+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    @gingermillie, my pain isn't severe any more, but definitely still there - and DS is 2. I appreciate your input considering you understand what the ongoing pain is like. The only person I am likely to have helping for the first 2 weeks is DH. I don't know when other family will make it up. We don't have much in terms of other people in our support network here. Do you think that would change your answer?
    @Happymum2 - thank you! Would you have considered it as doable if your in-laws weren't at hand? I think I could get around most of the lifting aspects for a while. DS is a monkey, loves to climb. But also loves to jump - off the coffee table, on me, on the bed. I've been trying to get him to stop, but not achieving much (probably because he thinks it's a fun new trick). How did you go with the driving thing? And do you think it would be feasible for me to walk to and from day care (maybe 1.5km each way, but has a pretty steep hill) with bub in a carrier and DS in a pram after 2 weeks?
    @HillDweller, you're right. Either way is going to make me anxious. I think it will probably end up with a which is going to be easier for me to live with decision. I had the glove thing with DS. It helped that I didn't have to look at it.... but obviously still there. Glad to know your recovery was so good!!
    @RedCreamingSoda - we have no doulas here. One doula about 1.5/2 hours away, and I've had no response from her. We do have one private midwife here, but we don't have private health and even with the medicare rebate, at the moment the cost rules it out for us. We're still recovering financially from 2 interstate moves and buying a second car last year. Having said that, the midwives and the obstetrician that I have spoken to at the hospital all seem really good - much more concerned with my individual needs and concerns and willing to listen and discuss things (and I say this even as a jaded person who experienced a traumatic birth which I partially attribute to the way my care providers treated me last time).

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Tiny Dancer For This Useful Post:

HillDweller  (05-01-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    @Tiny Dancer no it wouldn't change my answer. After my section I was vacuuming the floor and driving 3 weeks later and at 4 weeks lifting the pram in and out of the car. I don't want to sound flippant I know it's major surgery and everyone recovers differently. I found the first 5-7 days the worst but still not too bad.
    My OB said to me there is no official 'clearance' or wait period for driving she just asked can you turn around to see properly, wear a seat belt comfortably and slam the brakes on if needed? If yes it doesn't matter if it's 2 weeks or 2 months you can drive. So I went with that (and my insurance had no '6 week wait' thing either I checked with them too). Speak to the midwife and your insurance too. You just do what you feel comfortable with and if your body says stop you listen. It felt tender to put pressure on for 1-2 months but nothing major or limiting.
    With the walk as long as you took it slowly and if you feel uncomfortable pulling turn around and go home. Maybe do a trial run with DH the day before.
    I think you're really brave for considering a vaginal delivery given what you went through

4. The Following User Says Thank You to gingermillie For This Useful Post:

Tiny Dancer  (05-01-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default To elective c-section or not

Pretty much what @gingermillie has said.

We moved from Melbourne to NSW/Vic border 2 days before having dd (crazy I know). I didn't have my license then so couldn't drive anyway, I was walking with dd in the carrier and ds in the pram a few days after we got home (very slowly though).

We were staying with my in laws until the rental we were moving into became available so from the 2nd week I was walking the short distance (2-3kms) to the new house at least once a day with dd in the carrier and ds in the pram and unpacking boxes etc.

It definitely would have been doable with just dh (just don't expect long visits from them at the hospital) and I really wouldn't worry too much about your ds, I was really worried too but it was like he knew I wasn't ok and was really settled and gentle when with me. I remember one day I had fallen asleep on the couch and woke to him kissing me forehead, so cute!

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Happymum2 For This Useful Post:

gingermillie  (05-01-2017),Tiny Dancer  (05-01-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Here we are the day after dd was born.IMG_1483588453.006277.jpg

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Happymum2 For This Useful Post:

Fi Poledancer  (11-02-2017),gingermillie  (05-01-2017),Tiny Dancer  (05-01-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    So, just an update for anyone who might be interested.
    Had an appointment today with a different senior registrar. She said that they can absolutely not see a problem with doing an elective c-section given my coccyx situation. She also implied that if I were to get to 40 weeks and still have not had bub that a c-section was the best option because bigger heads are going to be harder to get out (DS was 39 weeks and his head was smack bang on average, but disproportionately larger than the rest of him). However, she also said that they would be happy for me to try a v.aginal delivery also. But, she wouldn't let me skip the possibility of an instrumental delivery if things go pear shaped. And if it was to be an instrumental delivery, then she ruled out every possibility I suggested to get my coccyx off the bed so it has room to move. She also seemed to doubt my recollection of my coccyx fracturing *before* they pulled him out with the vacuum. Said it was more likely the quick delivery with the vacuum. Checked with DH - was definitely before the vacuum.
    So here I am, feeling cornered into an elective c-section because I don't want to run the risk of fracturing my coccyx agan when they won't help put any support measures in place. She also flat out said they wouldn't give me fentynal as a pain relief option even though I know it works well for me if I need it, and morphine and gas send me off my head and nauseated, and I won't consent to an epidural in labour (unless I have to go for a c-section - cos those circumstances are different and my fear of not waking up from a general is stronger than the fear of a needle in my spine).
    This is the first time I have come out of an appointment feeling like this at this hospital.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oh @Tiny Dancer, what a tough situation to be in!

I'm probably a bit biased because I really didn't have an issues with my c-section, both were very positive experiences and one I wouldn't hesitate in doing again but if I was you I would be booking in the c-section. I know it probably doesn't help make the decision any easier but I'm here and happy to help if you need to talk it out. Xo

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Happymum2 For This Useful Post:

Tiny Dancer  (09-01-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Sorry you feel pushed into it @Tiny Dancer. I wish they'd explained it differently so you could feel empowered instead
    I'm with @Happymum2 in that my c-section was fine (even though it was an emergency).
    I know you want to try vaginal but it's also absolutely ok to have a bit of self-preservation here too xx

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gingermillie For This Useful Post:

Happymum2  (09-01-2017),Tiny Dancer  (09-01-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Sorry you feel pushed into it @Tiny Dancer. I wish they'd explained it differently so you could feel empowered instead
    I'm with @Happymum2 in that my c-section was fine (even though it was an emergency).
    I know you want to try vaginal but it's also absolutely ok to have a bit of self-preservation here too xx

Thanks
    Reviews
    That's really tough @Tinydancer.

Just remember that you need to give convent before any procedure is preformed regardless of policy, if you don't convent to an assisted delivery they can't perform one.

Can you change hospitals or Drs at all? Or request a review by another dr.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Bel0v3d For This Useful Post:

Tiny Dancer  (09-01-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews

Default To elective c-section or not

Double post
    Last edited by Bel0v3d; 09-01-2017 at 20:43.