+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Pets and kids?

Lets keep this nice. What are your thoughts on kids growing up with pets? There seems to be two trains of thought on pets...one that says kids should grow up with pets as it is good for their immune system and teaches them responsibility....the other train of thought is that it's too risky.
    Where do you sit?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Definitely yes, plus it's great for getting them out of the house, walking and playing with the dog and I also I've noticed DS is very interested in other dogs and animals and wants to learn more about them and seems to have a genuine love for animals
    We got our dog when he was 3 which I think is a great age but all my brothers/sisters/inlaws already had dogs when their kids were born and they had no problems at all ( some dogs and breeds I wouldn't leave with kids and I don't think any dog really should be left unsupervised with smaller kids)

Thanks
    Reviews
    My kids have a pet cat and several chickens. We would love to expand on this but just don't have the room.
    I think it's great. All the typical stuff, teaching responsibility and compassion etc. as well as being a really good introduction to death.
    I had a chicken die this morning, I showed it to my kids and while they were sad, it wasn't shocking for them as they have seen it all before.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    We would dearly love a pet for DD. But we live in rental so no pets.

When we do get our own home we would love a goldern retriever or two for DD and a couple of ginea pigs if possible.

I always grew up with pets. But you have to figure out if you have the time to devote to pets too. You cannot leave cats or dogs to their own devices all the time. They still need entertaining too. Don't expect your children to look after the pets either, you will still need to attend to the needs most of the times. We fostered a cat who was a dog cat. It didn't do its own thing, it wanted to be around you 24/7 not what we envisaged a cat to be.

Some dog breeds should not be left alone with children. But all dogs should be supervised with children. Do your homework. Some dogs require lots of brushing, come with hip problems and potential vet bills, some require a whole heap of training, some require a whole heap of exercise! I know of people who got a beagle and it tore up the garden, escaped multiple times. So they locked it inside when they went to work. They came home to destruction of couch, cushions etc everything A jack russel is a small dog but it is the energiser battery bunny of a dog. Needs a lot of exercise!!!

So i do recommend pets if you can. But take everything into account. life span, vet bills, food, vacinations, even death. Your going to have explain death to a little one if something happens god forbid. Was going to get a rabbit for DD but found out sometimes certain breeds can be more suseptible to death.

mysticfalls.

Thanks
    Reviews
    We're for it! We have 2 dogs and DS1 loves them so much, and they love him and are super protective of him. We never them leave unsupervised together and use them to teach DS about how to deal with other dogs (signs of displeasure/anxiety, being gentle, don't approach while they're eating etc). We also get him to help with feeding and brushing the dogs, so he's learning responsibility. I'd also love to get a cat and chickens, but that will have to wait until we own property again. We always grew up with dogs and cats, and we loved it. My first best friend was our dog, he and I were inseperable. I still miss him 30 years later!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I *generally* think kids having pets is a positive thing.

It is a negative thing when families who aren't particularly animal lovers take on pets and do not look after them properly. If parents do not show compassion and responsibility for their animals, how are the children going to grow up and view pet ownership?

I'm talking about folks who flippantly adopt a dog, then neglect it's needs by leaving it on a rope 24/7 in the backyard. Animals deserve love and dignity, and I'd rather see a child grow up with no pets than witness that kind of neglect.

7. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Mod-Degrassi For This Useful Post:

AdornedWithCats  (03-01-2017),BabyG4  (03-01-2017),Frankenmum  (03-01-2017),HillDweller  (03-01-2017),Hopeful37  (03-01-2017),LaDiDah  (03-01-2017),misho  (03-01-2017),Renn  (03-01-2017),TheGooch  (03-01-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Pets and kids?

Definately a yes. Teaching kids responsibility for others such as feeding, grooming, toilet stops, exercising. I grew up with a dog, cat, fish, lizards, geckos, a frog and turtles

Who wouldn't love this face IMG_1483400891.278429.jpg
    Last edited by babybeeno1; 03-01-2017 at 10:47.

9. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to babybeeno1 For This Useful Post:

BabyG4  (03-01-2017),brodiesmummy2011  (05-01-2017),Hopeful37  (03-01-2017),misho  (03-01-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    We currently have none, but want to desperately.

We travel alot so I'd feel guilty leaving a cat/dog alone alot.

I grew up with pets and really believe it helped me build empathy and kindness. That's what I'd like for my kids.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I find having pets so valuable for our kids. We have two large dogs and two cats. Having pets teaches them empathy, kindness, responsibility and gives them a good awareness of animals. DD's friends who are scared of animals have such a hard time because you will run into dogs everywhere, very hard to avoid them. Our kids love to cuddle up with the dogs on their dog beds, they gave DD friendships and play companions before DS came along.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I am a big believer in kids having pets, and we do have pets. We had a dog when the first two were born, and then she died. We didn't get a dog for 5 years after that because I did not have time to train a dog when I was elbow deep in nappies and toilet training etc.
    We rented for a few years and had a no pet policy...so we got some goldfish. The kids took turns feeding them, (I took responsibility for cleaning them), they got to experience death and they had something that relied on us for survival. We also did hermit crabs and then we got permission for a rabbit.
    When we bought a house again the kids were a bit older so we got a dog. Family walks (and yes, they used to complain sometimes), rosters for feeding etc. We've also fostered dogs, but I didn't do that until I was 150% confident that my kids were old enough to understand dog cues and recognise signs of stress etc.
    My pre-teen has a betta fish. The fish is soley their responsibility. They must feed it, clean it and pay for everything it needs. My pre-teen sets a little bit of money aside each time they get money for 'fish supplies' and is diligent with tank cleaning etc. It's been a great learning experience for them, and they quite like the responsibility.
    We are looking at getting a bearded dragon in the next couple of years.
    I do agree with Degrassi, though. If the adult isn't prepared to care for the pet then they shouldn't have one. I will add that I also think it's really important for the owners to research first. So many pets my kids have wanted over the years, and when we looked in to it we realised how incompatible with our lifestyle they were.
    I would like to see people having to get a license for a pet. It could be free, but just something that requires the new owner to have an understanding about pet ownership for the particular pet they want.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Full House For This Useful Post:

AdornedWithCats  (03-01-2017)