ADVERTISEMENT

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I dont see the problem. Those ages my main concern would be the 3yo.
    We are at the beach atm and my 2.5 yo mainly just plays in the sand a my 7yo can only go out waist deep with an adult.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    We are currently at my in laws beach house, you can just see the kids near the boat in the photo , 3 kids in the water (DS -6 and his twin cousins -5) it's really not that hard to watch them in the water, we take turns of watching from the deck or grass or go in with them, plus it's a great opportunity to teach them water safety - all our kids know they can't go in without an adult outside, we've been doing it every year since DS was born , 3 families with 6 kids so I'd give it a go - the kids will love it! IMG_1483101125.431895.jpg

Thanks
    Reviews
    It wouldn't concern me. We live 5 minutes from the beach and we go all the time. The beach is lots of fun. Just swim between the flags, teach the kids about what to do in a rip etc. and ask the lifeguards what the conditions are like if it makes you feel better.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I don't like the beach, and I have 4 kids and a husband that gets too easily distracted digging a hole or whatever to actually watch the kids, so am left doing that on my own.
    It always makes me super nervous to go. I am a bit like you, I worry about it a lot. I was never taught to swim so I guess that adds to my fear as well. But I find when I do get up the courage to go, it is not as bad as I made it in my head. I don't get any enjoyment myself, as I am just doing a constant head count over and over, but they enjoy it a lot so I do make an effort. My eldest is 7 so we have a pretty strict "no more than waist height" rule.
    We live pretty far from the beach though so it only happens a handful of times a year.
    I would be inclined to say go, but make it clear to your kids that they have to follow whatever boundaries you set regarding how deep etc, and that if they don't follow it, you aren't comfortable letting them stay in the water.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Ahalfdozen For This Useful Post:

A-Squared  (31-12-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Sorry OP but I fail to see the problem with this place

'The small coastal resort of Venus Bay is situated on a narrow peninsula of land, bordered on one side by the open sea of Bass Strait and on the other by the calm waters of Anderson Inlet.

Venus Bay is very much a holiday town, with a large collection of houses and units available for holiday rental and a caravan park, all located within a short distance of the coast. The town's commercial centre, situated on Jupiter Boulevard at the Centre Road junction, features a general store, food outlets and a number of speciality shops. Internet access is available at the Venus Bay Caravan Park.

Venus Bay has a number of pristine surf beaches which front the waters of Bass Strait and are nestled within the foreshore reserve of the Cape Liptrap Coastal Park. This park extends along the coast to Waratah Bay, offering a number of scenic bushwalking tracks.

The placid waters of Anderson Inlet, which resembles a large lake, is ideal for boating and fishing. This large body of water extends extends all the way from Inverloch to the mouth of the Tarwin River at the small township of Tarwin Lower.

Venus Bay is central to many natural attractions in the South Gippsland area, including Wilsons Promontory National Park, which is just under an hour's drive east.'

http://www.travelvictoria.com.au/venusbay/

7. The Following User Says Thank You to HollyGolightly81 For This Useful Post:

TheGooch  (31-12-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm chiming in with the other replies and saying it sounds ideal. You have a year to educate your children and set boundaries, besides that they should also have water awareness and swimming from school.

There should be plenty of other activities for all of you to do. I don't really see it as being any more dangerous than a busy shopping centre. Supervise them, keep them in eyesight, and it should be fine

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    Venus Bay is lovely and very family orientated. I don't think it has very high waves? Your elder 3 should be able to swim confidently and the oldest will be a teenager so while you obviously still need to watch them, you really only need to be a hawk with your youngest. And your partner surely can help supervise?

Worst case scenario, don't go. As Gooch said, an invitation isn't a summons.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to delirium For This Useful Post:

HollyGolightly81  (31-12-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I know Venus Bay and the other surrounding beach towns around it well. One of the more safer parts of Vic ( and i much prefer it to Inverloch or Cowes)

The trip is a celebration and you could have crap weather and have to stay inside the whole time anyway. So much to do there rather than just swimming at the beach.
    If you don't want to be near a beach then suggest a house within the town or a completely different area that has more shops etc (Daylesford, Lakes Entrance, Cowes, Yarra Valley)

Just because your sister doesn't have children doesn't make her wishes invalid either. You have to supervise your kids everywhere not just at the beach!
    If it's a great deal then do it. If not, suggest an alternative with valid reasons why (and don't get preachy about it...people without kids don't understand) Memories are more important then squabbling over a destination that you're not happy about.

12. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Juventina For This Useful Post:

gingermillie  (31-12-2016),HollyGolightly81  (31-12-2016),rosey82  (31-12-2016),TheGooch  (31-12-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Sounds perfect! It wouldn't even occur to me not to go.
    It's hardly a beach with huge waves.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I lived in Venus Bay for 6 years and I too have 4 kids (similar ages to the OP) can I just let you know that it is in the top 10 dangerous beaches in Australia. I never took the kids there to swim on my own and if DP was there we still weren't swimming as such just wading in the shallows if the tide was out.
    Yes it is a beautiful beach. There are 5 beaches all with difficult access, long staircases etc. Beach number one has the lifeguard patrol which is a very small and very crowded area. There is insufficient parking at this beach and you're in for a long hot walk up and down a steep hill.
    Also depending where you are staying it can be a 10 min drive to this beach and the shops. If you do end up staying there I'd suggest a house within walking distance to shops and beach number one.

We used to drive out to Walkerville and Waratah Bay to take the kids to the beach in summer, both stunning places. You could stay there but no shops or anything. Depends what you want I suppose.

Inverloch has better beaches but is very very crowded over summer....

Thats my two cents....oh and the inlet beach has Venus Bay is a mud pit.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to RoseMay For This Useful Post:

Unschooling4  (31-12-2016)