+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I had a 3C tear with my second baby due to forceps. She wasn't big and didn't get stuck but her heart rate suddenly dropped very low and I couldn't get her out quick enough myself. I had surgery an hour after birth to repair the damage. Two years later I had my third baby, and had only minor internal tears. I personally would go for it, using perineal massage during pregnancy and a warm compress on the area during pushing.
    Good luck with your decision!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    My experience...

#1 - 4.62kg with 38.5cm head and completely posterior through labour and delivery. I had an episiotomy.

#2 - 3.84kg with 36cm head. Second degree tear.

#3 - 4.67kg with 37cm head and only slight grazing. He was born in the birth center after a 2.5hr labour. Super easy.

So all my births were different. Just because you had it last time doesn't necessarily mean it will happen again.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I agree that if it happened the first time it doesn't mean it will again....at least it didn't in my experience, my tiny 1st baby, was under 3kg, I had a episiotomy and 3degree tear, it was very traumatic in general.
    Bub 2, 4kgs and a huge head and just a little tearing.
    Dr did recommend inducing at 38wks, because he was big.
    However, I would really take seriously any recommendations from the dr, taking into consideration the risks.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Gosh my details are becoming hazy re my births...

3 boys and all very different labours. Ds1 was my biggest baby, 33 hour labour and was suctioned then finally a forcep delivery. He needed to be delivered quick due to his heart rate dropping. I had a large episiotomy (my choice to be cut not tear). I had physio and healed really well and quickly.

I was quite worried about having another long difficult labour with ds2, I dreaded having to have a cs. I had scans in 3rd trimester to monitor ds2's growth as I had low pappa. My ob suggested I be induced 2 weeks early as it was estimated bub was big. So I was enduced, easy 4 hour labour, I had an episiotomy, 2 stitches. Healed quickly again. Estimation of bubs weight was pretty spot on.

Ds3. 9 hour horrendous labour due to him being sideways and I had an accident at 29 weeks pregnant and hurt my lower back so pushing was difficult and painful. Cord was around bubs neck so he had to come out very quickly, no time to be cut, I tore. 2 stitches and took me longer to recover, I had pain and discomfort for months after birth. Happy to report all good now! Ds3 was my smallest bub.

All births are different.
    Trust your ob if he recommends being enduced. You could request a scan as mine did to get an idea of bubs size.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had an episiotomy/3rd degree tear with my first and she was 4.22kgs.

My DS was 4.31kgs and I had a 2nd degree tear. I birthed him in water and if it wasnt for the fact I pushed instead of just letting him naturally come I wojld have been fine..

Personally I would talk to whoever your primary caregivers are about your concerna

Thanks
    Reviews
    It does sound like bigger baby means bigger risk of tear. Gosh some of you have had some whoppers!!! @Barnaby it looks like your little girl was your smallest, I have heard that boys tend to be bigger. If we were having a girl this time maybe I wouldn't be as worried. Having said that there's heaps of other factors like position, intervention with forceps etc, pushing too much etc that seem to affect it. Great to hear so many of you had no issues second time!

My tear was 3A and it healed with no issues, physio 6 weeks post birth said it was like I'd never had a baby

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Fi Poledancer View Post
    It does sound like bigger baby means bigger risk of tear. Gosh some of you have had some whoppers!!! @Barnaby it looks like your little girl was your smallest, I have heard that boys tend to be bigger. If we were having a girl this time maybe I wouldn't be as worried. Having said that there's heaps of other factors like position, intervention with forceps etc, pushing too much etc that seem to affect it. Great to hear so many of you had no issues second time!

My tear was 3A and it healed with no issues, physio 6 weeks post birth said it was like I'd never had a baby
    Yep, my daughter was my small one! I thought she looked so teeny when she was born but everyone else seemed to think she was big 😂 she was estimated to be 4.9kg at birth from a growth scan at 40 weeks so they were well off.

Despite having 3 quite large babies I have never had any issues with my pelvic floor. In fact I spent about 3 hours at a trampoline place with my oldest last week, was jumping the whole time and was completely fine.

My first birth was hell but I think that was due to the posterior factor. I actually quite enjoyed the next two. Positioning plays a very big role I think!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks! What positions are good for a land birth?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 29/5/15Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week100 Posts in a week
    My babies were 3.88kgs and 3.522kgs. Both posterior, both 2nd degree tears. I gave birth in 2 different positions.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I read up quite a bit about this 3 years ago when I was expecting my 6th.
    I have had to have an episiotomy with every birth.
    My first was 8lb 5oz but he had a 37.5cm head.
    My biggest baby was 9lb 6oz and he had a large head too.
    What I read was that head size is determined by 37 weeks. I think it's also genetic? I had a large head when I was born.

I would ask for an episiotomy if it were me. They don't like doing them but it is your choice. A small cut to one side to save tearing. I know there is still a risk of tearing but it's lessened.
    I was told that laying on the left side with your legs supported is a good position for bigger babies.

At the end of the day it's going to come down to luck as all births do. You can do your best but you will still have no actual control.
    Assess the risks of all types of birth and search as many sites etc as you can about birthing large babies.

I would think that your first assumption is correct and your second birth is likely to be easier. Our bodies do have a memory

One position I would definitely advise to avoid is the typical tv birth position of half sitting/laying on your back. I somehow ended up in that spot with my second and she had a smaller head and only a few ounces heavier and I tore all inside when she came out in a hurry. It's a bad way to position.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Bluebirdgirl For This Useful Post:

Fi Poledancer  (03-03-2017)