+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Proactive child safety

I thought I'd start a thread for us to discuss any safety issues we have found at our houses, in our cars, etc and how we fixed them.

Today I ordered a new little plastic clip that goes over the tether clip on my DDs car seat as it has gone missing. I also ordered a anchoring kit for the chest of draws in my room.

Edit: this is a positive thread to discuss the good things we are doing. No negativity, judging etc.
    Last edited by babyno1onboard; 04-01-2017 at 19:12.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to babyno1onboard For This Useful Post:

Yogis Mumma  (04-01-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Awards:
    Funniest Caption
    I will be interested in reading tips about anchoring furniture in rentals. I am not allowed to put Blu tak on the walls let alone anchors

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by bpac View Post
    I will be interested in reading tips about anchoring furniture in rentals. I am not allowed to put Blu tak on the walls let alone anchors
    I would anchor it anyway and patch / repaint the wall when you move out.

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to babyno1onboard For This Useful Post:

bpac  (04-01-2017),LaDiDah  (05-01-2017),Mama Mirabelle  (04-01-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Subbing, great idea @babyno1onboard

Thanks
    Reviews
    You can get pool latch type locks (the black pull up ones) that have an alarm. It has warning beeps when you open it and after 15 seconds or something, it sounds a very loud alarm. I would love one of those on my front gate (front door is on the side of the house, behind a big tin fence) so I can know if a child is sneaking out.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ahalfdozen For This Useful Post:

AdornedWithCats  (04-01-2017),wobbleyhorse  (04-01-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    The inside door hooks haven't worked on cupboards in our house as our little one managed to wiggle her tiny fingers inside to open them. But they at least helped to teach cupboards that were off limits so wasn't an issue overall. The cupboard restraints that have the sticky patches & plastic hook are unbeatable for safety but tricky to open even as an adult so we just use them where essential (bathroom/laundry).

We anchored all furniture that could topple, tv on wall bracket, installed a medicine cabinet out of reach on the wall in the bathroom with a sticky hook, gate on kitchen (for a short period of time), socket plugs, hid cords where possible, front screen door is key locked at all times & still keep some rooms in the house closed off. But I prefer most of the home to be a safe place so tried to remove safety issues where possible.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I am definitely interested in this thread! So far I have just gone the route of blocking DS access to everything but it's not long term at all, he has already started climbing everything.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by bpac View Post
    Ditto. Up until this point we've kept our heavy bookcase in the spare room that dd can't get to but that's not going to be an option soon. I dread having it unsecured in the lounge room.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have anchored tall furniture in rentals and patched on vacating. I also rigged up a few things. One place had carpet fitted in such a way that every piece of furniture on the wall tipped forward, so we used chocks or packers (or folded up cardboard) under the front edge/feet of everything!

One tall bookcase was near the window, so I screwed a ring (picture hanging type) to the top and then tied it onto the curtain fixing. It meant the bookcase could tip slightly still - so nothing heavy on top shelves - but could not fall.

For a tall cupboard with doors I did the same ring on top but put in two big removable hooks (the sort you would hang a hand towel on) above the cupboard and tied it on.

We now own and the pantry is very tall and all the shelves are adjustable, this means you can get them to flip if you put a lot of weight onto the front of them. We keep the cupboard child latched for the toddler, my 9yo just needed to have it explained why she should not climb the lower shelves to get to the high ones... DH on the other hand, I caught him doing just that the other day! I should know by now that he needs constant supervision! lol

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'd say you should be able to anchor etc in a rental so long as you're prepared to patch it. Child safety for landlords is a big thing too - I know when we rented they had to send a curtain person out as the cords were too long and breached code. If you had an a$& of a landlord who created a fuss I'm pretty sure VCAT or the equivalent would put a stop to it.