ADVERTISEMENT

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Maternal assisted caesareans

So, I read about maternal assisted caesareans today for the first time, and it kind of blew my mind. Maybe I've been living under a rock, but I'd never heard about this before. Essentially, it's a caesarean where the mother is allowed to reach down, after the doctor has brought the baby's head and shoulders out of the incision, and pull the baby the rest of the way out herself by grabbing the baby under the arms.

If you were having a caesarean, would you do it? I think I would be too scared and overwhelmed, but it is kind of awesome too!

Here's an article about it, if you're interested:

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-08-2...by-boy/7776654

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Oh gosh, dont think i could do it. Not that i wouldnt want to, but i dont have a strong gut at the best of times. I felt very giddy just getting the spinal taps so think that would finish me. It is an awesome idea though and i think there will be woman that are keen on the concept. Fwiw I was quite numb with my c sections..as in i couldnt move much at all so even if i wasnt squeemish, physically i dont think i would of been able to do so.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I am done having babies but I have heard of this before.

To me it is like a mother catching a baby in a VB. Just from a different part of the body. The only thing that would make me a bit eeeky is seeing the op but I assume it is aomewhat shielded.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I personally wouldn't do it. My hesitation with it is that a caesarean is a major operation and usually there is a reason for having a caesarean. If it's in a truly elective/controlled environment during a low risk pregnancy then I'm not quite as hesitant with it, but in the case of a true medical indication for it (placenta praevia, pre-eclampsia, pre term birth etc) I am a lot more against it. Each to their own though. Provided the mum is taught to scrub and how to keep as sterile as possible to reduce risk of infection. That would be my major concern, infection risk!

I have heard it referred to as a "natural" caesarean by women choosing to have an elective CS for no other reason than the convenience of a booked time/date. I kinda question this as if you're wanting a "natural" birth experience (delivering own baby, delayed cord clamping, immediate skin to skin etc) then I find the choice of a CS to be contradictory to this. I know this is in the minority, but I just don't get it.

(I am not against maternal assisted delivery during a vaginal birth, delayed cord clamping, direct skin to skin etc just using them as an example).

Thanks
    Reviews
    I've had a c-section and no way would I do this. I don't know how you would physically be able to lift yourself up to do it and it would be quite uncomfortable and protracted I imagine. I was very happy for my ob to do that job and pass bub over.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to gingermillie For This Useful Post:

Lauzy  (06-01-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Having had the c-sec 6 months ago there is no way in hell I'd even consider this. To many what if'a could happen. The first one that comes to mind is infection. Yeah no thanks. I remember when my ob pulled DS2 out I was allowed to touch him but I also had to be careful to not touch my ob because of the risk of infection. I how on earth anyone would have the strength to even try and pull their baby out like this. My body was in shock to the point I was being held down

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oh hell no. I'd be worried I'd drop my baby or something.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I was having too much trouble just breathing because of my spinal to be able to do anything like that. Also got the shakes very badly. But if someone feels like they can do it and they have been scrubbed in properly why not.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have never had a c section but if I could lift my baby out I definitely would!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by gingermillie View Post
    I've had a c-section and no way would I do this. I don't know how you would physically be able to lift yourself up to do it and it would be quite uncomfortable and protracted I imagine. I was very happy for my ob to do that job and pass bub over.
    That's what I was thinking. I don't know how you'd physically be able to do it. There's no way I could have lifted myself and reached my belly during my c-section. I sure as hell wouldn't have wanted to anyway, but seeing my own stomach cut open on the operating table isn't exactly in my top 10 things to do list.