+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Oh I just remembered my friend.
    She had an average size baby for her first and suffered a bad tear. I was her birth support person and remember them calling the doctor in to assess her back passage! I was so scared for her.
    She had two more kids both naturally and her third was over a pound bigger than the first two and only small tears with no stitching or a graze.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Bluebirdgirl For This Useful Post:

Fi Poledancer  (03-03-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    @Bluebirdgirl 6 babies!!! You're amazing!

Thanks everyone for sharing your experiences, I really appreciate it. I spoke to my midwife and she talked about all the things we can do to try and avoid it, but no guarantees even with an induction! My fundal height is measuring spot-on now at 32 weeks, so I'm hoping they'll still send me for a scan. I guess I would only opt for induction if he was measuring a lot bigger than average

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi ladies,

Thought I would update this thread in case anyone else is in a similar situation. I elected to stay with community midwives but attend a birth centre attached to the hospital just in case (my platelets got a bit low throughout pregnancy so that was another risk). Anyway, my baby boy came on his due date in a super quick labour and ended up being born at home accidentally! He was 4.36kg or 9 pd 6 and I only had a 1st degree tear & 200ml blood loss! My midwife made it just in time - it was 3.5 hours from first niggle - 1.5 hours active labour with 15 mins pushing. Very crazy but actually a very positive birth, I'm glad I chose to let him come naturally rather than inducing thanks for all the advice xx

5. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Fi Poledancer For This Useful Post:

3bubbys  (04-05-2017),GingerKat  (04-05-2017),JustJaq  (04-05-2017),Kazza78  (05-05-2017),Mamasupial  (04-05-2017),smallpotatoes  (04-05-2017),Spec  (07-06-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Congratulations on you big bundle of joy- wow that's fast! Good job! Enjoy the newborn phase.

Thanks
    Reviews
    @Fi Poledancer can I ask what, if anything you did to help prevent major tearing? Do you go on all fours? Side? Use warm compress? Perineal massage before hand? Etc. In in similar situation and hoping to avoid a third, third degree tear. Thanks

Thanks
    Reviews
    @JoJo1stbub to be honest I didn't do anything, they told me he would be average size so I figured after a 4kg baby he would fit through nicely. Haha well he was huge but he came so fast I didn't even think about position etc, I was lying on my side on the bed but only because I couldn't move! The difference was he did the thing they're supposed to do where he came down and then went back up a bit, came down a bit more, and I pushed him out in a more controlled manner, whereas with my first he just came out really suddenly. So I guess just listen to your midwife and hold back when they tell you to?

One thing that helped with my labour was banging on the bed during contractions to distract myself, I got it from JuJu's birth skills book and it helped a lot in early contractions. Probably too much as I didn't realise I was in proper labour haha

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fi Poledancer For This Useful Post:

Dizzyfairy  (19-05-2017),Spec  (07-06-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Ok thanks. Fingers crossed mine goes well too and I can avoid another 3rd degree tear. I've stared raspberry leaf tea a week ago, and am going to try all fours or side for the delivery and warm compresses. 🤞

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default 3rd degree tear - risk of happening again?

I had a 3.2kg with a 3c tear
    They took 45 mins stitching me up with a spinal in theatre
    I'm not going to risk it and have a Cs if I ever get pregnant again
    I had 8 mths of pelvic floor pain and rectal pain
    I also had faecal I continence for 2 weeks pp
    My bladder has permanently drop too (hanging down lump in vagina)
    Last edited by Kazza78; 05-05-2017 at 13:06.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Kazza78 View Post
    I had a 3.2kg with a 3c tear
    They took 45 mins stitching me up with a spinal in theatre
    I'm not going to risk it and have a Cs if I ever get pregnant again
    I had 8 mths of pelvic floor pain and rectal pain
    I also had faecal I continence for 2 weeks pp
    My bladder has permanently drop too (hanging down lump in vagina)
    That sux! I'm sorry that it went so bad for you. I had to go to theatre with a spinal for the last tear. However I seem to heal quite well and don't have any long lasting effects. It scares me it could happen again. And I was offered the option if a Caesar. But have decided I'd rather try again naturally and feel I have a good plan with my midwife. Doesn't mean it will all go the way we want. Just didn't want the aftermath of a ceasar.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to JoJo1stbub For This Useful Post:

Kazza78  (07-05-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JoJo1stbub View Post
    That sux! I'm sorry that it went so bad for you. I had to go to theatre with a spinal for the last tear. However I seem to heal quite well and don't have any long lasting effects. It scares me it could happen again. And I was offered the option if a Caesar. But have decided I'd rather try again naturally and feel I have a good plan with my midwife. Doesn't mean it will all go the way we want. Just didn't want the aftermath of a ceasar.
    I have felt completely fine since 8 mths pp.
    What I'd love to happen is an extremely quick labour and have Bub at home with no tear at all!!! But I think I'm pushing my luck there lol.