ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by BabyG4 View Post
    @Mod-Uniquey funny how out of our 4 daughters it's our second that are both hairy lol. Wish DD2 would get over it. DD1 won't need to be waxed for years yet, phew. I remember grabbing a razor and shaving without my parents permission in primary school, I'm trying to avoid that from happening here..
    I know right, unbelievable! And go on, tell me your DD2's first name starts with M.
    And both your DD1 and mine have hairless arms/legs....are you me?! Lol

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Mod-Uniquey For This Useful Post:

BabyG4  (09-01-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    If it was something my child really wanted i would listen and speak to them about the pros and cons (especially the cons, eg the pain, hair growing back darker...) and i would really be saying its not the best idea but at the end of the day if its something they reslly want/need and it's bothering them (maybe being teased) I would let it happen but not without discussing things first...
    My girls are almost 10 and 12 (13 end of this year) and haven't asked to shave or wax yet...

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Unschooling4 For This Useful Post:

BabyG4  (09-01-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    My DD first shaved her legs at about 11.5 (unknown to me the first time!!!)...She now shaves or waxes regularly at 13.5...she spends many hours in a leotard for training and, unfortunately for her, really does need to bikini wax. Once she is fully through puberty we will go down the IPL route. I could not imagine not letting her shave or wax....she doesn't care much if her legs are spikey/hairy but would feel very self concious if she had very hairy armpits or bikini line.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Kaybaby For This Useful Post:

BabyG4  (09-01-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    DD started getting waxed at 12. It was that or she would have shaved them herself.
    I really don't have advice it's so hard when they are that young.
    I would try to hold off maybe a little longer.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Janesmum123 For This Useful Post:

BabyG4  (09-01-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    There doesn't seem to be any issues with being teased, she is a confident girl with lots of friends so this seems to just be her that wants to do it. She does spend most of her time in training gear so leotard or crop and bike shorts, perhaps she notices more and more when the other kids don't have as much hair as her?
    @AmyEL DH and I have discussed getting the girls IPL later on once puberty has hit. We actually would prefer to hang out until this stage, doesn't look like that will happen though.
    @Mod-Uniquey we missed out by 1 letter. She starts with an L. And yep DD1 is hairless all over, phew. Swear she won't be growing hair for years to come!

Thanks for everyone's input, it's great to see the difference everyone has and your opinions. I honestly do hope I can hold her out but I will cave if she does get upset over it.

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to BabyG4 For This Useful Post:

A-Squared  (09-01-2017),AmyEL  (09-01-2017),babyno1onboard  (09-01-2017),Mod-Uniquey  (09-01-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews

Default What age to wax a child's legs?

For my girls I wouldn't think I would allow it until the start of high school at the absolute earliest. So 12.

My girls are blond, I am very dark and I had no need or interest to shave/wax until 12-13.

I think my biggest issue will be allowing the eldest when the time comes and not her younger sister, she won't be impressed lol

Saying that, I don't let mine wear bikinis etc either. I want to give my girls the chance to be children. I want them to love themselves, their bodies and just for being them.

I know there will be pressures from peers but as parents we set boundaries for our children for reasons.

Each to their own for sure. I'd have no issue with someone else allowing their child to shave or wax younger, just not for mine.
    Last edited by 1CrazyMoose; 09-01-2017 at 09:26.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to 1CrazyMoose For This Useful Post:

BabyG4  (09-01-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    It is hard to say. For me, it is best to do what is right for your DD.

My DD is 12 and is going off to high school this year. She started shaving her armpits about half way through last year and shaved her legs first week of the Christmas holidays. If she ever wants to wax I will try and organise that for her.

I wasn't going to say no, I didn't want her going off and doing it behind my back. I shaved for the first time when I was in year 6 and did it behind my mothers back. Because I didn't know any better I dry shaved....Ouch!!

14. The Following User Says Thank You to PomPoms For This Useful Post:

BabyG4  (10-01-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by 1CrazyMoose View Post
    For my girls I wouldn't think I would allow it until the start of high school at the absolute earliest. So 12.

My girls are blond, I am very dark and I had no need or interest to shave/wax until 12-13.

I think my biggest issue will be allowing the eldest when the time comes and not her younger sister, she won't be impressed lol

Saying that, I don't let mine wear bikinis etc either. I want to give my girls the chance to be children. I want them to love themselves, their bodies and just for being them.

I know there will be pressures from peers but as parents we set boundaries for our children for reasons.

Each to their own for sure. I'd have no issue with someone else allowing their child to shave or wax younger, just not for mine.
    Even in a modest one - piece swimsuit or leotard most 12yo girls who are undergoing/through puberty would feel uncomfortable around their peers if they had pubic hair or long underarm hair on show (as would most adults) I'm a bit sad that my DD has had to begin hair removal early but I would rather that than have her feel self concious at the beach with her friends.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Kaybaby For This Useful Post:

BabyG4  (10-01-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I will let mine when they ask..After a discussion of course about why.. if they ask it has probably already been brought up at school.. my mum never really said I could.. although I shaved underarms.. I got teased at school one day and came home and did it myself. . I will in no way encourage it.. but if something so simple can save them from the bullies I won't mind. Kids can be cruel. I would probably go with something like veet to start with

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Mummy12 For This Useful Post:

BabyG4  (10-01-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews

Default What age to wax a child's legs?

I did the exact same thing @PomPoms with dry shaving, had some nice scratches too. Also remember pulling the skin up on my shin, that hurt like crazy.. I think I started in year 5 or 6, I wasn't hairy but I was a swimmer and all the girls were doing it. Had I have asked my mum, I'm sure she would have said yes.

Sorry that you both had a tough time @Kaybaby and @Mummy12 , kids can really be cruel sometimes! I also agree, if something as simple as shaving can discourage bullying than I'm all for it!
    Just to add, DD2 definitely isn't being bullied, she just seems more bodily aware. I'm ok with that! I've also decided, if she asks again and really really wants to remove her leg hairs, I will support her.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to BabyG4 For This Useful Post:

PomPoms  (10-01-2017)