response

Hi everyone,

Has anyone else had an issue with First Response tests giving false positives?

I did a First Response test at 15dpo (one day late) and there was a second line. It was faint, but it was clearly there. I did a second test at 16dpo and could not see the line, but my test this morning at 17dpo showed the faint line again. AF has just started to arrive so I'm clearly not pregnant.

I'm pretty annoyed to say the least especially since I've been TTC for so long, false positives are the last thing I need to deal with.

Are there any other tests people would recommend to avoid this issue in the future?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Mellie29 View Post
    Hi everyone,

Has anyone else had an issue with First Response tests giving false positives?

I did a First Response test at 15dpo (one day late) and there was a second line. It was faint, but it was clearly there. I did a second test at 16dpo and could not see the line, but my test this morning at 17dpo showed the faint line again. AF has just started to arrive so I'm clearly not pregnant.

I'm pretty annoyed to say the least especially since I've been TTC for so long, false positives are the last thing I need to deal with.

Are there any other tests people would recommend to avoid this issue in the future?
    I had a false negative at five weeks with FR, it wasn’t until eight weeks that I found out I was even pg.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to I am Brooke For This Useful Post:

Mellie29  (09-01-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    There are a lot of reviews online saying that they give false positives.

There is also the possibility that being so sensitive, they may pick up a pregnancy which turns into a very early miscarriage which is then assumed to be AF.

Is your luteal phase normally 17 days?

5. The Following User Says Thank You to ivyninja For This Useful Post:

Mellie29  (09-01-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Yes, I had a whole 3 pack that gave faint positives. Went for blood work and it was negative then of course AF showed up 2 weeks late argh. I haven't tried them yet but clear blue are now selling the early detection test, perhaps try them next time?

7. The Following User Says Thank You to BabyG4 For This Useful Post:

Mellie29  (09-01-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    FR are very sensitive so sometimes they can pick up a very early failed pregnancy (chemical pregnancy), so you get the very faint positive but still get your period a day or two late. I've had a FR pick up an hcg level of 8 which I knew as I had a blood test done the same day I got the very faint positive FR. If the faint line came up in the first 10 minutes then this is most likely it, as there needs to be hcg present to trigger that second pink line. Grey lines that turn up after the ten minutes can be evaporative lines rather than false positives. Chemical pregnancies are so common, most women don't even realise they had one, they just get their period a day or two late. It's only because of these very sensitive tests that they are being picked up nowadays.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to EmmaJane75 For This Useful Post:

AdornedWithCats  (09-01-2017),Mellie29  (09-01-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yes I've had several fake positives on FRER. And no I didn't have a chemical pregnancy, because no other brand had a line at the same time. AF started as normal. It was just a faulty test. But in your case since its 2 days in a row it sounds like you might either be pregnant or it's a cp. Can you test with another brand?

11. The Following User Says Thank You to spyrals For This Useful Post:

Mellie29  (09-01-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by ivyninja View Post
    There are a lot of reviews online saying that they give false positives.

There is also the possibility that being so sensitive, they may pick up a pregnancy which turns into a very early miscarriage which is then assumed to be AF.

Is your luteal phase normally 17 days?
    I'm on a medicated cycle for pcos, which means it's fairly constant 30 days on femera or 28 days on clomid. This one has been 34 days. I had a break in October so this is the first medicated cycle back which may have pushed out the lure all phase.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default First Response

Quote Originally Posted by BabyG4 View Post
    Yes, I had a whole 3 pack that gave faint positives. Went for blood work and it was negative then of course AF showed up 2 weeks late argh. I haven't tried them yet but clear blue are now selling the early detection test, perhaps try them next time?
    Quote Originally Posted by EmmaJane75 View Post
    FR are very sensitive so sometimes they can pick up a very early failed pregnancy (chemical pregnancy), so you get the very faint positive but still get your period a day or two late. I've had a FR pick up an hcg level of 8 which I knew as I had a blood test done the same day I got the very faint positive FR. If the faint line came up in the first 10 minutes then this is most likely it, as there needs to be hcg present to trigger that second pink line. Grey lines that turn up after the ten minutes can be evaporative lines rather than false positives. Chemical pregnancies are so common, most women don't even realise they had one, they just get their period a day or two late. It's only because of these very sensitive tests that they are being picked up nowadays.
    Quote Originally Posted by spyrals View Post
    Yes I've had several fake positives on FRER. And no I didn't have a chemical pregnancy, because no other brand had a line at the same time. AF started as normal. It was just a faulty test. But in your case since its 2 days in a row it sounds like you might either be pregnant or it's a cp. Can you test with another brand?
    Thanks for the input, I hate that others have had it too but it's reassuring I'm not the only one.

AF fully arrived this afternoon as foreshadowed this morning

I've read a bit more online today and it seems lots of people get a second line with FR but unless it's pink pink then it's not positive. I'm pretty annoyed that they do that, I'm sure when we first started ttc the FR tests never did that.

I might have to try the clear blue next cycle.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yep. Last month I got a false positive with fr and it's happened to me several times previously as well. If the line doesn't appear within a minute or so, I disregard it. I posted a picture last month of my false positive with fr, the line was definitely there but I knew it was false when I saw it. Not much you can do really I don't think. Some fr tests have it and others don't.

Thanks
    Reviews
    nah, my line was very pink, and came up in the 3 minutes.my husband saw it as well. here it is. this happened twice, different boxes, 6 months apart.. frer's can be stupid just like any other brand. i think i've had evaps/fake lines on every single brand!

FRER2.jpg