+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    DD was 2yrs and 2 or 3 months. We talked to her for a little while about getting a big bed (her communication was really good, so we could have proper conversations about what she thought etc.), then set up a single bed with a side rail and blankets instead of a sleeping bag. We gave her the choice of which to sleep in (have a video of that discussion and her choosing the big bed; so cute!), and she slept in it. We moved her cot out of the room a few days later. She NEVER got up without us in the room until she was about 3.5. Mostly that was a good thing, but not so good with toilet training etc. we actually got her a Gro Clock to teach her that it was okay to get out of bed at certain times!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Thanks ladies! ☺

Thanks
    Reviews
    DD was around 18 months when we took the side of her cot which I suppose is pretty early but she kept getting her knee caught in the bars and was screaming out in the middle of her sleep. I was seriously worried she was going to hurt herself. We were lucky though she never got out of bed and would even still shout us in a morning when she woke.

Thanks
    Reviews
    DD was 18m when she went to a bed. She couldn't reach the door handles in that house, so wandering was not an issue and we just made sure her room was all safe.

DS was 2y3m. He only started sleeping through at 2 so moving him wasn't even on the radar. He's more of a PITA with getting up etc but that's just him, he doesn't really do the whole sleep thing well. If we'd left him in a cot he would have climbed out pretty soon as he's an absolute monkey!

For both I didn't use bedrails as the bed design would have created a hazardous gap for them to wedge into. Instead I tightly rolled towels/cotton blankets and put them under the fitted sheet/mattress protector to make a ridge around the edge of the bed. They could easily climb over it but it was enough to signal "edge of bed" to them while sleeping so they wouldn't fall out.

Thanks
    Reviews
    First child was 3. She slept in a bed fine and rarely got out out.
    Second child was 2. She didn't get to sleep til 11pm most nights and at almost 10 years old nothings changed. We co-slept off and on for a few years. Occasionally she still sleeps with us.
    Third child was 16 months. I left my ex (kids dad) and he co-slept til 3 or 4.
    Fourth child we tried the cot and he wouldn't have a bar of it so we have been co-sleeping pretty much from the get-go. As for putting him in his own room and bed he will decide.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    DD went into a single bed with rails at 19 months. She had started refusing to even lay in her cot and would stand up, screaming and rattling the side panel. Moved her to the bed and no problem after that.

Initially I kept her in her sleeping bag with no pillow, but after 6 months switched over to kids pillow and single doona. She rarely gets out of bed herself even though she physically can. If she wakes at night she cries or calls out for us and we go to her.

Before using the bed rail, I did try the 'pool noodle hack' that went around on FB. Massive fail here so I don't recommend it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    DS went into a toddler bed at 18 months, I wrapped the Air wrap around the bed and this prevented him from rolling out. Now at 2.5 we have put him into a king single because he just moves around to much, I have a pillow beside him, never fallen out of bed.