+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default 4 week old fusses in his sleep

My 4 week old does this thing where he'll sleep for 2 and a half hours at night then start squirming and fussing for 2-3 min then drift off to sleep then start again with the grunting and fussing noises then again drift off to sleep and so on until eventually he wakes up and wants to feed. My husband is a light sleeper and gets very frustrated because his sleep is so disrupted, whereas I seem to be able to sleep through it and only wake up properly if he sounds like he's genuinely upset and needs to be fed.

What could be the reason for the wriggling and fussing? I'm wondering if he has reflux because he does spit up milk often after feeding and I've noticed him pulling his face like he has a bad taste in his mouth or making a slight gagging motion.

How can I help him settle quickly and go back to sleep until his next feed?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Normal I mean, all babies are different, but every baby I know well has made all sorts of strange noises in their sleep. Both my kids still do.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Renn For This Useful Post:

gingermillie  (04-01-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    It can be reflux, my 2 silent reflux bubs where very noisy sleepers! Does he have a white tongue? Can be a sign if milk coming back into his mouth... my 2 where shockingly noisy grunting, groaning, squirming in their sleep... worth getting checked out!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Sometimes he does have a white tongue I've noticed. Recently he's been spitting up thick curdled milk up to an hour after a feed and for no apparent reason. It's not like he's just making random noises in his sleep but like he's actually uncomfortable. He squirms and makes this grunting sound like he's cramping and trying to push something out. He sometimes does this in the evenings between 6 and 10 where he'll suddenly go quiet for 5min, then he'll squirm and kick and cry then go quiet again for a few min.

Will mention it to the midwife at his check up this week.

thanks!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Maybe bub is hungry and feeding at the first waking will help prevent a lot of the flaffing around?

Hopefully your midwife can help.

Is your hubby at work yet? If so he may want to go to bed earlier or even sleep in a different room for a bit. Babies wake a lot when they are young, I know it's a shock at first. Hopefully your hubby can come to terms with this fact of life and find a work around that suits him (such as going to bed earlier).

Good luck

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    It could perhaps be reflux, both mine had reflux, but my first never made any noise, my second made terrible grunting noises, while sleeping.
    Some of the information I found is that it could be reflux, gas, constipation, or absolutely nothing, some babies just grunt.
    So it's probably best to mention it at your next appointment.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Maybe wind from lying down. I found mine to be grunty until maybe 3 months.

Lots of burping and infant's friend helped the most. But honestly IMO it can be fairly normal for babies to make noises while sleeping without any other issues.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    Maybe bub is hungry and feeding at the first waking will help prevent a lot of the flaffing around?

Hopefully your midwife can help.

Is your hubby at work yet? If so he may want to go to bed earlier or even sleep in a different room for a bit. Babies wake a lot when they are young, I know it's a shock at first. Hopefully your hubby can come to terms with this fact of life and find a work around that suits him (such as going to bed earlier).

Good luck
    Quite certain he's not hungry because he falls asleep on his own if I just give the bassinet a rock or put my hand on his chest but then wakes a few minutes later once I stop and if I try feed he just comfort sucks and falls asleep within minutes.

DH is on leave at the moment so I'm making the most of him while I can, but he does go to the spare room if there's not much point in us both being up. Usually he takes him after his early morning feed so I can get a good sleep in before the day starts. He gets frustrated when I don't pick him up to feed when he fidgets in his sleep but I've tried to explain that I know it's something else bothering him and not that he's hungry.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Honestly sounds perfectly normal to me and part of the digestion system (learning to poop/fart).