+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    We have two cats that we got when DD was 2.5. The bond between her and the female cat is sooooo beautiful. The male doesn't go near her much, but she and the female are so super close. The cat seems almost protective of her (maternal instinct maybe?!). So it has been nothing but positive for us

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think kids being exposed to pets is a positive thing. In fact our new ragdoll kitten is coming home this weekend. I have a 2.5yr old and an 11month old.

I wouldn't get a dog but that's just me personally not liking dogs at all. I just don't have the time or desire for the upkeep and time a dog needs.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I think having a pet/s is a positive thing. I grew up with cats. We helped feed them and my brother and I particularly loved them. We currently have 2 cats and 4 birds. Our kids adore the animals and help care for them. I believe it teaches responsibility and a different kind of love. Plus they are lovely company (the cats). The kids are so happy when a cat plonks itself on or beside them.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/4/15100 Posts in a week

Default Pets and kids?

I'm allergic to cats (I also can't stand them personally) and some dogs. I also don't want the responsibility of a dog, so we don't currently have pets.

I absolutely adore dogs (they're amazing creatures and can be very cute), but they're a bit like other people's children, I'm happy to spend some time with them, but I'm happy to see them leave and not have to do all of the maintenance like feeding, walking, brushing them, taking them to the vet etc.

I do think it does teach responsibility, so I do eventually want to get the kids a pet but it would likely be either a Guinea pig or rabbit, something a bit more low maintenance than a dog as we have such busy lives that we couldn't give a dog the kind of home it needs
    Last edited by A-Squared; 03-01-2017 at 16:17.

Thanks
    Reviews
    We all up have x amount of chooks and ducks (with babies), two dogs, two newborn puppies, 4 budgies, two goats and two cats.
    We also "share" responsibility for them all. Normally it is up to one person but, If one person can't do it they ask someone else. So yes I believe it teaches responsibility but of course if your talking about children it is a shared project.
    My 9 1/2 month old loves them all. She laughs at the birds and dogs, and has distinguished between the female dog and her puppies which she also laughs her head off at. (she is gentle with the pups and rough as guts with mum and other Collie we have)
    I am lead to believe (through what I have read scientifically and personal veiw) that they are great for building the immune system up.(my child regularly "kisses" the dog, more like eating or biting)
    Risk is dependant on what kind of pet. Some breeds of dog, I would say of course there is risk involved. Bad tempered animals, also of course. The way I see it is it comes down to the parent, you wouldn't put your child down in danger, if you want pets around (dogs in particular) you train them to be tolerant of kids. A few tail pulls here, take their food while they are eating. Etc etc. All in all I don't think we would ever not have a pet of some kind and I see no problem with having kids and pets mingle. 😁

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Full House View Post
    Lets keep this nice. What are your thoughts on kids growing up with pets? There seems to be two trains of thought on pets...one that says kids should grow up with pets as it is good for their immune system and teaches them responsibility....the other train of thought is that it's too risky.
    Where do you sit?
    Before kids i was 100% yes to having pets. After bringing home a newborn baby (who is now a 5 yr old) I'm 50/50 about pets. My dog acted very strangely around our newborn, like he thinks they are rats that need to be disposed of.

Never having witnessed a dog not recognize a human before it shocked me to the absolute core to see instinct take over a domestic dog to the point where i knew my child was unsafe. I've had dogs all my life and i know dog behavior and traits of different breeds. I did all the things they recommend to safely introduce a baby to a dog and it was all in vain.

I will never again trust a dog around a baby or young child.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Candiceo For This Useful Post:

A-Squared  (03-01-2017),VicPark  (06-01-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm all for pets, DD has always been an animal lover, and she is very gentle, which has led to a bit of a zoo happening at our place.
    Before getting any pet you need to be aware that there are NO low maintenance pets.
    Fish your thinking- yes until your doing a big clean up of the tank, or you get one of the bad algae growing in there and need to clean it all the time, or you bring a new fish home and in a couple days they've all caught something from the new fish. The cleaning is a PIA, which may not be as bad for everyone but it grosses me out.
    Or a guinea pig, apart from needing to clean the cage all the time, you need to clip their toe nails, which is fine until DH goes away for work and your the only adult left in the house
    On the plus side I think my kids get a lot from the animals, DS is not as big on animals as DD but he will feed the small animals everyday, and check they have water, he is 5, sometimes he needs help so it's not like they do everything on their own, I still spend about a half hour every day on doing things for the animals. While DS doesn't show the same amount of love for the animals, when we have guests over if kids are being to loud or rough around the guinea pig, he'll be the first one to call me, to take it to another room because "he can tell it's making the guinea pig upset."
    While dogs are great always keep in mind you can never leave your child unsupervised, we have a Labrador, so he is very gentle, but I've always got to be supervising in the backyard.
    So while animals big or small are a lot of work, there are definitely benefits.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sparklebug For This Useful Post:

A-Squared  (03-01-2017),AdornedWithCats  (03-01-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think pet ownership is generally a positive thing. I grew up with heaps of pets and I think you do learn about responsibility and empathy, but I also think it's a good way for kids to learn about death, and teaches them coping strategies (it it's handled well.)

However, if the pets are abused/neglected, or treated as replaceable, then it's not really going to teach the kids much. My partner was emotionally scarred from his experiences with pets growing up, so he has never had any (although he does love animals), and neither has his daughter. But my experience was really positive.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Yes for us.

We have spoken to our landlord about getting a dog- we need a fence installed first (already requested due to kids).

Thanks
    Reviews
    Kids and pets are a great idea, if you love animals of course. We always had a pet/pets growing up, and my kids have always had pets in the household too.