+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Weight lost question- building muscle any personal trainers out there.

Hi there,

Am am really just after some advice.

I seriously feel like my body just can't move any weight. I had three children in three years and of course put on a bit of weight. I lost about 10 kilos after second baby through diet and was 72 kilos when started third pregnancy.
    Fast forward two years and my third baby is nearly 1.5 years. I have been trying since she was born to loose weight and just seem to not be able to move any.
    I am stuck at 88 kilos which is huge for me.
    I have worked hard in the diet I used before but still didn't move any weight.
    I have now been working with a personal trainer at the gym twice a week and exercising hard on other days- it has been 5 weeks and still no weight loss. My body shape is changing and I can see where I have lost cms off my body measurement but the scales agents moving at all.
    I really need some motivation to keep pushing my body hard and also the structured diet/ eating.

It's like my body just can't move any weight??
    Any ideas or advice would be great.

Busy-Bee is offline Offending people since before Del :D
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    The scales just measure how much you weigh, not what you're made of. I would suggest that you have grown muscle which weighs more than fat. How tight do your pants feel? That's a better gauge of success than the scales. Years ago I started working out with a personal trainer which continued for 2 years. During that time I turned into a gym junkie but I only lost about 3kg. However, I became fitter, stronger and leaner and dropped 2 sizes. Whilst I appreciate you want the scales to shift can I suggest other goals such as:
    - Getting into a smaller size of clothing
    - Challenging yourself to beat your PB at the gym (PB can be for anything, how far you ran, how many push ups/squats you can do, how much you can bench press, how many calories you burn in a workout, etc).

Thanks
    Reviews
    Diet is so important. Make sure you are eating nutrient dense food, and keep an eye on your calories and macros. Not all calories are created equally! Biggest mistake is not eating enough.

I aim for 1500 calories of food per day
    -200 calories in excercise
    Macros of 40/40/20.

I am always satisfied (maybe not the first few days) hunger wise and have a good diet.

Also once you are at your goal weight you need to adjust calories up for maintenance.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mckel View Post
    Diet is so important. Make sure you are eating nutrient dense food, and keep an eye on your calories and macros. Not all calories are created equally! Biggest mistake is not eating enough.

I aim for 1500 calories of food per day
    -200 calories in excercise
    Macros of 40/40/20.

I am always satisfied (maybe not the first few days) hunger wise and have a good diet.

Also once you are at your goal weight you need to adjust calories up for maintenance.
    Following this as I am in the sane boat.

In Oct 2015 i started my weight loss journey, I was 80.3kgs and I was huge. I lost weight by changing my diet, I didn't have an actual diet, i just cut out all the junk and worked out at the gym.
    I lost around 8-10kgs (my weight fluctuates a lot), I then had a break from around Jan to August as I got lazy and was also working full time, I put on around 4-5kgs.

I started up on isagenix in August 2016 and have been back at the gym 5/6 times per week doing classes only as I find them much more fun and motivating. I am now down to 66.9kg but I've been stuck here for around 2 months I can't say isagenix has really done much for my weight loss... it has mainly kept me on track. Other have much better results then I have had.

My goal weight would probably be around 59kgs (I'm quite short). I have also toned up, I can now see and feel muscles I didn't know i had, but I still have a lot of actual fat which is very noticeable to me.
    @mckel - what are macros? (Sorry that's why I quoted you, to ask that question before I started rambling

Thanks
    Reviews
    Macronutrients (the proportion of carbs/protien/fat you comsume) ie: 1500 calories a day of iced coffee = approx 50% carbs, 35% fat and 15% protien. Not the best fuel for your body to burn fat/build muscle/aid fitness.

I aim for 40% carbs, 40% protien and 20% fat.

My diet is clean and easy - no quick fixes as they dont work and can damage your metabolism longer term.

Im losing weight @ 1kg per week with light exercise (walking) atm.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to mckel For This Useful Post:

SAgirl  (08-01-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Exactly what mckel has said is spot on - there are no quick fixes.

If you download my fitness pal it will break down the macros of your food when you enter them

You can put your weight. Your goal weight. And it will come up with your daily calorie count and macro breakdown. This will help you stick to the calories as well as the nutrients.

There really is no crazy secret though
    If you eat clean and nutrient dense food you will definitely change your body composition
    Food examples: i.e sweet potato, brown rice over white potato and pasta
    Higher protein diets will keep you fuller longer - chicken breast, salmon, lean meats
    Good fats - avocado, nuts, coconut oil

All of these are harder for the body to burn so you stay satisfied longer while not pumping your body full of high calories foods.

It's true what busy bee said - don't weigh your self for 4 weeks. But take a photo every Sunday for 4 weeks and have a look at your progress that way! Much kinder way to see your progress x

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Weight lost question- building muscle any personal trainers out there.

I have to weigh (no pun intended) in on this as a lady.

Ladies stop trying to obtain a number on the scales throw them out! As an older bird it's more important to be healthy. Fighting a number on the scales will drive you batty!

Also the number you've picked on the scale may not be right for your body at all.

We all want to be 55kg or a size 8-10 but that's not achievable for everyone.

I was 60kg and 165cm I was anorexic for 5yrs to achieve this. Healthy BMI but not very healthy lifestyle. An apple a day and 4hrs exercise per day minimum.

I was flogging a dead horse my genetics stated girl your destined to have meat on your bones.

My metabolism is slow. Based on all the calculations my resting metabolic rate is 1700. You are supposed to under cut this by 500cals to loose so I did. Dropped it to 1200 nothing didn't gain or loose. Dropped it to 900 cals per day as a experiment and lost 0.8 or nothing some weeks. Eventually I lost 15kgs over 5 months. The moment I put my cal to 1300 I started gaining a kilo a week! Despite upping my exercise.

You might say 15kgs congrats but this takes my weight to 100kgs.

And now I'm stuck. Despite all this all my tests come back that I'm healthy as!

Morale of story throw scales out and concentrate on health.

Better take photos every week to indicate progress.

Take notice of clb84

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MysticFalls For This Useful Post:

frankie46  (05-01-2017),mckel  (05-01-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    deleted
    Last edited by DrewS; 10-03-2017 at 11:38.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to DrewS For This Useful Post:

smallpotatoes  (08-03-2017)