+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Help me set a routine

Hi BHers

I'm looking for help to set a routine for my 10mo who I think needs a little more structure.

I'm finding DD often refusing food for boobs instead or will seek a BF before she's willing to eat food. Not sure if it's a phase or she's a booby monster but she just wants them all the time. Hoping a routine will ensure she eats better & I have something to follow.

I tend to fly by the seat of my pants as a parent & most of my attention is given to DD1 but her days are roughly:

Up at 6.30
    BF
    Brekkie
    Nap 2hrs after waking (or when're she can if we are out & about). BF to sleep. Sleeps approx 40mins
    Lunch
    Nap approx 1pm. BF to sleep. Sleeps approx 1hr
    Dinner
    Bed 8.30
    Wakes during night for feeds & co-sleeps.

I do provide snacks in between meals but just when I think she's grizzly. I don't consciously sit her down for mornIng or afternoon tea but thinking I should? Diet is fairly healthy. There are also additional BFs that I don't really keep track of.

TIA.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I am by no means a routine guru so take my advice with a grain of salt!
    My first thought is she doesn't seem to sleep much and maybe tweaking your sleeping and feeding routine might (or not) help that?
    At 10ish months my dd's day looked like this:
    7:30 wake and BF
    8-8:30 breakfast
    10:30 nap - 12
    12:30 lunch
    2:30/3-4:30 nap (BF before)
    5pm dinner
    6pm shower
    7-7:30pm bed (BF before)
    Overnight feeds stopped around 10 months.
    I'd push the morning nap out by an hour and perhaps bub will be tired enough to sleep longer than 40 minutes?
    I didn't really do proper snacks til dd went to 1 nap but she always had access to crackers or bits of fruit. I just felt there wasn't enough time or she'd be eating/BF all day and doing nothing else!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to gingermillie For This Useful Post:

YeahYeahYeah  (05-01-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Is it a problem for you, or is it about what you think she 'should' be doing?

Milk is still her primary source of nutrition, and most recommendations suggest offering milk before food up until 12 months.

My 19 month old asks for boob all day most days. Some days he eats heaps, some days he eats next to nothing.

As for a routine, it really depends what works for your family. I've always done 3 meals and 1 snack (afternoon) with my kids. They have a pretty early lunch, but that may not be what works for you.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Renn For This Useful Post:

AdornedWithCats is offline Winner 2013 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Winner 2014 - Best Username

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 12/6/15Funniest Caption400 Posts in a week300 posts in a week
    To me it sounds like you have a pretty good routine already (much better than I had with ds at that age). Does she drink any water? If it's any reassurance my ds didn't eat more than a couple of bites a day until after 12 months. He's been a great eater since 16 months.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to AdornedWithCats For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    When DS1 was that age his routine was the following

7 wake up
    BF

8am
    Brekkie @ daycare

Snack

10-12
    Nap

Lunch

2-330
    Nap

Snack

I picked up

Bath

Dinner

Bottle, Book & Bed

DS2 who is 6months finally has the following routing going

6am
    BF
    Wake up

7am
    Brekkie

830 - 10
    Nap

BF

Lunch

1230 - 230
    Nap

BF

4-5
    Nap (if I'm lucky)

BF

Dinner

Bath, Book, Bed

Sleepy time- sometimes earlier

It's taken a long time to get this routing going with a lot of tears and exhaustion from me

If he wakes during the night depending on the time he get a small boob bottle or a bf.

Ds1 was sleeping 7 to 7 by the 3 month mark so no overnight feeds at all. DS2 is sleeping 7 to 6 at night and wakes in the middle every few days

It seems like dd isn't get enough rest during the day and going to bed quite late at night still. Well I would consider 830 for a 10 month old.

Is there anything that is stimulating her to make her not want to sleep? How much is she getting for her 3 meals during the day ?

9. The Following User Says Thank You to babybeeno1 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/4/15100 Posts in a week

Default Help me set a routine

Just to clarify, I assume you want to set a schedule as opposed to a routine?

Assuming this is the case at 10 months I would try pushing out her first nap to 3 hours after waking.

So wake 6:30
    BF straight away
    8:30 breakfast
    9:30 nap (with or without top up feed)
    11:00 wake
    BF straight away
    12:00 lunch
    2:15 nap (with or without top up feed)
    4:00 wake her up if she's still asleep
    BF straight away
    4:45snack (fruit or yoghurt)
    5:45 dinner
    6:30 start night time routine with top up feed
    7:00 start sleep routine (or leave Bub to self settle).

I think 3 hour awake times is suitable for most 10 month olds and never let Bub over sleep as it throws out the schedule, if you do want to establish a schedule, don't be afraid to wake Bub up.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to A-Squared For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks very much for responses. A few things have spurred the Q:

1) I don't feel like I'm doing 'enough' for her as DD1 takes 95% of my attention so DD2 just gets the essentials (or not even!).

2) I'm getting a bit fed up by the constant booby cravings.

3) I feel like I'm trying to feed her a variety of different things at different times to no avail.

DD1 is a small eater & it took me a long time to understand & accept her pattern. Another small eater won't come as a surprise but I'm worried all the boobing will be impacting DD2s food consumption?

I don't think she sleeps enough overall & feel like I need to improve this for her. However DD1 slept very little during the day (but slept like a log at night) so that's probably why I haven't been surprised by it or concerned if her sleeps get cut off.

She will often crash out late arvo near to dinner time. So thinking shuffling all naps or attempting to lengthen them will help.

Sometimes she's not eating dinner until 7.30! I noticed how much earlier everyone else's dinner times are, I definitely need to improve this.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Renn View Post
    Is it a problem for you, or is it about what you think she 'should' be doing?.
    Completely agree with your sentiment. I think it's more about what I think I 'should' be doing. I.e. approaching mealtimes more proactively (routinely) and allowing better opportunities for sleep rather than just assuming the 20mins she grabbed in the car is enough etc.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I immediately thought your bub was not getting enough sleep during the day too. My 2.5 yr old sleeps more thAn this during the day. We have dinner at 5pm.. My toddler is waiting at the table at this time.. Even after doing morning n afternoon snacks. Good luck!

15. The Following User Says Thank You to kylie764 For This Useful Post:

VicPark  (06-01-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by YeahYeahYeah View Post
    Hi BHers

I'm looking for help to set a routine for my 10mo who I think needs a little more structure.

I'm finding DD often refusing food for boobs instead or will seek a BF before she's willing to eat food. Not sure if it's a phase or she's a booby monster but she just wants them all the time. Hoping a routine will ensure she eats better & I have something to follow.

I tend to fly by the seat of my pants as a parent & most of my attention is given to DD1 but her days are roughly:

Up at 6.30
    BF
    Brekkie
    Nap 2hrs after waking (or when're she can if we are out & about). BF to sleep. Sleeps approx 40mins
    Lunch
    Nap approx 1pm. BF to sleep. Sleeps approx 1hr
    Dinner
    Bed 8.30
    Wakes during night for feeds & co-sleeps.

I do provide snacks in between meals but just when I think she's grizzly. I don't consciously sit her down for mornIng or afternoon tea but thinking I should? Diet is fairly healthy. There are also additional BFs that I don't really keep track of.

TIA.
    Hi there. At 10 months I don't believe food is just for fun. It's needed for sustenance and a lack of food at that age can lead to inadequate sleep and an unsettled bub and tired mum (at 10 months I would be aiming for 2 large day naps (1.5-2 hours) and 12 hours at night. 40 minute naps can be a sign bub is not tired enough, hungry, cold, not in a stable sleep environment etc.

I noticed a few things about the current schedule:
    - bub has a lot of booby feeds which is likely reducing solid intake. While changes to routine may help this, reducing bubs reliance on boob to sleep may also help. Does bub have a comforter? Happy to help with other tips for settling if needed.
    - first nap is far too early - try stretching out closer to 3 hours. This may help bub sleep longer than 40 minutes and may help bub not need to be boobed to sleep.
    - 6.5 hours between waking from arvo nap and bed is too long. It could lead to bub being overtired and waking through the night. Aim for 3-4 hours.
    - can you try resettling at night the first time bub wakes? (As opposed to feeding?) then feed if bub wakes again?

Here is a sample routine for a 10 month old. Not saying you need to follow it to a tee however it may be useful for timings etc.

- 7am wake and full boob feed
    - 8am brekky
    - 9:50am sleep
    - 1/2 Boob feed when wakes
    - lunch 1 hour after boob
    - sleep 3 hours after waking
    - 1/2 boob feed when wakes (don't let bub sleep past 4:15)
    - 5pm dinner
    -6pm bath
    -6:30pm full milk feed
    -7pm put bub to bed fully awake

Good luck!

17. The Following User Says Thank You to VicPark For This Useful Post:

YeahYeahYeah  (06-01-2017)