+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    DS (6) can tell the hour, half hour and quarter to and past, they did it at school (kindergarten) he can only do it on a clock with numbers so still has trouble reading our watches or clock at home ( with no numbers)

Thanks
    Reviews
    My son learn this in yr 1. We also purchased him a cactus watch. These watches are great for helping kids to learn to tell the time. I have seen teenaged struggle to tell the time unless it is in digital as that is how it is on most things such as computers, iPads, phones etc IMG_1483054220.711938.jpg

Thanks
    Reviews
    As a teacher, I find it amazing that there are teachers that are not covering the whole curriculum. But learning to tell the time should start in grade one (time to the half hour) then in grade two its to the quarter hour and grade three to the minute.
    In saying that though, telling the time can be a really difficult concept for kids and they might learn it for a little while, but if it's not being constantly used, then they can forget it easily. It is also one of those concepts that a child just needs to be somewhat developmentally ready to learn - they can practice it for ages and struggle with it, then all of a sudden it can just 'click' for them and it makes sense.
    My advice would be to have an analogue clock at home, and encourage them to use it whenever they have a question about time - 'when are we going here', 'how long till this'.
    Hope that helps!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to kel00 For This Useful Post:

LaDiDah  (30-12-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    My 7 year old is just learning this now. My eldest two probably a bit older maybe 9ish.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My son (7) is learning about 24 hour clocks and roman numerals atm actually

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    My 6 year old DD learned how to tell time on the hour, half hour, and quarter hour on an analog clock in prep - this coming year (Grade 1) her curriculum involves time to the 5 minute increments, but most children don't really 'get' it properly until around grade 2-3. Before then, it tends to be more recognising a 'picture' and half/quarters of the clock until they have the cognitive understanding to get it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My brother is 36 and still struggles to read an analogue clock.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    My son is 8 and almost has it but not confidently yet.

My daughter who is 6 (just finished prep) understands the hour but nothing else

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    My son is 7 (was yr 2 this year) and his class learnt this yr. Dh helped DS with it as he was struggling a little. We bought him one of those cactus watches a previous poster mentioned and it helped a lot. It meant we could incorporate his learning in daily activities.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    My eldest is only 4, so she hasn't learned to do this yet. She's been able to tell the hour since she was about 3, and can usually read a clock to the half hour now. I have teenage relatives though who can't really read an analogue clock.