ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT

+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Help!

So, I am currently not enjoying BF at all and need some suggestions/advice.

DD has always been a little pinchy and scratchy when feeding. She did stop for a bit. It is now pretty bad.

My chest is covered in little scabs from pinching/scratching. She also tends to like grabbing my collarbone when particularly upset. It seems to calm her down as I feel her body relax when she can do it. Cutting nails helps scratching but not pinching.

If I hold her hand/remove her hand/give her anything to hold she then proceeds to bite and scream (she has a decent angry cry/scream that she uses already!) until she can continue doing it.

Is there anything someone can suggest? Note I live in Brisbane so turtlenecks will be a little hot lol.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Have you tried one of those breastfeeding/teething friendly necklaces? Have attached a picture for you. IMG_1483610371.842989.jpg

AdornedWithCats is online now Winner 2013 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Winner 2014 - Best Username

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 12/6/15Funniest Caption400 Posts in a week300 posts in a week
    I've gone through phases of not enjoying bfing but fortunately they were brief for me. I'd suggest you cut her nails short and stop her pinching. If she bites stop feeding immediately and say ouch/that hurt or words to that affect. Then wait a couple of mins before resuming.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to AdornedWithCats For This Useful Post:

VicPark  (06-01-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I hated breastfeeding with both my kids. I lasted until 7 months with dd and I've already started weaning ds and he is just over 5 months. How old is your dd? Maybe you could wean onto formula?

Thanks
    Reviews
    @BabyG4 - you reminded me that I have one in the car. I'll grab it tomorrow and try it as she likes chewing on it.
    @AdornedWithCats - I am so used to DS who used BF as comfort for everything so he was usually fairly gentle. DD uses it for food. And gets cranky if food goes away and gives an angry grunt or shriek. I think she is teething her two top teeth so is chomping more than usual due to that.
    @Mona424 - she won't drink from a bottle. And I want to try and BF for at least 6 months after she starts childcare to help with sickness. I am trying to do formula feeds here and there though.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to twinklify For This Useful Post:

BabyG4  (05-01-2017),Mona424  (06-01-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Following as my DD is very similar. But also scratches at moles. It's awful.

Thanks
    Reviews
    So used my necklace today. It distracted her a little. She did try and chew it and drink at the same time lol.

I might just have to use various things to change it up though to keep her interest.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to twinklify For This Useful Post:

BabyG4  (07-01-2017)

SuperGranny is offline Worlds best grandma! Winner 2012 - Most Helpful Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    would some mittens or some covering for her hands help with the scratching and pinching. ?? marie.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    My DD is 12 months old and for the last few months she has been scratching at my neck and pulling my hair while feeding - it seems to be a comfort thing for her too but it's incredibly painful. Sometimes using a necklace helps and pinning her arm between us or holding her hand. At night when we put on the aircon I cover her hands which has been the best solution but not practical during hot days (I'm in Brisbane). Sometimes firmly saying stop and pulling her off helps too.