ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    DSS1 started talking about his hairy arms and wanting to shave them when he was about 8. No idea where it came from but DF, DSS2 and I all have hairless arms so maybe he just felt like it was odd or something. We just told him not to worry about it and after a few months that he stopped mentioning it. If he really was upset about it and it was causing him a lot of distress then I wouldn't see any issue with letting him shave.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to babyno1onboard For This Useful Post:

BabyG4  (08-01-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I don't think it's a case of kids these days growing up early. When I was a kid, most of my class were shaving their legs by grade 4 - myself included. I think I was 9, maybe 10. Those kids who werent shaving yet were teased relentlessly. I remember kids saying they werent allowed to shave until highschool, & it was awful hoe much they were teased, for years. It was the 'done' thing to shave your legs. I hope my child doesnt have the same peer pressure at her school - but I think when she started asking of her own accord, I would consider it.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to cheeeeesecake For This Useful Post:

BabyG4  (08-01-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    Given the hair is blonde, I'd say high school. I think it's a balancing act between wanting to teach them they are perfect the way they are, and recognising when they are being teased or when they get a say over their own body.

At 8 with blonde hair, my answer would be no with a discussion about how they aren't noticeable and she is lovely just as she is. if the hair was black and noticeable (I know women with Mediterranean decent complain of black body hair that is embarrassing) and she was being teased.... I'd probably grudgingly agree.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to delirium For This Useful Post:

BabyG4  (08-01-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I also find this one a difficult balance between recognising it's her body, and respecting her bodily autonomy and allowing her control over things that bother her - and not wanting her to be overly focussed on external beauty and needing to 'alter' herself to meet expectations in society. It's a tough one.

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to cheeeeesecake For This Useful Post:

babyno1onboard  (08-01-2017),CazHazKidz  (11-01-2017),Redcorset  (09-01-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews

Default What age to wax a child's legs?

Completely agree @cheeeeesecake this is what my major issue is. I want her to decide that it's her body and her choice BUT I don't want her to focus on the things that aren't important either, which to me is blonde hairy legs at 8. I also don't want to shrug off her 'issues' at a young age where she thinks she may not be able to come to me over certain things later on. It really is a tough call!

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BabyG4 For This Useful Post:

binnielici  (09-01-2017),cheeeeesecake  (08-01-2017),VicPark  (08-01-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    As someone who was mercilessly picked on in school for a lot of things I couldn't control, if my dd was self conscious about her leg hair I'd most likely let her remove it when she asked. I wasn't allowed to shave my legs until I was in highschool and I really hated my leg hair.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to PipersMummy For This Useful Post:

BabyG4  (08-01-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have always been hairy. I remember being embarassed by my leg hair from about age 9/10 (although mine was dark hair), to the point I always wore pants, even throughout summer.

My mum eventually gave in, but made me wax not shave. This drove me nuts because within 1.5-2 weeks of waxing the hair would start growing back and I would be back in pants again. I didn't shave my legs until I was out of high school and would never go back to waxing.

I have two daughters with dark hair and imagine as they get older they will have hairy legs like me. I will let them shave the first time they ask me. I remember how it felt to be embarrassed/teased and do not want them to have to go through that.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to 2giraffes For This Useful Post:

BabyG4  (09-01-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'll be paying for IPL for my DD when she's a teenager if hers is anything like mine!! I was (still am in places) so hairy & dark black hair, plus my skin is is white!! I got IPL when I could afford it (before kids!) and I tell you for someone that was so hairy that I couldn't go to the beach or pools on a whim cause the hair removal took forever & needed to be planned it was life changing! Now I can happily go a week or more without shaving my legs!

If she's self conscious about it I'd get her waxing, girls have so much body image pressure on them unfortunately it's everywhere they turn, if she keeps up a waxing routine not it will help slow the growth, my Mum waxed religiously & despite being extremely hairy she has next to no hair, I wish I did this from the start instead of shaving but I have no patience & couldn't deal with the re-growing stage, hence spending a fortune on IPL as you need to shave just before the treatment.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to AmyEL For This Useful Post:

BabyG4  (09-01-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    For me personally 8 is too young. My dd is 7 and there is no way that is just around our corner!!

I think positive reinforcement about how natural a hairy body is, is important!

I would try and get to the cause of why she is interested in this has someone said something? Is she looking to older girls.. and go from their directing the conversation to the reason why..

I am all for my dd exploring individuality and making her own decisions but I fell shaving is a big responsibility and 8 is too young to maintain the decision, the hair will never grown back as fine and blonde!

18. The Following User Says Thank You to MrsBizMa For This Useful Post:

BabyG4  (09-01-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    My hairs are blonde but very long.
    I wasn't allowed till high school.

And I'd never veet, mum would shave my legs for me until I got older and started waxing.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to misho For This Useful Post:

BabyG4  (09-01-2017)