+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    House or apartment? Are there crazy strict strata rules or juat landlord?

If just landlord I would anchor and patch when leaving - as long as you can also match the paint colour.

Otherwise if you can afford buy heavy, low furniture that will have less risk of falling over.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Proactive child safety

@twinklify we were in an apartment but it wasn't strata law, it was part of a new code of safety for curtain cords that landlords and owners had to implement - that was over 5 years ago too. If that question was at me

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ICanDream View Post
    @twinklify we were in an apartment but it wasn't strata law, it was part of a new code of safety for curtain cords that landlords and owners had to implement - that was over 5 years ago too. If that question was at me
    I think I was supposed to quote someone but forgot lol.

It's just that I know some strata laws are strict about a lot of things and I wonder if anchoring furniture to walls is one of them.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by twinklify View Post
    I think I was supposed to quote someone but forgot lol.

It's just that I know some strata laws are strict about a lot of things and I wonder if anchoring furniture to walls is one of them.
    Nah not to what you do internally on your own walls, they get a carrot up their a$$ for any walls that are viewed to be common which isn't much restrictive.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to ICanDream For This Useful Post:

twinklify  (05-01-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    This might sound bad but we haven't really taken many measures to child-proof the house besides wall mounting the TV. We don't have any bookshelves that could be toppled (the kids have one each but they have a toy chest attached to the bottom so there's no way it could tilt let alone fall). In our old house we had a baby gate on DDs room until she was about 4 because the top of the stairs was directly in front of her room. In the laundry we keep everything on high shelves. No locks on kitchen cabinets, but there's not much in them that would be dangerous anyway (cleaning products are in the laundry).

I am also a landlord and I would have absolutely no issue at all with my tenants anchoring furniture or wall mounting the TV. As long as it's done properly and they don't leave unnecessary damage. Someone told me once that landlords can't refuse or penalize tenants for installing child safety devices, not sure if that's true.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Cue For This Useful Post:

babyno1onboard  (05-01-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Cue View Post
    This might sound bad but we haven't really taken many measures to child-proof the house besides wall mounting the TV. We don't have any bookshelves that could be toppled (the kids have one each but they have a toy chest attached to the bottom so there's no way it could tilt let alone fall). In our old house we had a baby gate on DDs room until she was about 4 because the top of the stairs was directly in front of her room. In the laundry we keep everything on high shelves. No locks on kitchen cabinets, but there's not much in them that would be dangerous anyway (cleaning products are in the laundry).

I am also a landlord and I would have absolutely no issue at all with my tenants anchoring furniture or wall mounting the TV. As long as it's done properly and they don't leave unnecessary damage. Someone told me once that landlords can't refuse or penalize tenants for installing child safety devices, not sure if that's true.
    Truly we never baby proofed our house either. By the grace of god my kids weren't climbers, they didn't get into cupboards and if the door was shut they just ignored that room. So safety wise they were actually pretty easy. Nightmare kids with sleeping, and all sorts of other annoying behaviour though.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Proactive child safety

Not proper safety equipment but we have always used one of those big shoe horns that you can get from Ikea to put down the drawers in the kitchen. Stopped our girls from grabbing any sharpe items like knives or graters etc that were in the drawers.

Thanks
    Reviews
    @Elijahs Mum - any info regarding anchoring furniture due to safety in rentals? I couldn't find much about QLD.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Any alterations to the property ( like installing hooks, security devices, anchoring points ect) you need permission for, for reasonable requests ( like child safety) if your landlord refuses you can apply for a tribunal hearing which they would more than likely grant you with the classes that they either be professionally installed and removed to make sure there is no damage to the home