+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Jennaisme View Post
    Sorry. I just noticed there's a heap of posts that my phone didn't give me notification for. I don't really understand the growth chart thing. Is 9kg is on the low end of the scale at 9 months does that mean he isn't the normal weight range for 18 months or do I just not understand what you've said?
    Do you have a baby book with your baby's measurement since birth charted? This is standard where I am from - perhaps you live in a different area?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    Thankyou for clarifying. I am still concerned - I just can't understand how the current situation can be so dire yet until this evening you had no idea if your child weighed 5kg or 9kg?

I get that the experience when your child was 6 months was very difficult - however if your child is suffering so to the point where they are skin and bones and their teeth are discolored I just don't get how it can get to that point. My child poops funny I take him to the GP. Don't get an answer I like or understand - go to a different GP. Please don't let a bad experience 1 year ago delay treatment any longer for your child.
    Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    Do you have a baby book with your baby's measurement since birth charted? This is standard where I am from - perhaps you live in a different area?
    I am not the OP but I barely weigh/ed my kids. I currently do not know what DD weighs (I have an approx guess).

I have no issues with weight with DD though but DS is not a big eater. I did not weigh him. Probably for at least a year. I have only recently weighed him as he has learnt to step onto scales at home.

My DS is skinny. Very skinny compared to a lot of kids. But I happen to have good experiences with my GP when it comes to my kids. If I had bad experiences such as the OP's then I too would hesitate to do things like weigh my child or take them to the dr all the time since they were not helpful or fobbed me off.

I would worry and stress about it though. And maybe get to a point where nothing I have tried works so maybe MAYBE this time someone will listen.

OP - if the GP does not help or provide you with any alternatives then I would head to the hospital.

I hope you get some answers or help for your DS.

harvs is offline Winner 2014 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Winner 2016 - Member you'd most like to meet
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 2/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 19/3/15Busiest Member of the Week200 Posts in a week
    Jenna, you don't have to justify yourself or your prior actions. It's very hard when medical professionals dismiss you constantly because it can undermine your mumma instinct.

That being said, I think now/soon would be a good time to go to ED and get it all checked out. Has your DS had blood tests etc?

Big hugs, it all sounds very upsetting x

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to harvs For This Useful Post:

babyno1onboard  (29-12-2016),Frankenmum  (30-12-2016),TheGooch  (29-12-2016),twinklify  (29-12-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I'll have a look at my book (uk but I think the chart is the same). But, my 7 month old was 8.5kgs at 6 months and was between the 50th-75th so I would think 9kgs at 18 months would be very low or not chart.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    It looks like he's just above the 2nd, between 2nd and 9th, so he's still within normal range, just the smaller end.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default 18 month old weight gain.

I think it's more important what the growth pattern is like than the actual number. My DS was born on the 3rd centile and is still thin. He eats only small amounts too. He's about the 10th centile now. So I'm not worried as he's just a small boy.

What size was your DS at birth? If he's losing weight that's different. DS gets weighed a lot because he loves stepping on the scale when he has his bath. He fluctuates a bit but slowly his weight goes up.

If your DS is acutely unwell and not eating/losing weight then go to ED- it's for emergencies. If it's concerns over a longer period of time I'd go to the GP, a different one if you didn't get a good response with your last one.

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Flower78 For This Useful Post:

babyno1onboard  (30-12-2016),gingermillie  (30-12-2016),VicPark  (30-12-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Flower78 View Post
    I think it's more important what the growth pattern is like than the actual number. My DS was born on the 3rd centile and is still thin. He eats only small amounts too. He's about the 10th centile now. So I'm not worried as he's just a small boy.

What size was your DS at birth? If he's losing weight that's different. DS gets weighed a lot because he loves stepping on the scale when he has his bath. He fluctuates a bit but slowly his weight goes up.

If your DS is acutely unwell and not eating/losing weight then go to ED- it's for emergencies. If it's concerns over a longer period of time I'd go to the GP, a different one if you didn't get a good response with your last one.
    True, if he's always been following the same line and not dropping below then it may just be how he is. But, from what you have described, I would be pretty worried and go to the ER or insist your GP refers you for tests.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 29/5/15Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week100 Posts in a week
    My daughter was a similar weight at 18 months. She has not lost weight recently though.

I completely get how stressful it is. I got dismissed by a lot of people when she was 3 months old and was losing weight. In our case, I took her to ED.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    My girl is 2.5kg and stuck on 10kg-10.5kg. She has issues gaining as Many hubbers will know.

She has reached her milestones, she's quiet small, had chromosome testings etc. she's just petite. Dr did suggest growth hormones....don't think I'll take that up.

@Cheesecake you mentioned allergies could be a factor, could you please explain further. Would your DD give a reaction or just eat the foods like normal?

Thanks
    Reviews
    I would just try different food fruit bread Mc Donalds KFC give him whatever he likes.

Does he not like ice cream or ice lollies.

Take him out to bakeries and let him pick food he likes.

You just need to fatten him up with anything he likes.

Do you take him to park and beach...running around should make him hungry and have a picnic lunch ready?