ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT

+ Reply to Thread
Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4121314
Results 131 to 137 of 137
  1. #131
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    5,351
    Thanks
    5,339
    Thanked
    5,128
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by sparklebug View Post
    @A-Squared I absolutely agree we have the right to an opinion, which isn't the same as being judgemental.
    For example I have friend who parents her children way different to me, one example is the way my friend disciplines her children, it makes no sense to me, if I felt the children we being abused I would say something, however that isn't the case, so I don't comment it at all, she has a few times asked my opinion, then I will give it. My opinion is that her methods are ineffective, I don't consider this judging, it's my opinion, I support her even though I absolutely do not agree with her, to me being judgemental would mean being critical of her.
    We all have opinions, I consider myself a feminist, so of course I consider it important that women have the right to voice these opinions. There is a difference when it becomes judgmental, critical, mean, it stops being constructive. If it's ineffective and only results in someone feeling inferior/hurt/sad, I think it's wrong and counterproductive.
    I guess being "judgemental" has a negative connotation, I don't think we should not have opinions, I just think women should be kinder to each other, when we complain about the standards society sets for us- that's us, we're society.
    Very well put and agree with all of this.

  2. The Following User Says Thank You to HollyGolightly81 For This Useful Post:

    sparklebug  (08-01-2017)

  3. #132
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    8,395
    Thanks
    5,946
    Thanked
    4,955
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/4/15100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by sparklebug View Post
    @A-Squared I absolutely agree we have the right to an opinion, which isn't the same as being judgemental.
    For example I have friend who parents her children way different to me, one example is the way my friend disciplines her children, it makes no sense to me, if I felt the children we being abused I would say something, however that isn't the case, so I don't comment it at all, she has a few times asked my opinion, then I will give it. My opinion is that her methods are ineffective, I don't consider this judging, it's my opinion, I support her even though I absolutely do not agree with her, to me being judgemental would mean being critical of her.
    We all have opinions, I consider myself a feminist, so of course I consider it important that women have the right to voice these opinions. There is a difference when it becomes judgmental, critical, mean, it stops being constructive. If it's ineffective and only results in someone feeling inferior/hurt/sad, I think it's wrong and counterproductive.
    I guess being "judgemental" has a negative connotation, I don't think we should not have opinions, I just think women should be kinder to each other, when we complain about the standards society sets for us- that's us, we're society.
    Seems like we are singing from the same hymn sheet then.

  4. The Following User Says Thank You to A-Squared For This Useful Post:

    sparklebug  (08-01-2017)

  5. #133
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    13,064
    Thanks
    9,846
    Thanked
    12,967
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week

    Default *trigger warning* Kayla Boyd miscarriage & termination

    Quote Originally Posted by HollyGolightly81 View Post
    But with abortion, one 'side' is the woman, her body, her family, her life, etc. and the other 'side' are people who have absolutely nothing to do with the situation but believe they deserve a say in her decision. This discussion hasn't been about the parameters of regulation or even abortion in general, it's been about judging and analyzing a specific woman's decision which really everyone knows very little about.
    You're missing my point. I think this is more than just about the woman and her family. There is an embryo/fetus/baby (whatever folks want to call it) involved and I believe it is a human/human rights issue that strikes at the core of our society. I am not saying women should have most of the choice factor taken away. I am just saying I believe it is healthy for society to have a discussion on reasons for abortion to make sure regulations are at least in step with the values that are fundamental to our society. Not specifically relating to abortion I believe how we allow the most vulnerable in society to be treated is everyone's business and it's everyone's responsibility to make sure we get 'it' right. As part of that I have no problem with society analyzing and judging the reasons for someone who publicly puts their abortion story out there. If people are judging based on half the story then that's on the author for only telling half the story with such an important sensitive issue.
    Last edited by VicPark; 08-01-2017 at 17:50.

  6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to VicPark For This Useful Post:

    babyno1onboard  (08-01-2017),Hopeful37  (08-01-2017)

  7. #134
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Posts
    3,847
    Thanks
    5,516
    Thanked
    3,231
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    You're missing my point. I think this is more than just about the woman and her family. There is an embryo/fetus/baby (whatever folks want to call it) involved and I believe it is a human/human rights issue that strikes at the core of our society. I am not saying women should have most of the choice factor taken away. I am just saying I believe it is healthy for society to have a discussion on reasons for abortion to make sure regulations are at least in step with the values that are fundamental to our society. Not specifically relating to abortion I believe how we allow the most vulnerable in society to be treated is everyone's business and it's everyone's responsibility to make sure we get 'it' right. As part of that I have no problem with society analyzing and judging the reasons for someone who publicly puts their abortion story out there. If people are judging based on half the story then that's on the author for only telling half the story with such an important sensitive issue.
    Very well put. It's not just about the rights of the mother, it's also about the rights of the unborn child. Who is a advocating for that child if only the mother is allowed an opinion?

  8. #135
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    1,025
    Thanks
    242
    Thanked
    392
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by A-Squared View Post
    Seems like we are singing from the same hymn sheet then.
    I think so!

  9. #136
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    13,064
    Thanks
    9,846
    Thanked
    12,967
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by sparklebug View Post
    I think so!
    The question is are you both off or in key?


  10. #137
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Posts
    1,042
    Thanks
    835
    Thanked
    593
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    You're missing my point. I think this is more than just about the woman and her family. There is an embryo/fetus/baby (whatever folks want to call it) involved and I believe it is a human/human rights issue that strikes at the core of our society. I am not saying women should have most of the choice factor taken away. I am just saying I believe it is healthy for society to have a discussion on reasons for abortion to make sure regulations are at least in step with the values that are fundamental to our society. Not specifically relating to abortion I believe how we allow the most vulnerable in society to be treated is everyone's business and it's everyone's responsibility to make sure we get 'it' right. As part of that I have no problem with society analyzing and judging the reasons for someone who publicly puts their abortion story out there. If people are judging based on half the story then that's on the author for only telling half the story with such an important sensitive issue.
    Well said!


 

Similar Threads

  1. TRIGGER: possible miscarriage and maybe TMI
    By TheGooch in forum Pregnancy Loss Support
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 30-12-2016, 02:24
  2. A maybe trigger warning. Just debriefing.
    By Ahalfdozen in forum Dealing with anger
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 11-04-2016, 09:02

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT

FEATURED SUPPORTER
SoftmatsSoftmats specialises in safe, non-toxic, and durable play mats. The international Premium Dwingulerâ„¢ Play Mats and ...
FORUMS - chatting now ...
DheaIVF
Optimistic OctoberConception & Fertility General Chat
7 seater SUV for two capsules and car seat!General Parenting Tips, Advice & Chat
Help with private health insurancePregnancy & Birth General Chat
Gift ideasGeneral Chat
REVIEWS
"Made bed time less anxious"
by Meld85
My Little Heart Whisbear - the Humming Bear reviews ›
"Wonderful natural Aussie made product!"
by Mrstwr
Baby U Goat Milk Moisturiser reviews ›
"Replaced good quality with cheap tight nappies"
by Kris
Coles Comfy Bots Nappies reviews ›

ADVERTISEMENT