ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Old house - safe for baby?

Hi Guys,
    My partner and I are currently renting an old home. It has A/C and old gas heating that heat and cool only the living room. In summer the bedrooms are very, very hot.
    Do you think that we need to look for a newer home with air conditioning/ heating throughout? Or what are your suggestions to keep baby cool?
    We live in central Victoria so it reaches quite high temperatures in the Summer.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    We had a crappy rental with no aircon - bub was 6 months old at the peak of summer (SE Qld), it was a f ing nightmare. Her room was 35 degrees during the day. I'd move if you can.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I would be out of there.
    I am also from country Victoria and no way would I bring a baby home to no air con. It gets crazy hot.

Thanks
    Reviews
    We live outback NSW and when my youngest was little, we would just make sure he kept hydrated. Sleep in the living room if need be.

Thanks
    Reviews
    When DS was born, we were in an old house. It had no insulation, and the air con unit in the lounge room wouldn't work when it was humid and above 28 degrees. There was a heat wave when he was born - it was 42 degrees the day we brought him home. We spent the hottest days out the back in the kitchen/dining room because it had its own a/c, and there was an area across from the a/c that was big enough to fit a single mattress. I couldn't sit for a couple of weeks anyway, so DS and I spent a lot of time lying on the mattress with the a/c on us.
    We could also direct a cool airflow into our bedroom using a fan.
    By winter we were in Canberra. We bought a small oil column heater and a heater mate (thermostat to keep it at 21 degrees) for his room - it was on pretty well all the time from April to October - the thermostat stopped it from getting too hot and would turn the heater off if it got to 22 degrees, on if it dropped to 20 for a minute or more. Any nappy changes/clothes changes etc at least he was warm.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Old house - safe for baby?

I think it all comes down to what you're comfortable with, and how easy it would be for you to move. Are you renting? Then moving to somewhere easier to heat / cool might be a good option. I live in an old home with no insulation. Moving wasn't an option for us, but we did replace the A/C. That made a difference, but to be honest I've just come from a play date at a friends house they just built, with the highest energy rating they could get...it didn't feel much different to me. They had every door, blind and window open. In summer we close the bedroom curtains in the afternoons, and close doors to rooms we aren't using. We put fans in the bedrooms on super hot days, and DD sleeps with either no blankets or an empty doona cover over her. When she was a baby we'd mainly stay in the lounge where it was coolest, or go outside in the evening air. As soon as we're up in the mornings (6am) I open the doors and let the fresh, cool air in.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    The generation prior to this...ie when I was a kid...almost no one had aircon. I grew up in Townsville with no aircon...sometimes it was freaking hot and humid but we managed, babies rarely wore more than a nappy. There are lots of ways to make it work if having aircon or moving is not an option.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Kaybaby For This Useful Post:

TheGooch  (02-01-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    If you can't move, definitely get fans and keep the house as dark as possible in the day time.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaybaby View Post
    The generation prior to this...ie when I was a kid...almost no one had aircon. I grew up in Townsville with no aircon...sometimes it was freaking hot and humid but we managed, babies rarely wore more than a nappy. There are lots of ways to make it work if having aircon or moving is not an option.
    That's what I was thinking too. We grew up in Perth with temps in the 40's during summer and never had any air con in the house or car. My parents just closed all doors and blinds early in the day to make sure we kept the sun out. On really hot days we had a fan and we used to hang wet towels in the car doors with the windows down lol. We actually only turn our aircons on at home now if it's over about 38 degrees though.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I live in an old house with no air con and no proper heating.

For summer we just have fans in each room and we cope fine. Take DSS outside to play under the hose to cool off, keep the blinds closed through the day (proper blackout blinds) and when it's cool open the house up to let the air in. When it gets really bad we go for a family drive in the car with air con lol.

In winter we have an electric fan heater for the living room, and oil radiators for the bedrooms. DSS knows not to go near the one in his room and it runs continually whilst he is here. We also just make sure we're dressed appropriately, and on the really cold days I do washing and run the dryer and do baking to run the stove to get the extra warmth in the house.

It's never bothered me, been here 10 years. DSS never whinges, in fact in winter he claims he's too warm inside and we have to fight to keep him dressed appropriately lol. I don't like it being too warm inside in winter, I grew up in a house that was always 30 degrees and I'd be wandering around in winter in shorts and t shirt cause it was too damn hot inside. DF minds more, but he's a winter person and just hates being warm in summer. He's fine in winter though, he just finds the house too hot in summer.

DSS was 18 months old when he first started coming here, so never had a baby in here but we are TTC currently and I'm not bothered by it. As previous posters have said there never used to be things like air con and kids were fine. We got our first air con when I was like 10. Same as schools - I laughed when someone I work with refused to send her kid to school on a hot day because the classroom wasn't air conditioned. Not a single classroom or common area when I was in school had air con, we just sucked it up and drank lots of water, got ice blocks at lunch and made fans to cool ourselves with lol.