+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Dummy removal!

So we took DS1's dummy away after Christmas. He will be 3 in April. We did the whole dummy fairy thing and he seemed ok with it. Ever since he has been waking multiple times a night! He is not asking for the dummy but just wants comfort I think. I'm 7 months pregnant and the lack of sleep is killing me. Anyone had much experience with this?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 29/5/15Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week100 Posts in a week
    We ditched the dummy on Thursday. No fairy src, just a chat about how she's a big girl and different things she can do to make herself feel happy.

She doesn't sleep through so it hasn't changed her sleep.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    We are about to embark on the same journey with our 3-year-old. He LOVES his dummy, and is only allowed to have it for resting but will sometimes go lie down on his bed during the day to 'have a fix'.
    There are a few ideas in this thread -

Ditching the dummy, WWYD
    http://www.bubhub.com.au/community/f...d.php?t=558006

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Minniemin For This Useful Post:

Mamasupial  (09-01-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have a 29 month old girl and was also wondering when it was time to say goodbye to the dummy. She loves it.. But is only allowed it for naps and overnight now. She is a great sleeper.. So def don't want to change that so will leave for a while longer.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    We did it at Christmas & DD (2y & 3m) she is sleeping so much better at night (I was getting up to her at least 3 times a week), I think it was almost waking her up... but the problem we have found is that she screams herself to sleep if she isn't really really tired, she used to use it to settle, sometimes it took an hour but there was no crying... last night she was totally fine, but that was the first night in over 3 weeks, we've had a couple of only 5 mins of whinging but other than that it's been at least 20 mins!! She is just so strong willed!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I took the dummy from DD1 about a month before she turned 3. She was down to her last dummy, and I made sure she knew that once that one was gone, there would be no more dummies. As soon as a little crack appeared in the side of it, I ripped the teat part off, showed her that it was broken and got her to put it in the bin.
    She got a little cat toy from the shops to hold in bed if she missed her dummy, and I let her take it out & about to show people so she could tell them that she was a big girl and didn't have a dummy anymore. If she asked about it, I reminded her that it was in the bin and she had her new kitty toy now.
    She had her rabbit comfort toy anyway, so she lost interest in the kitty toy after a week or so. I didn't let her nap for the first couple of days so she would be quite tired and settle easier at night time, and it only took once or twice just sitting with her/stroking her hair until she fell asleep before she forgot all about the dummy.
    Which was lucky, because DD2 still has dummies and I was worried she'd steal them or get jealous, but she's been really good about it.