+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I'd say there are plenty of positives to having pets. But I wouldn't say kids 'should' have them. It's not one of life's essentials IMO.
    I had cats and dogs growing up. But I really can't be bothered with the extra hassle of having them at the moment. Another thing to look after on top of three small kids. So maybe when they're bigger I will. At the moment it's just a small fish tank, and DS has to remember to feed them every day.

Thanks
    Reviews
    We have a 5 year old cat and a 2.5 year old border collie.

My son loves both of them very much. He has Autism so I find it good for him. He helps feed our dog her tea every night and loves going walkies with her, as well as playing with her in the garden.

My son has grown up around dogs, before we got our dog, my sisters Italian Greyhound BJ. They have always been inseparable when we visit, and when he has sleepovers they sleep together in a queen size bed. BJ is almost 9 and my son is 8 months older than him, so they have grown up together.

Thanks
    Reviews
    It's always been important for us to have a dog. Even before DD was born. I have always worked with animals so its a big part of my life.

Having said that, it needs to be the right animal and you need to be able to make tough choices. DH and I made the decision to put our 2 staffies to sleep when DD was about 10 months old as they were fighting. I couldn't take the risk that they'd hurt her.

Our current dog, a mini bulldog, is amazing with DD even though she's only 7 months old. She tolerates pulling and poking without batting an eyelid and just quietly removes herself when she's had enough. It's important for animals to be able to escape from little fingers when necessary. We also teach our dog to respect DDs space when she's over doggie kisses and play.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I'm a bit 50/50. DH grew up with dogs. I've only ever had birds and fish. DH is dead keen for a dog at some point, but I really just don't know. His folks have a dog and much to my annoyance, they rile her up every time we go over so she's all excited and what not by the time we get there. The thought of that freaks me out when we have a newborn we are going to go and visit and she will be all over Bub, particularly if she sees baby as competition for DHs attention. I'm not a huge dog person, but am happy to compromise with DH if I get a say in the type of dog we get (I'm hopeful for something small and placid)!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by M'LadyEm View Post
    I'm a bit 50/50. DH grew up with dogs. I've only ever had birds and fish. DH is dead keen for a dog at some point, but I really just don't know. His folks have a dog and much to my annoyance, they rile her up every time we go over so she's all excited and what not by the time we get there. The thought of that freaks me out when we have a newborn we are going to go and visit and she will be all over Bub, particularly if she sees baby as competition for DHs attention. I'm not a huge dog person, but am happy to compromise with DH if I get a say in the type of dog we get (I'm hopeful for something small and placid)!
    My opinion. Don't get a dog and a newborn. You need time and patience to train a dog.

I want a dog. I really want a dog. But I am waiting until the kids start school (honestly we could probably get it earlier but I want chickens first lol).

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by twinklify View Post
    My opinion. Don't get a dog and a newborn. You need time and patience to train a dog.

I want a dog. I really want a dog. But I am waiting until the kids start school (honestly we could probably get it earlier but I want chickens first lol).
    Definitely not. If we get a dog, I am not going to be the one solely responsible for training/toilet training it etc. I will definitely stipulate to DH that if we get a dog he will need to be home more given he's the one who actually wants a dog. It doesn't suit our lifestyle currently anyway. I work 12hr shifts, DH works full time and is usually not home until 6:30-7pm.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to M'LadyEm For This Useful Post:

babyno1onboard  (05-01-2017),twinklify  (05-01-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think we can train a dog how to keep eyes on babies
    In fact, there are many parents who already have dogs and they can be a very good nany