ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default When to take side off the cot / put in own bed?

When did you take the side off the cot, or put your little one in a bed?

And when you did, how did you keep them in bed so they didn't just get up and wander around or play at sleep time? Did they fall out? Did you keep them in a sleeping bag, if they were still in one?

When did you give your little one a pillow? I see they sell kid size ones - but is there really any need for them?

My 2yr old is currently still happy in a cot thankfully, in a sleeping bag and not trying to climb out, but I'm trying to think ahead

2. The Following User Says Thank You to JustJaq For This Useful Post:

gingermillie  (01-01-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Subbing as I've been wondering exactly this for my 18 month old!

AdornedWithCats is online now Winner 2013 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Winner 2014 - Best Username

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 12/6/15Funniest Caption400 Posts in a week300 posts in a week
    My ds started using a full sized pillow around 18 months. Can't answer the other questions though as we cosleep/bedshare.

Thanks
    Reviews
    It was 3 or 4 months after DD turned 2 she started growing out of sleeping bags & getting a bit big for her cot. I slowly transitioned by getting rid of the sleeping bag and using a pillow (an adult size one, low profile) and blanket. That went ok, then we switched to a bed with a rail. We put it in the same position in her room as the cot, kept her bed time routine the same, and she never even tried to get out! It all went really smoothly. I can't even remember when I got rid of the bed rail but that wasn't an issue either she's 4.5 now.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I've wondered this!! I see on Facebook people putting their 1.5-2 year olds in bed. If I put 1.5 year old DD in a bed she would climb out, open her door, walk/fall down the stairs and raid the pantry

7. The Following User Says Thank You to babyno1onboard For This Useful Post:

Fi Poledancer  (02-01-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    DD was 2 when we took the side off. She wasnt in a sleeping bag and fell out a couple of times so we put a rail on it. She got out a couple of times but we put her in. We moved her to a bed at 2 years 2 months. We got DD a pillow at 2.

DS was 19ish months when we took the sides off the cot and 20.5 months when we moved him into a bed. He was still in a sleeping bag which, even though he could move in, he'd just stay in bed and cry.

He's now 2 years, 2 months and does climb out of bed a bit, we just put him back in. He has a pillow in his bed but he doesnt use it - mainly for us when we lay down with him to sleep

Thanks
    Reviews
    My DD2 LOVED her cot. Just loved it. She stayed in the cot until she was 3yrs 3mths old! We only got her a bed because she was seriously getting too long for the cot. She asked for her cot back for at least 2 months after she got her bed. She didn't tend to get up and wander around once she went into the bed. She had a pillow from about 18 months, maybe a little later. We stopped using a sleeping bag around 2.5 and used a fleecy pj suit over normal pj's and blankets (it's cold where we are) so there was no need to transition out of a sleeping bag when she went into her bed.

Thanks
    Reviews
    DS1 was 2.5 we went to qld on holiday and I was potty training him and the only option for a bed was a single so he slept in that no worries. I just put a pillow under his mattress for protection. When we got home he wanted his cot so I let him use it but just before his 3rd bday he climbed out of it and scared himself silly as he fell on the floor. So that night he went into the king single I had for him with a bed rail and have never had any issues. My folks in turn had a mini bed given to them so he used that at their house then went to a single and now has a double there.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    DD1 was about 24 months and she went to a toddler bed with no issues.

DS went to a toddler bed at 26 months because he was climbing out and he had a broken arm so I didn't want him breaking the other one and have child services knocking on my door It was a disaster for a few months so put him back in the cot and at 3 he asked for a big bed and that was it.

DD2 was over 3 and the transition was a nightmare. She was the best sleeper until she moved but she was getting too big for the cot. I put her straight into an ikea bunk (she can't fall out) but she could climb in and out.

The ikea bunk is perfect height as it isn't as tall as normal bunks. It is below my shoulders. This is it here http://m.ikea.com/au/en/catalog/products/art/00253813/

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/4/15100 Posts in a week
    DD loved her cot. I waited until she was 3.5 and she could understand a gro clock. We kept her cot in her room with her new single bed and told her if she got up, we would come in and put her into her cot.

She never fell out and stayed in her bed at all times until just after she turned 4 and started having separation anxiety, nightmares etc.

Skip the kid sized bed. Get a regular single bed - try and get one with a trundle incase they fall out you can pull the bottom mattress out or get one of those side guards and have the bed against a wall to stop falls.