Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default To elective c-section or not

Double post

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Thanks ladies. No possibility of changing hospitals - the next closest that does maternity is 1.5 hours away. And I'm public, so the dr thing is hard. I did wonder what would happen if I outright refused an instrumental and said I wanted a c-section. It just makes sense to me to know that going in so that they can put all relevant measures in place to make sure things go as smoothly as possible.

I don't completely object to a c-section. I just don't want to have a massive recovery that's potentially not necessary, and a long hospital stay away from DS and DH. The hospital visiting hours are really strict, and don't align well with DS's nap/bedtime routine times either.

Thanks
    Reviews
    The issue with a c section after attempting a vaginal delivery is that the baby will likely already be fully engaged and in the birth canal so they can't just push them back up into a good position for the c section which is why they insist on trying instrumental delivery first in that situation. I also had a traumatic first birth resulting in forceps delivery as it was too late for a c section unless it was literally the last option left as its not ideal when the baby is too far down, so this time I have no hesitation in having an elective c-section and avoiding all the complications afterwards (I too had lots of back problems for 2 years after the birth).

4. The Following User Says Thank You to bubbles21 For This Useful Post:

Tiny Dancer  (12-01-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had an elective c-section, I was petrified of giving birth and also have a needle phobia.

Having an elective and an emergency c-section are so different including the recovery so factor this into your decision.

I had a spinal block not an epidural as the thought of an epidural made me feel ill (needle phobia).
    Amazingly I didn't faint during the spinal and found the entire process to be smooth and quite relaxing.

The recovery wasn't nearly as bad as I expected. I had a shower when my son was 6 hours old and was up walking the next day. The important thing is to get up as soon as you can and take the pain meds!

Good luck with your decision, personally having an elective c-section was the best choice.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Alicia111 For This Useful Post:

Tiny Dancer  (12-01-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I've got my aunty calling me tonight. She's quite high up in midwifery in a large women's hospital. She's going to get a detailed history of DS's birth, this pregnancy (and I guess I'll have to tell her about the PND/PNA and ask her not to tell Dad). She'll talk to the senior consultants at her work, and see what they would advise. At least that way I will know that the information is unbiased and not relying in large part on staffing/costing issues.

I am starting to freak out that my coccyx may just fracture by itself regardless of what position I birth in - considering the consultant thought it was almost impossible for it to break just with me pushing. This bub's head is up to 58th percentile, and DS's was only 50th. After I have all the info from my aunty, I'll feel much more comfortable making a decision that is in the best interest of me and bub. Should know what I am going to do by the weekend. I think once I know what I am going to do, I will feel better. I am already considering booking in an elective for 38+5 (DS was 39+1, they'd prefer to do it before then and DS has day care on that date) because the later we get the bigger her head gets, but if I go before that trying for a vaginal delivery. Leaving it open to the universe, if you will.

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Tiny Dancer For This Useful Post:

Alicia111  (12-01-2017),Bel0v3d  (12-01-2017),gingermillie  (12-01-2017),Happymum2  (13-01-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiny Dancer View Post
    I've got my aunty calling me tonight. She's quite high up in midwifery in a large women's hospital. She's going to get a detailed history of DS's birth, this pregnancy (and I guess I'll have to tell her about the PND/PNA and ask her not to tell Dad). She'll talk to the senior consultants at her work, and see what they would advise. At least that way I will know that the information is unbiased and not relying in large part on staffing/costing issues.

I am starting to freak out that my coccyx may just fracture by itself regardless of what position I birth in - considering the consultant thought it was almost impossible for it to break just with me pushing. This bub's head is up to 58th percentile, and DS's was only 50th. After I have all the info from my aunty, I'll feel much more comfortable making a decision that is in the best interest of me and bub. Should know what I am going to do by the weekend. I think once I know what I am going to do, I will feel better. I am already considering booking in an elective for 38+5 (DS was 39+1, they'd prefer to do it before then and DS has day care on that date) because the later we get the bigger her head gets, but if I go before that trying for a vaginal delivery. Leaving it open to the universe, if you will.
    How did the phone call go did it help with your decision?

Thanks
    Reviews
    My first birth was an elective c section and was a very calm a relaxed experience. I was up that afternoon and walking and showering by the next day. I am a single lady so only had my mum visiting and assisting me for about 2 weeks. I was driving by 2.5 weeks after the birth. Took things easy and was feeling ok within about a month and went interstate with bubs to visit a friend. I am pregnant with number 2 and again plan to have an elective c section.. Despite also having a 3yr old to look after. I think I will have about 2 weeks of help and then be left to our own devices. Hardest thing is getting a capsule in and out of the car with a baby in it.. So quickly changed bub to a rear facing car seat where I was only lifting a 3kg baby.. Not baby plus capsule 5kg. Good luck with what ever you decide..

Thanks
    Reviews
    And my Aunty called back after speaking with 2 of the most senior people of the whole department... neither think that there is any medical indication that a c-section is necessary unless my coccyx is displaced. I just shouldn't birth on my back (and should avoid an epidural).

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Tiny Dancer For This Useful Post:

BabyG4  (20-01-2017),Bel0v3d  (20-01-2017),Happymum2  (20-01-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    It would have been easier if she'd called and said yeah, go the section.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Tiny Dancer For This Useful Post:

Bel0v3d  (21-01-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Birth can be so scary because of all the unknowns.
    You have a really tough position
    I had a really sore tailbone after my first birth because I had a long pushing stage and he had a huge head. I think they were talking forceps when I finally got him out. I had to sit on one of those special cushions for weeks later. No one ever wanted to check it out for me. That was nearly 18 years ago. Maybe it was just bruised for me.
    I've had 5 natural births since and no drastic pain. Personally I'm always an advocate for a natural birth if possible. Also personally I'm terrified of c sections.
    All you can do is weigh it up some more. From what I've read baby's head size is complete at 37 weeks (after having two large headed children I researched a lot for my last birth).
    If you truly think that you would have a ton of anxiety in labor it would be safer for the section.
    But choosing a section you have to realise the associated risks for you and baby.
    I realise that a lot of women and babies do great with sections but they aren't fail proof.

Best wishes, I hope you can choose and enjoy what is left of your pregnancy. Having had pre natal anxiety over similar issues (I had two more pregnancies after a 9.5lb baby and was terrified I would end up with a 10lb stuck baby! I'm only slight but have a huge pelvis apparently) I know how it can rob you of any enjoyment with this sort of thing weighing on your mind.
    Hope you and your baby are happily and safely cuddling soon